World's Championship Bar-B-Que Contest in Houston

Smokin J

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be able to attend the World's Championship Bar-B-Que Contest in Houston, TX this past weekend. The trip started off a little rough, being that my flight was cancelled Thursday night, but I was able to get catch a flight out of JFK Friday morning in spite of the snow storm we had. As soon as I got into town, we went straight to the event. I have never seen any thing like this before!

I've always heard that every thing is bigger in Texas, and they weren't kidding. Each teams site was bigger than the next. I saw some of the most impressive equipment at this event. There were over 200,000 people there!

We had SPONSOR badges to the "BRISKET CASES" tent, and we were treated like royalty. They welcomed me into their cooking area for a tour, and I was amazed at the cookers and equipment they had set up. We partyied for 2 straight days eating awesome que & taking advantage of the open bar the whole time. There were about 485 people having a great time at this tent alone, dancing to the music of the Bourbon Street Band. I spent a lot of time hanging with those guys too, and they were cool as hell.

It was truly heaven for any one that loves BBQ, an excess of alcohol, great music and cool people.

I hope I get to go back again next year! Even though I was invied to join the team for next year, I kind of enjoyed just being there as a spectator.

Here are the pics I took. They didn't really come out that great (open bar), and they don't do the event justice but it should give you an idea of what this event is about.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=388486&id=319234975045&saved

Thanks for the photos. I didn't realize how big the contest was.
Thanks
Mike
Swinebuck

thanks for the pictures and the time they give everybody for tear down is even more impressive less than a day to have it all gone...

Great music, cool people, great Q and excess of alcohol??!! Maybe you can share one of those SPONSOR badges next year!! :p

wish i had known i was in there tent on friday night for a bit we were around the corner on the front row

wish i had known i was in there tent on friday night for a bit we were around the corner on the front row

Yeh, that would have been cool to hang with some brethren. We were at the tabe directly in front of the band.

Back