MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Taking good notes was one of my biggest problems.
I like to have a good note pad for keeping track of meat weights like porkbutts.

I like having a watch and a clock to keep track of times of when meat goes on, gets turned and or flipped or even basted. Keep a written log of when to do what and then do it and document it.

I also have a caculator with me for quick caculations of cooking time.

I like to have a dial thermometer for air temps. That too I use to caculate cooking times, as well as fuel usage in the colder weather or damp rainy days.

Another thing I learned after my first all niter contest was I didnt bring a change of clothes and footwear. We had 3 massive back to back T-Storms come through and we all soaked to the bone.

You must be comfortable when Q-ing as well as at a contest. If your not happy your Q will suffer.

Mike

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #17
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

One of my first mistakes was using an off brand version of match lite as well as also using kingsford and of course lighter fluid
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #18
dbhost
On the road to being a farker

Well, my biggest mistakes were, when I moved away from my little Weber kettle to a New Braunfels Smoker was...

#1. Not giving enough time.
#2. Not being familiar enough with the equipment to do a good job of fire control. (Too hot).
#3. Being afraid of ruining a cut of meat by trying something new.
#4. NOT using a water pan in my old Silver Smoker. (Beer cans in the smoke chamber opening work quite well.
#5. Opening the door WAY too much...

On the care and feeding of a smoker perspective my mistakes were...
#1. Not cleaning the firebox of ashes after it cooled down.
#2. Storing the smoker directly in the path of the rain.
(Water and ashes make a considerably corrosive mix).
#3. Not repainting the pit every season. These things loose paint awfully fast, and need to be touched up. I now buy my Krylon BBQ paint by the box.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

For me it was being OCD about the process. There are so many variable that one has to be flexible with all aspects of smoking. I learned to look at the meat, as well as the thermomter for what I wanted out of the Q. I also learned that sauces are for the end of the cook and no where else in my opinion. Since doing this my ribs have become 1000% improved. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #20
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Don't get hung-up with cooking times and/or temps. It's done when it's done, not when the clock (or with some cuts of meat the thermometer) says it's done. Use time and temp as a guide to when to expect things to finish, not as a rule.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #21
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

I had a hard time understanding the fact that a fire will smother if you do not have anywhere for the ash to go. I was also very impatient during the early cooks and opened the lid too often.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #22
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

excellent thread.. Winemaster, thanks, great idea.. Roadmapping this one.

Oh..

Dont soak the wood chunks, chips, logs..

If you do, dont cook chicken over soaked wood chunks... a darker cut of meat would be better at hiding the soot.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #23
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Too Much smoke seems to be a mistake made by most. Thanks to all who posted so far. I think it helps alot. I want to keep getting better and with all you pro's, there is no need to make mistakes. Thats the way I teach people how to make the best wine possible. Dont make repeated errors and have fun.

Cheers Dan
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #24
iceboxbbq
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPete
First mistake I remember making was adding too much wood to my pit. I was thinking what most people do... more wood/more smoke better Que but ended up making some bitter food that tasted like chit.
I'll second that

Outlaw char-grill w/sfb ( for sale)
iceboxbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #25
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

too much smoke, not enough time allowed and almost ran outta booze once

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #26
SloppyQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Beer control which leads to smoke control, wood or charcoal control, and temp control.

Sloppys Backwoods Smokers Comp team
Sloppycreek Comp team
If it's drippin down yer chin it's Sloppy's

KCBS CBJ #9715
Two homemade offset smokers,Two WSMs,One Weber Kettle,One Traeger 075 TEX
One FEC 100
SloppyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #27
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

Some great stuff here...great post!
I remember back when I first started using an offset, One major problem I ran into was not paying close enough attention to the "fall" I had on my pit when I set it up. I had it filled with shoulders on day and all the grease drained into the firebox.....needless to say...."houston we have a problem" I was still pretty green then and it took me a while to figure out I needed to shut off the air to the fire.....I opened the main chamber door of the pit and nearly lost my eyebrows....not to mention alot of good pork...Lesson learned....the hard way...
Just a year or so ago I had a couple guys I had been training on the smoker (Texas Legend),I was out of town for a couple days and they had about 800 lbs. of Leg quarters on the pit.......yep you guessed it !! I recieved a frantic phone call at about 7:00am saying there was a fire and about 1/4 of the chicken had been burned up!!.......another lesson learned...Note to self...remember to harp more on the newbies about which way GREASE DRAINS!!!! BTW it drains the same direction as CHIT rolls...If you know what I mean

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2007, 02:51 AM   #28
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

Sticking too much to a recipe or a timeline rather than paying attention to what the meat is saying.

My nemesis is that I'm always putting too much spice in my rubs or sauces, I love things hot, but my guests don't tend to!

Old 02-28-2007, 03:14 AM   #29
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Um, 3rd Eye and Mista are preaching to the choir.

My strengths: not opening the door, unless I have to release some heat.
Cooler method at the right time. Damn I've been lucky with this.
Nite before planning, rubbing, injecting, and wood soaking.

My weaknesses: thinking I can do too much during a smoke, ie errands chores etc. Whatta dumb chit I can be here. Last weekend I blew a butt something terrible. Like 3rd Eye says, everyones gonna be so nice to you about your q they won't say anything but the positives.
Maybe they all know how fragile I can be......which is why I ain't cookin fer none a you bretherens anytime soon.....
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #30
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Fin Smoker
Nite before planning,...
To me that is a big key. Especially if it is still dark, and you have a time to eat plan.
I have everything laid out on the counter, the smoker ready and lined with foil, charcoal all set up, thermometers ready to go, etc.
All I have to do is get up, take the meat out, light the fuel, prep the meat, and put it on.
I start stressing out if I have to run around looking for this or that.

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fire Control, First Time, Mistake, Tip