You favorite pork butt dry rub

Hands down the best rub for pork that I have tried so far is Plowboys Yardbird.

For a home made rub this is pretty good also,

3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon hickory smoked salt or 2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

Howdy, partner !

I have a can of that Plowboy's coming way any day. Looking forward to it.

A tad OT, but has anybody tried this on some baby backs?

Did some STL ribs for the inlaws last weekend. Three slabs with the usual sweet stuff and one with just butt glitter. They thought I messed them up because they were dry rubbed and they passed over them. Lucky me because they were pretty darn good.

Penzey's BBQ of the Americas rub has been great to me so far. (It helps that the Penzey's factory store is right up the street from the in-laws' place, too.)

Not to highjack the thread but i've heard soo many good things about Plowboys I'm gonna head over to the KC BBQ store this weekend and stock up. Hopefully they arent sold out :-D

Simply Marvelous for me, but don't ask me which is my favorite amongst 'em, because they all work really well on pork.

As far as the simplistic route goes I think everyone should be able to make great pork with just S&P, but we like the zing a good piece of bark brings to the table.

I used Plowboys exclusively on my pork until I got some 3Eyz!! It is now my go to rub

It cheap and does the job been using it for years but I also will rub brown sugar on it
th

Howdy, partner !

I have a can of that Plowboy's coming way any day. Looking forward to it.

Well well, fancy meeting you here. Lots to learn here so plan on staying a spell.

I'm not the only one from "that other forum" here. Ole NCH hangs out here some also. (he's incognito though) :thumb:

Bigmista's Perfect Pork Rub. :thumb:

I did two shoulders, one rubbed with Yardbird, and one rubbed with Bigmista's. Both cooked the same way, smoked with pecan. All of the meat with Bigmista's was gone and received the most compliments. I do love yardbird too.... I use it on just about everything including eggs, fried potatoes, popcorn, and of course chicken.

I usually do my butts with SM sweet and spicy and its excellent! I've been wanting to try a rub with a little less sugar because I cook my butts at high temps which can be too much for a sugary rub. I've got some yardbird and I'm gonna have to try that soon!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A few weeks ago I used some of that ‘Weber Kansas City Style” BBQ rub to cook a Butt for the family. I can’t remember where I got it from and it had been in the cabinet for awhile since I like making my own. I was surprised at the bark – it was not too shabby.
I would not call it my favorite but IMO it is worth a try.

Rub's for the bark, of course. Injection is what tempers the overall taste.

I'm a fan of Head Country Rub. IMHO it is a great all-around rub. One of these days I'm gonna have to check out Ployboys and some of the others.

Back