MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #76
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I've never been much for looking through rose color glasses.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #77
bam
is One Chatty Farker

If I can have a shot and a beer while waiting seems like a good thing to me.I say go for it do your home work.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #78
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Mod Note:

Please keep this civil. if you can't, either refrain from posting or we'll scrub this thread and lock it.

If you need a reminder, please re-read this post...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=81360

Specifically...

Quote:
NO personal attacks. NO attacks of any kind. Recognizing that everyone has, and is entitled to an opinion, if your opinion comes across as antagonistic, bad karma, insulting or hurtful, keep it to yourself. Any meaningless post that is nothing more than a negative comment of any kind towards a member, or the membership, or is strictly there to antagonize, will be edited or deleted. In other words, you are NOT allowed to be a jerk just to piss people off. Moderators do not have time to be putting out flame wars.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #79
BBQ VT
Knows what a fatty is.

Besides the feuding this has been a great thread thanks to all!
BBQ VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #80
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow. Miss a couple of days reading and miss lots. OK so I do cook and vend BBQ for a living now. At least I hope I'll break even this year maybe. And that doesn't mean paying the bills at home. But I am turning the corner. It's hard work, there are huge ups and downs but it beats the corporate grind for me.

But if you want to open a restaurant and have never run a small business before and never cooked in a restaurant and never dealt with employees and issues with attendance, etc. then maybe you need to do a lot more research than here.

Step 1 - talk with an accountant you trust. Most everybody has a friend that is in the accounting business. Let them quote you the facts on what it costs, how you lose or break even the first year or 2, how so many go under.

Yes it can be a great life and yes you can make money but believe me you will be in the minority. Just think about all the restaurant buildings in your area that have changed hands or sat vacant for months. I know some that change hands every couple of years and a newby says I can make a go when others can't.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #81
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Great advice Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Wow. Miss a couple of days reading and miss lots. OK so I do cook and vend BBQ for a living now. At least I hope I'll break even this year maybe. And that doesn't mean paying the bills at home. But I am turning the corner. It's hard work, there are huge ups and downs but it beats the corporate grind for me.

But if you want to open a restaurant and have never run a small business before and never cooked in a restaurant and never dealt with employees and issues with attendance, etc. then maybe you need to do a lot more research than here.

Step 1 - talk with an accountant you trust. Most everybody has a friend that is in the accounting business. Let them quote you the facts on what it costs, how you lose or break even the first year or 2, how so many go under.

Yes it can be a great life and yes you can make money but believe me you will be in the minority. Just think about all the restaurant buildings in your area that have changed hands or sat vacant for months. I know some that change hands every couple of years and a newby says I can make a go when others can't.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #82
Utahslo-smoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
We've resisted the urge. We've run the numbers a bunch. Our catering business thrives, while I keep my real job with all the benefits. Biggest reason we don't? Im not willing to work 80 hours a week at it, risk several hundred thousand dollars, or try and make a $12000 a MONTH nut before direct food costs.

We just bought our 3rd pit / trailer and 2nd tow / catering vehicle. We paid cash for it, and choose to grow slowly and commensutrately with our efforts.
This is the way I have chosen to do things as well. Cash = less risk. I would suggest looking into catering. If you can do that for a year or so and still feel like you should open up a sit down shop have at. This takes a few less hours and you get way more days off, and allows for a LOT more mistakes.
Utahslo-smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #83
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

very interesting read.
something i was considering was roadside. strictly legal of course. there is ALOT of trucking business in a very condensed area where i live. i was thinking there would be a good steady customer base there, plus a strong word of mouth exposure opportunity. pork ribs only. maybe a brisket or pork sandwich special now and then.

i then did some quick math.
WSM 22.5 can safely cook well @ 8 racks of st. louis ribs per 4 hours.
say 8 bucks per rack(estimate from RD case prices, i forget exactly)
say 10 bucks in charcoal(again RD RO lump)per cook.
say 10 bucks in sauce and rub ingredients per 8 racks(this might be high, but still) my recipes use some HQ spices, etc.
say 5 bucks serving supplies.
thats $90 per cook for 8 racks. over $11 dollars a rack cost.
sell for $16 per rack. might be low, but this is would be a guy on the side of the road.
that's $32 net.
obviously the number could increase somewhat with a larger cooker but still, the numbers are clear.
you gotta sell ALOT of food.
i'd say 80 racks a day minimum to be successful.

but, i am still contemplating...clearly need hard, not soft, numbers.

i love to cook barbeque.
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #84
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

TIME-The one thing you can't buy with all the money you make in a successful BBQ outing.

I cater part time and had a very successful roadside gig. However, long hours, no vacation and dragging my hobby into a drudgery are the reasons I uit doing roadside for now. I know I can do it again, but time with my family was a price I pad the first time.

If you are lucky enough to be able to get help, or have an open schedule, I say go for it. You will never know unless you try, just don't lose sight of things that really matter.

Good Luck.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote