Wicked Good

I'd gotten the message because I had written them about a sponsorship after I saw the great review of their lump. A day after they wrote me a message explaining that they had maxed themselves out on sponsorships, I got another message from them saying that the lump was going to become unavailable anyway since their South American source was no longer available. That's too bad because from everything I gathered, they had some really good chit. I'd say second choice for me is going to be to try Duraflame's lump and Ozark Oak's lump.

Only lump I ever see out here is Best of the West Mesquite lump.

Jeff_in_KC said:
. I'd say second choice for me is going to be to try Duraflame's lump and Ozark Oak's lump.

I took the plunge today and ordered some of the WG Weekend Warrior today. I hope it is half as good as the review.

Where do you find Ozark Oak in the KC area? Is B&B available in KC?

never tried Wicked Good yet. I've been continually pleased with Nature's Own Lump Charwood... recently placed an order for 80 lbs.

20 lb bag is $10.95 plus shipping (from Rhode Island)

I mix with logs so I never spent the time to study the burn times, but it seems efficient enough...

100% virgin hardwood - no slabwood or kindling

http://www.naturesownonline.com/shop/index.php?action=category&id=9

As far as I know, Ozark Oak isn't available in the KC area. Keep meaning to call the business (no Web site for them) but get sidetracked at work (damn work!). I know someone who has a palate of it and said they'd get me a few bags to try. If I like it, it might be worth the drive to Yellville, Arkansas to load up the van.

B&B? Don't know...

Guys, the burn time on the WG is really long. In a ceramic with a full load 30 hours +. The only negatives are: It is really neutral as far as flavor goes, and the comp blend is harder to light. The lump adds no flavor at all. You have to be totally dependant on chunks of wood.

Well it sounds like they have gone through this before so lets hope they find a new source and get the product back to market. They sound comitted to making a quality product.

I'm a huge WGC comp. blend fan it burns amazingly well. I get it up to 800 or down below 200 in my Primo Oval. You have to really let it go in the chimney for a bit before adding it to the pile in a ceramic or it may choke out. And this winter it sometimes took two loads of the New York Times to get the Chimney started. But it will burn forever. I also agree about neutral flavor I usually throw some mesquite chunk in for grilling or some hickory for smoking. Once when burning a large load for a small cook, I noticed all of my scattered wood chunks had burned up or turned to charcoal but the rest of the load of was intact.

I have used others a generic Bolivian bag that spat like crazy, Charbroil lump and Qik something or other. All burned much more quickly. I also tried some of the WGC weekend warrior blend and found it better than the others, but preferred the competition blend.

I will be placing a re-stocking order now.

Anyone interested in purchasing may want to consider that two 11 lb. bags costs the same as one 22 lb. bag. I find it a lot easier to store and handle the smaller bags.

Last edited:
I gotta get my hands on some Wicked Good. I like Royal Oak and Kingsford, but I've yet to hear anything bad sad about the WG....

I tried the WC charcoal blend that they had reduced in price due to the supplier screw up I like it a lot burn long and not much in the way of ash.

I bought 3 bags of the Weekend Warrior last Fall from a BGE dealer($18 a bag), diehard Eggheads-said the shipping was a killer to the West coast and had a hard time talking his boss into going for it! It does have a neutral flavor,so I just throw some wood chips on the side. I use it mainly when I do pizza's on the Egg, anything else gets the Lazarri Mesquite.

Brian

Matt, i have a lot of Natures Own, i would be glad to bring you a 20lb bag if you want to try it.. then if you like it i can get 20 or 40 lb bags, let me know, i can drop it off at willie b's sometime. i like it better than wicked good

I took the plunge today and ordered some of the WG Weekend Warrior today. I hope it is half as good as the review.

Where do you find Ozark Oak in the KC area? Is B&B available in KC?

B&B Preimum is avalible at Smoke and Fire in Overland Park, KS. I think $28 for 40lb bags.

The Wicked Good Comp. blend is fantastic, although discountinued, I have about 10 10 lb. bags in my garage. It does burn forever & it is very neutral as far as flavor, which I like, because I view smoke as an ingredient and I like to be able to control my smoke flavor with the wood chunks I add.

It is expensive...I paid $11 for a 10 lb. bag, so I do not use it all the time, comps & special parties...

Where is the best place in the Chicagoland area for good lump/briquettes?
Thanks!

Wal Mart has Royal Oak Lump
HD currently has Original Charcoal Co. Hardwood Briquettes $2.99 20#'s
Both these place carry Wicked Good:

BACKYARD BARBECUE STORE
1147 Greenleaf Avenue
Wilmette, Illinois 60091
(847) 251-2272

www.backyardbbqstore.com

FIREPLACES PLUS, INC.*
Neal Kaplan/Owner
700 N. Milwaukee Avenue
Vernon Hills, Illinois 60061
(847) 549-6700

*Competition Blend Available

We will be using Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Lump at Lime Rock Park comp. this weekend. I really like it. We used to use Royal Oak lump and now burn about 50% less. I like the neutral flavor and like to add wood chunks.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Matt, i have a lot of Natures Own, i would be glad to bring you a 20lb bag if you want to try it.. then if you like it i can get 20 or 40 lb bags, let me know, i can drop it off at willie b's sometime. i like it better than wicked good

Thanks, Eric. Drop me a note when you're coming around...I'm definitely gonna need to load up on all kinds of fuel in the next few weeks....Things is getting busy...:icon_clown

I wish I had a really good and reliable local wood source...

Back