MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Default I screwed up a butt!

Didn't think it was possible. Started the new NB off set this AM and put on a picnic at 07:15.

Temps were good all day and by hour 5.5 it seemed to get over the stall?

Then the rain started so I moved everything under cover, shouldn't be a problem right.

Well every part of the butt had a different temp. Thought I took it off about 195+ and foiled for an hour. It would not pull at all.

Flavor was just OK, not great, but way too good for the dogs.

Took some for dinner and foiled it and back into the oven for two hours. I would have thought that would bring it over. No Way.

Was getting late so I just pulled what I could and scrapped some. But the meat was cooked differently in different places. Can't really explain it, but some pulled, sort of, and other parts seemed very well done in color, and were tuff.

I cooked a similar butt for my first smoke on the bandera and it was perfect. This one?????

Only difference was where I bought the meat, and of course the pit.

Any thoughts??

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Possibly just a bad piece of meat ??

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Golly Gee Could that happen?? From Publix??

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Certainly can't be the cook... especially one with a RED Thermapen !!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bummer! I've had a few weird experiences over the years like that once in a while. I think sometimes you just get a weird piece of meat that won't cook right.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Bbq Bubba

Butt or picnic? Sounds like u undercooked a picnic.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Kermits Revenge
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have had that happen with meat bought from Sam's Club. I would buy a case or two and some of the butts would not be done and others (approx the same size) on a cooler spot on the cooker would just melt in your mouth. One note, I do check the temperature and it is usally around 195F, but I take it off the cooker when I can twist the bone away from the meat.
Randy

Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Butt or picnic? Sounds like u undercooked a picnic.
Picnic

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 04-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Barbecue View Post
Certainly can't be the cook... especially one with a RED Thermapen !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Bummer! I've had a few weird experiences over the years like that once in a while. I think sometimes you just get a weird piece of meat that won't cook right.
Well this must be one of those weird experiences because it's already been verified that it can't be the cook!

I've never seen a piece of meat do anything like this ever.

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
Bbq Bubba

Picnics need to go to 200± to pull nicely.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I don't like to use picnics for that very reason. Sounds like I haven't cooking them hot enough either.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I don't like to use picnics for that very reason. Sounds like I haven't cooking them hot enough either.
Thanks for the help. Picnics are all I've been able to find lately, and even if I pulled this a little early, you had to see it to believe it. Sorry, after a long day I just didn't take the time for some prons.

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
King
Full Fledged Farker

I did a 10 lb picnic last week, it rained halfway through the cook on me too. I moved mine to the oven after about 6 hours on the smoker, because thunderstorms were heavy. Kept oven at 235 for another 6 hours until it hit 190 internal temp. By this time it was 1am and I just put it in the cooler wrapped in foil until the next morning. It pulled apart real easy, the bone came right out.

22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker
22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
Brinkman ECB smoker (modified)
UDS (under construction)
King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Temp is just a guide the twisting the bone and it moves easly its done.......
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Nice to know. From what I understand, picnics tend to have a combination of meat "types" - i.e. some that is from the butt and some that will turn out a little "hammy". I did a picnic last weekend and noticed this very thing. It tasted good, but I like butt better myself.
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote