MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
reflynn
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default To Brine or, or not to Brine

Well I have argued in both worlds of briners and non briner's, I personally have done both with both turkey's and Butt's, but I have stopped brining all together, (in the exception of a dry seasoned, salt rub, that could possibly be considered brining????) personally I feel that brining is a false sense of meat moistness, I prefer to have the natural juices of the meats stand for itself, I feel that if you can cook a meat with out having it soak up all that extra salt water, and still come out juicey you have cooked a much better meat. So I am just trying to see what your oppinions are on the subject, and maybe get a more solid outlook from both sides.
reflynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I brine poultry (all kinds) and lean cuts of pork. I've done side-by-side tests and have also been part of side-by-side tests by others and the brined product is always better (moister, more flavor).

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

Brined has better flavor for sure, a wet brine seems to be better than dry brine too in my opinion

Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

I only brine meats that lack Phlavour.
I'm using the brine only to let that meat soak up Phlavour but not for making it more tender.
If you want it tender just pull your meat at the perPhect IT.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
jham0077
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : jham0077

I cooked a butt Sunday that got brined overnight. I really don't think it helped, as it was a Tyson that already had been "enhanced". I think next time I'm just gonna rub it with some kosher salt plus a light dusting of the NASA rub, which I found the recipe here.
But I do think it helps the chickens when I do them whole.
RecTeq 590 - Woodhouse
XL Big Green Egg(lite basket case, bringing it back)
jham0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
IamMadMan

I always brine poultry and the results for me have been nothing short of great!!! I also brine lean cuts of pork such as loins and center cut pork chops.

I used to brine my pork butts, but have found that injecting a brine into them gives me much better results. Moist, tender, and the bone usually wiggles with an internal temperature of about 187° and pulls in long, moist, tender strands.

Everyone has different tastes, but I wouldn't have it any other way when given a choice.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
landarc

I am of the opinion that we should all cook meat however we want, and screw the arguments. For me...

I love technique and to that end, regardless of what I am doing, I consider food to be good if it tastes good. There is no superiority in not using whatever tools are available to make good food. If you prefer to not brine, then do just that. I do both, and feel that each gives a different and equally valid end product. Certainly, brined meats have more moisture and can be more flavorful, however, I have had some great poultry that was not brined as well.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
caseydog

Brining a butt? Why? It has plenty of fat running through it. That is an application of a brine to a meat that doesn't need it.

I can definitely tell the difference in lean meats, like pork loin or chicken. As for having the skills to cook moist meat, brining is one of those skills.

Brining also allows you to infuse flavors. I add fresh herbs to my brine, and you can taste them in the finished food. I LOVE rotisserie chicken, brined overnight before cooking. I put fresh rosemary and fresh thyme in my brine, and I end up with a wonderfully moist bird with just the right hint of fresh herbs in the flavor.

Rick Bayless does a very similar cook. He uses different flavors in his brine, but he still infuses flavors, as well as moisture.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

If you have the time, do the brine.

Weird. Typing that gave me a wild 70's flashback...

food4thot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
Faston
Full Fledged Farker

I have had good results with brining poultry. But what drives me crazy is that the stores do it as a really nifty way to increase profit. Water & salt at the price of meat. I don't like using premixed spices in any of my cooking and I would rather do the brining myself so I know exactly what's in there. That way when something goes good or bad I have a much better idea of how to correct or improve the results.
Faston is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
smoke ninja

If its better brined then do it. Your not gonna get an award just just you made juicy chicken that wasn't brined.