Cleaning your grill grates?

wolfkeg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Last edited:
Nice to know. I usually brush then wipe down with a cloth towel. Nice to know that I may be doing something right!:shocked:

I use one of these from GFS.
images

I save the cleaner pieces of used foil from leftovers. That seems to work out okay. I read about the dangers of wire brushes on here a year or so ago and got scared.

I bought a cleaning "stone" at Target a month or so ago. I'm not sure how to use it precisely and am not sure if I like it

Nice to know. I usually brush then wipe down with a cloth towel. Nice to know that I may be doing something right!:shocked:
X2..I typically use a wet rag with some soap on first pass- then the dry side of it.

I just use a pyroletic process....or, in English...I just load up with charcoal and leave to burn right up, about 500°F for about an hour or so then just wipe the dust off.

I bought a plastic tray that is big enough to hold my grate and soak it in soapy water, then scrub with a stainless steel brush. I then rinse with a hose end sprayer, clean as new.

Some of these methods seem like they are great for steel type grates, but what about for cast iron? I wouldn't want to get water or soap on them every time I needed to clean. Also wouldn't want to burn them clean. Both would require re-seasoning.

i use a ss painters brush. i don't think any brisstles have broken off yet.
but you always follow with a piece of cloth or paper towel dipped in oil
to lube things up anyway.

I throw them on my gas grill until the smoking stops. I wipe the ash off after they cool.

Some of these methods seem like they are great for steel type grates, but what about for cast iron? I wouldn't want to get water or soap on them every time I needed to clean. Also wouldn't want to burn them clean. Both would require re-seasoning.
I have CI in my CharGriller I just scrub them off with a foil ball before I shut it down.
almost 6 yrs old and still look like new

Those wire fibres are pretty scary things. I've been using the standard wire brush and a water spray on them, but I'm going to change things up after reading this news.

Back