First Shot at Buckboard Bacon Pt. II

SpammyQ

Take a breath!
I posted about a 2 weeks ago that I had started some BBB with High Mountain cure. Thread here.

Today I woke up, pulled it out of the refer and rinsed it real good.
100_1488.jpg
Soaked it for about 1 hour in cold water. Dried it off well
100_1492.jpg
Put it on the WSM with some apple wood until it came to 140 in the center.
100_1494.jpg
Sliced.
100_1497.jpg
Turned out good, next time I think I will let her soak another hour in the water, it turned out a bit salty to me, but the flavor was money...Also wasn't sure which direction to slice it...but it worked out.
100_1499.jpg
I had the smoker full of other stuff as well, I'll post another thread with that.

SpammyQ, just something you might try. Soak twice as long and refresh the water every 30 minutes. Let it dry a bit and after you smoke it, let it sit on the counter to cool a little and stick in the frig overnight before slicing. That helps the flavors migrate and be more mellow. Kinda like smoked cheese. Thirdeye will have some posts and on his website that a excellent places to look. Good luck and start another batch!!!
Meat

Thanks meat, that is a good idea changing the water...I actually got some very good advice from Thirdeye from my original post...I did cure it for 10 days, I wonder if that was too long...I know it was leeriness of soaking the meat for too long that got the best of me. I'll know better next time. It was and is still real good.

You got some great color on that. Like Meat Burner mentioned, a long soak will reduce the saltiness. I go 6 hours myself, some folks go 8. Equally as important as the soak out, is resting in the fridge afterward. This lets all the liquid that was mobile during the soaking a chance to settle down. I rest about 6 hours.

SpammyQ, Thirdeye is really great for sharing information and techniques. I followed his instructions every time for BBB and it comes out great. Oh, and the pastrami is to die for. He can figure out about anything you throw out. Like I said before, start another one!!!

It's alway going to be a little salty, but I agree, soak longer. I usually go at least 2 hours under a barely running faucet into the container.

My mouth is watering! After reading the earlier thread i ordered some and some sausage mix. Plan is to try next month. Has anyone ever tried starting with boneless and does it make a difference? Thanks

I've been following this thread with interest because I have the curing spices in my garage waiting for better weather. When I do pulled pork I always get a bone-in butt, 'cause I think it adds some flavor. I thought I would get a boneless one for the BBB because it would make it easier to slice. So, I'm with Mike. "Does it make a difference?"

I've got 15 pounds of butt cureing now... I too try to let it soak for a good 2 to 3 hours and then let it rest on the counter after the cook too...

The other thing that I now do is just prior to smoking, I rub it down with a good quality maple syrup and then rub it down with cracked pepper... Damn, another week and a half to wait!

I've been following this thread with interest because I have the curing spices in my garage waiting for better weather. When I do pulled pork I always get a bone-in butt, 'cause I think it adds some flavor. I thought I would get a boneless one for the BBB because it would make it easier to slice. So, I'm with Mike. "Does it make a difference?"

I would go for boneless just for the ease of it... I boned mine (not woodpile, not woodpile) just because I had the butts to spare...

Back