MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default KCBS to Hide Team Bios Soon

Got my March Bullsheet today and I'm reading where the KCBS will soon hide the team bios section to make it viewable to only members. While I don't feel real strongly about this, I do think it's significantly self-defeating. What if you went to your favorite football team's Web site and they hid the rosters and player bios from you? What if you went to the NASCAR site and couldn't read the driver bios unless you were a driver yourself? What fun would that be? Not saying many of our teams are as popular as a NASCAR driver but some are well-known through books and the Food Network. Why not let the public see their team bios? If the public goes to find out more about Ray because they've seen his books in Barnes & Noble, they're going to see just how wide-spread and popular this sport is. If potential sponsors take a look, they'll see just how popular this sport has become and maybe be more likely to support a team or a contest. ESPECIALLY when they see us teams putting our own sponsor names up there in our bios. It legitimizes claims they might be hearing from people wanting them to become a sponsor. Maybe someone from the general public is visiting a contest and meets some nice people when visiting with the teams... they go to find out more about them on the KCBS site and damn it, they can't get to the info! I just think it's wrong to hide team bios from the public. We've all put time and effort into promoting the sport. Why hide the sheer numbers that speak of our successes? Thoughts?

Last edited by Jeff_in_KC; 03-02-2009 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: typo correction - the "snot syndrome"
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Plowboy

I think posting bios should be for members in good standing only, but not access to view bios. I also think that you should be a KCBS member if you compete in a KCBS contest.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Jeff/Todd - you both make valid points and I agree fully..

I think the biggest loss is for the avg. team that is proud of their involvement and wants to share their enthusiam and team accomplishments with a co-worker, friend or family member etc.

I'll continue to hold my $35 membership fee renewal until I see KCBS consistently demonstrate they have the best interests of the general membership at the forefront.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I agree with Todd - on both points.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Jeff_in_KC

Absolutely, Todd! You don't get to post a bio unless you're a member, I agree with you and with KCBS on that. Makes total sense. But the public should still get to view those bios, regardless.... for all the reasons I stated AND what Vinny said... so their friends, family and neighbors can see them.
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

KCBS is a non-profit organization and as such if they are a tax exempt organization through the IRS either a 501(c)3 or a 501(c)7 there are potential issues relating to web sites and who has access to which parts of your web site, i.e. members only, general public, etc.

Having just finished dealing with the IRS over the past 11 months getting our Barbecue Association a tax exempt status, some of the issues that the IRS can raise is that the web site is more of a for profit venture as opposed to something set up purely for the benefit of associations members.

Don't know if this is the case in this particular instance with KCBS but it was something I encountered in our dealings with the government (try to remember their here to help LOL).

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

I have not read the article and the BOD did discuss removing non members. An e-mail is being sent to all who are not members advising them in advance. I do not think the BOD considered where the Bios would be posted.

I have sent your comments to the BOD. I think they are valid and should be considered at the next BOD meeting. I will keep you advised.
Thank you for the thoughts.
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I agree with Todd, only members should be allowed to have a team bio, but they should be available to the public to view.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks Merl. I agree the bios should only be for members in good standing and for the reasons mentioned also agree they should be viewable by the public. My .02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
I have not read the article and the BOD did discuss removing non members. An e-mail is being sent to all who are not members advising them in advance. I do not think the BOD considered where the Bios would be posted.

I have sent your comments to the BOD. I think they are valid and should be considered at the next BOD meeting. I will keep you advised.
Thank you for the thoughts.
Merl

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

I'm somewhat puzzled by this completely counterintuitive idea.

Of course the posting of team bios should be limited to members in good standing, but what on earth is the point of restricting their view? How does it promote the face of barbeque to the public to hide team profiles from them?

Of course it's easy enough for any team to maintain their own website, myspace page, etc., but those who proudly promote their affiliation to KCBS in those venues should have the courtesy returned, don't you think?

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Make it simple, allow teams in good standing to post bios but keep it open to view to the public!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

It would be cool if it also pulled in your KCBS Rankings on your bio page for members only. Of course, that would take years to do.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Dog BBQ View Post
It would be cool if it also pulled in your KCBS Rankings on your bio page for members only. Of course, that would take years to do.
Or link from rankings to the team bio. There's a lot of cool interactive stuff that would be easy to do with a good base of data and architecture.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

I think that the teams in "good standing" should be able to have their profile, and viewable by the public. It is something that I have used when approaching a company for sponsorship, verifying that I actually exist. I have used the pickled pig site as well, but, when I send out the proposal letter, I clearly state in the letter, "KCBS member in good standing" in the request letter...adding to the validity of my request. I may not support everything that happens in the board, or comes from the board, but, as long as I spend my time going to contests that are sanctioned by KCBS I will continue to support that by being a member, just as I am joining Mid-Atlantic for the same reason....wanting to support those who put on the contests....
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
ammoore
On the road to being a farker

Default gonna have to partially disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I think posting bios should be for members in good standing only, but not access to view bios. I also think that you should be a KCBS member if you compete in a KCBS contest.

Being a member in good standing to maintain a bio on their web site is reasonable but I would disagree with having to be a KCBS member to compete. We already pay an average of $200 to enter + meat + expenses now you are saying...wait now you have to be a member in good standing. Where does it end?
ammoore is offline   Reply With Quote