MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #31
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

my first competition I did myself and actually did better in results than my second one with a team. The results weren't due to my team but I did fair.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #32
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I do it all the time. Just have an accurate timeline and follow it. Get stuff done early. Don't fall behind schedule, it's too hard to catch up.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #33
Rick Hamilton
On the road to being a farker

Many of my comps are just me. I have used both gravity fed and currently a stick burner. Go to bed early and then a couple power naps in the early morning. Works out fine. The bigger challenge is the drive home without someone to share the driving duties...especially when 8-18 hours from home.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #34
Rambo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I don't see why not if you're organized
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #35
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstoll View Post
Hey just a quick question -

Is it possible for just a one-man "team" to realistically be able to compete in local BBQ competitions? Meaning, just myself? I'm not talking about the American Royal or some of the other very big competitions, just smaller, local ones with maybe less than 50 teams (yet still "official" KCBS).

Having caught the bug over the last two months I'm thinking about a nice stick burner (or something else) but one of the factors that enters into that equation is potentially using the cooker to compete, meaning I might need a somewhat bigger cooker than what I'd typically just use at home or for church-related entertainment, for example. Like a Lang 48 vs. a 60, etc.

I did it one time when Rich had to work. I used a bullet smoker and a weber, one table and one chair, (no tent) and had my 4 little kids running around me. It was a contest of 50 teams. I did pretty good.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #36
Nordy
On the road to being a farker

I usually cook alone. It definitely can be done. It's more work... but you don't have to split the winnings either! I will sometimes have a box runner Sat AM which helps a lot.

GO FOR IT!
Nordy
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #37
Rocky_Northern
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

well i saw BK BBQ do it and win a grand turn around same day drive 150 miles enter another and win gc at that one copmletly by himself
he left before the awards by the way
true story

Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #38
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

I've done it before. I don't think my results really suffered but the amount of extra work didn't make it very fun. I personally don't want to make a habit of it.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #39
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep...lots of folks do...and do well! Me?...not gonna happen unless Rhana kicks the bucket...then I'm moving to So-Cal to live with Steph!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #40
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I do it all the time, probably half of the contests I did this year were solo. The other half my wife comes with me and she is my box runner. Someone else added to the mix at this point would be in my way more than they would be a help.

I use Yoder pellet cookers and get plenty of sleep.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #41
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

Parrot head drove from South Dakota by himself, set up, cooked, ran his own turn ins, tore down, and drove home from Ohio this weekend by himself I'm pretty sure. Oh, and he won! Congrats to him! ( All that from 1 man. I think it's time to start testing for performance enhancers in bbq comps. He's super human!)
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #42
wrenfro12
Full Fledged Farker

I only cook backyard so take it for what it's worth.....My team used to be me and my college age daughter. She found a boyfriend and now hanging out with dad is not as much fun any more.

I am now starting to do comps solo and it is not so bad....The hardest part for me is I have bad knees and running the boxes and getting ready for the next turn in can be painful. since going solo I have switched from a stick burner to a couple of UDS. With my knees I do need the rest at knight.

Wilbur's Been Smokin' Somethin'
Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com
wrenfro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #43
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Yep...lots of folks do...and do well! Me?...not gonna happen unless Rhana kicks the bucket...then I'm moving to So-Cal to live with Steph!

Yea, cooking alone takes organization and focus. One must limit distractions such as mind altering substances and overly socializing.