Finally a Weber Kettle!

LukeRoz

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So I finally found a Weber Kettle on craigslist! It's an 18.5 inch that I got for 20 bucks...was hoping for 15 but I've been wanting one and this was the first one in the area I've seen under 40. It's in pretty good shape and probably would've cooked just fine but I needed a little project to work on. Took it apart this weekend and cleaned and sanded and polished away! Not sure how to clean/restore the actual kettle/lid so any suggestions would be great....

Anyways, here are a bunch of progress pics....

Attachments

• weber1.jpg
    weber1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 220
  • weber2.jpg
    weber2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 219
  • weber3.jpg
    weber3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 218
  • weber4.jpg
    weber4.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 218
  • weber5.jpg
    weber5.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 218
  • weber7.jpg
    weber7.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 220
  • weber10.jpg
    weber10.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 219
  • weber11.jpg
    weber11.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 219
  • weber12.jpg
    weber12.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 220
0000 steel wool will work on the lid and bowl, along with polishing the legs and ash catcher, oh and the vent too:biggrin1: Nice pickup.

When i call the person selling the grill i will usually ask them if they will take a lesser dollar amount, i will give them a number not just will you take less, if not i will really look over the grill and try to talk them down some.

Ya I used steel wool and some metal cleaner/polish on the legs and brackets. Will it scratch and take the black color off the kettle and lid?

Ya I used steel wool and some metal cleaner/polish on the legs and brackets. Will it scratch and take the black color off the kettle and lid?
Nope the guys over at the WKC (Weber kettle club) do a lot of rescues and this is what they do, to rehab a dirty kettle.

looks like you got a good handle on it. yes, the steel wool will clean it up just fine. just make sureyou washeverything off with soap and water. any left over steel wool will cause or promote rust. raw metal i just coat with a very thin film of pam.

The 18.5 kettle can be a very versitle cooker. It is often overlooked. It is a very effective direct grilling machine obviously. I have done a good deal of indirect cooking too. I use the weber charcoal rails to keep the coals organized and made my own "hover grill" with carriage bolts, washers, and nuts and a smokey joe grate. This then gives me two levels of indirect space. For chicken I just rotate the pieces from upper grate to lower halfway through the cook. I have made many chicken wings tailgating with a 18 1/2 and a hover grill.

Nice work on cleaning up a vintage kettle! :thumb: You should get many fine cooks off that one.

Nice find!! Looks like the cleanup is going well!! You will enjoy it!!:thumb:

Back