• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Box

Box looks pretty good. MM and chunks is a good way to go. I would have left the end pieces out of the MM and put in 6 that were not end pieces. If you can't get 6 off of one shoulder, put some similar shaped from another(as long as they are just as good). Laying them across the bottom of the box like you did makes it very hard for a judge to see that they aren't all from the same MM. In their eyes it's 6 pieces from the same cut.

The judge that get to sample that end piece will receive a greater ratio of whatever surface rub/sauce/etc to meat than the other judges. Might be a good thing, but might not be...

Looking at the first pic you posted compared to the pic you posted today are starkly different. You've made alot of progress!!!

There are a few tweaks that have been mentioned above but good job improving:thumb:

Your meat definitely needs some finishing. A light saucing will give it the shine that makes it look moist and like something that is going to taste delicious. You can research online, there's a lot of videos out there discussing what various teams are doing as far as finishing sauce and final preparation. Don't bathe it...but it definitely needs a shine.

Also, I stopped doing pulled this year and got my first ever two calls in pork just doing MM and chunks. In my opinion, pulled is difficult for two reasons. 1) It always seems to look sloppier than the other cuts and 2) It dries out faster. I don't think its a mystery why I started doing better once I left it out of my box.

Your doing the right thing...research, ask questions and keep on keeping on! Good luck!

Your meat definitely needs some finishing. A light saucing will give it the shine that makes it look moist and like something that is going to taste delicious. You can research online, there's a lot of videos out there discussing what various teams are doing as far as finishing sauce and final preparation. Don't bathe it...but it definitely needs a shine.

Also, I stopped doing pulled this year and got my first ever two calls in pork just doing MM and chunks. In my opinion, pulled is difficult for two reasons. 1) It always seems to look sloppier than the other cuts and 2) It dries out faster. I don't think its a mystery why I started doing better once I left it out of my box.

Your doing the right thing...research, ask questions and keep on keeping on! Good luck!

Thank you for your input, just curious if it was about my first picture or the one I posted today as an update. Just want to make sure I'm putting the right comments with the right picture.

Thank you for your input, just curious if it was about my first picture or the one I posted today as an update. Just want to make sure I'm putting the right comments with the right picture.

I was talking about the first. I didn't see the second picture. That is MUCH better! Agree with comments about end pieces, but you have improved significantly! Nicely done!

I would say that the box looked just fine considering on your score. Congrats on the win! Good to have you there and hope to see you again soon.

Noel

Thanks. I enjoyed it greatly. Always looking to learn and improve! I want to move up and get one of this awesome unique plaques.

Nice job on the second box. Thanks for posting this thread and shining a lite on what would seem like an easy catagory, but in fact seems to be a frustrating issue on what judges look for in a pork box turn in. Here is a shot of my last turn in for pork.
I will probably going to go with two selections on my next comp.

Last edited:
Back