MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #7111
boakley
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dueces View Post
Me too. I bought 4 of them, they rang up at $4.99 each and there was a $4.00 rebate on each one. Not bad for $0.99 each and they come with a small bag of charcoal.
I did get the rebate, and just checked the receipt. You are right...it was only 99 cents
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #7112
pAT_13
Got Wood.

That's a great deal...I wish I had a Menards by me.
pAT_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #7113
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by pAT_13 View Post
That's a great deal...I wish I had a Menards by me.
Ya might want to check a Kmart if you have one in your area. I picked a few of them up there.... reduced to $4 each!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #7114
kcarz
Found some matches.

Default UDS drum types

I have a chance to get a drum for free from a motorcycle shop. These drums have had oil in them and others have brake cleaner in them. If thoroughly burned out are these ok to use or do I need to try and find a new or food grade drum. I'm looking forward to making a UDS this winter and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
kcarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #7115
snorulz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

well, I have done it, I have read all 7114 post in this thread. It only took 40+ gallons of #2 Diesel and 20 gallons of Jet-A fuel. Now I can continue my build and I don't have any questions and highly doubt I will since this thread covers everything at least 3 times.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #7116
boakley
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorulz View Post
well, I have done it, I have read all 7114 post in this thread. It only took 40+ gallons of #2 Diesel and 20 gallons of Jet-A fuel. Now I can continue my build and I don't have any questions and highly doubt I will since this thread covers everything at least 3 times.
Yeah, but as you will find, question arise on the way. Half the fun of building it it figuring stuff out. I don't know what the other half is, but WOW, it makes some great fatty's.
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #7117
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarz View Post
I have a chance to get a drum for free from a motorcycle shop. These drums have had oil in them and others have brake cleaner in them. If thoroughly burned out are these ok to use or do I need to try and find a new or food grade drum. I'm looking forward to making a UDS this winter and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Burn it out good............
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #7118
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarz View Post
The oil drums will be ok, don't know about brake cleaner. I would wash out the drum real good with hot water and soap, to get as much oil out as you can. Then cut the top and drill your intake holes. then do a good burn out to get anything left behind.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #7119
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog043 View Post
The oil drums will be ok, don't know about brake cleaner. I would wash out the drum real good with hot water and soap, to get as much oil out as you can. Then cut the top and drill your intake holes. then do a good burn out to get anything left behind.
Brake cleaner is pretty volatile stuff... I'd be surprised if it left anything behind whatsoever. If it did, it wouldn't be good brake cleaner. ;-) The drum could have a lining though!
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #7120
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't imagine burning brake cleaner is any worse than burning epoxy liner. One might be harder on my eyebrows than the other but once the fire goes out you have bare metal either way.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #7121
barkerw
Got rid of the matchlight.

I am in the process of building my UDS and i couldn't get ahold of any 9 guage expanded for the basket, i ended up with some 14 guage expanded. Am i going to be ok with that?
barkerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #7122
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerw View Post
I am in the process of building my UDS and i couldn't get ahold of any 9 guage expanded for the basket, i ended up with some 14 guage expanded. Am i going to be ok with that?
It'll be fine for a while. You may just have to replace it sooner than you would with a heavier guage, that's all.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #7123
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

Pass on the brake cleaner drum. Burnout temperatures may not compare to welding temperatures, and you don't get your face in as close while doing a burnout like you would when welding, but there is a firsthand account of how sick someone got from phosgene gas when he welded metal he had cleaned with brake cleaner. Read it for yourself and then decide.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

No doubt that this was a very isolated incident , but with so many other suitable drums out there and readily available, this one may not be worth the risk.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #7124
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

wow ^^^^^^^ good article, don't think I'd use brake cleaner drum.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #7125
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I built a couple drums that contained Zep parts cleaner. Unlined closed drums, cut the heads off with an air chisel, steam cleaned them, then burnt them out.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker