MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Default Brinkman Trailmaster Smoker. Limited Edition

So I missed a 1/4 inch Brinkmann deal a while ago. I let my buddy get that deal. Now I was thinking maybe I shouldn't pass on this. I just can't out how thick it is.

Or do I save for a thicker one. I wouldn't use the off set a ton so not sure if I should just buy this one.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/hsh/4533489291.html
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Just saw one at BJs on Friday. Did a quick lid lift and would say 1/8 inch steel and did not see the price. Will need tuning plates and stack lowered.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
Just saw one at BJs on Friday. Did a quick lid lift and would say 1/8 inch steel and did not see the price. Will need tuning plates and stack lowered.
Thanks. They are $300 at Home Depot.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd be on that like a hound on a hare. Raise the fire grate 2" add a baffle and tuning plates and get ta cookin. Don't lower the stack unless you like the flavor of creosote on your BBQ

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I'd be on that like a hound on a hare. Raise the fire grate 2" add a baffle and tuning plates and get ta cookin. Don't lower the stack unless you like the flavor of creosote on your BBQ
Lowering the stack to grate level will not cause that result. It will help even out temps by keeping the heat from riding the lid across and out the stack. The bride of franken smoker runs 5 degrees end to end with no creoste.

Bad fire management is a whole other topic. YMMV

Old 06-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
Lowering the stack to grate level will not cause that result. It will help even out temps by keeping the heat from riding the lid across and out the stack. The bride of franken smoker runs 5 degrees end to end with no creoste.

Bad fire management is a whole other topic. YMMV
Tuning plates even out the temp in my off set and I'm +/-3 deg anywhere in the pit. There is no need to lower the stack IF you know how to BUILD and TUNE an off set. Lowering the exhaust kills the draft... heat rise trapping it and making it sink before it can exit causing the smoke to get stale and can back up to the Fire box damping the fire by displacing the combustion air. Fire fighters run in to this same issue that is why the roof of a structure is vented prior to making entry to get rid of the unburned gases from a smoldering fire so not to create a back draft when fresh air is admitted . Poor combustion when there is insufficient Air causes creosote in the smoke. How much vinegar do you put in the pickles again Teleking I for get.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Like I said not an issue if you KNOW how to build a fire. Buildings are not meant to cook food even if they are on fire. You're right a well built cooker won't backdraft and it seems the design I used works just fine.

Stack at grate level is well documented in many builds. And you're gonna say one of the most expensive and popular Jambo pits has a design flaw? Tuffy seems to win enough.

YMDVMDK

Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

I have one, Granted it's my first offset and I have never cooked or seen a cook on a professional offset pit. You need to RTV all seams when building it, the firebox is constructed of a top and bottom half that bolt together, The cooking chamber is a solid welded cylinder.
I lowered the exhaust to grate level, used some cookie sheets as diffusers, and built a charcoal basket. I also used the felt gasket around the cooking chamber lid and added pressure clamps to hold the lid snuggly shut.

Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I like to haggle so offer him $100 and go from there. But for $150 in that condition I would buy it.
JENAIR GASSER
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

At that price I would not hesitate thats half price..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
jsperk
Babbling Farker

This one just came on craigslist now. Which is the better buy? The one used three times or the one with mods but the firebox a little rusty?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/4535372672.html

Thanks

Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Hagisan
Knows what a fatty is.

I'd haggle and go for the first one you listed.

Party Gator Pit Offset
18.5 & 14.5 WSMs
Weber Genesis LP1100 - Weber Performer 22.5
Traeger PTG - DIY Pine T&G Smokehouse
AMNS - AMNPS
[URL="www.cbbqa.org"]CBBQA[/URL] - [URL="www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=8&alph=B&id=75072"]KCBS[/URL]
[URL="https://twitter.com/BigBlindBBQ"]Big Blind BBQ Team[/URL]
Hagisan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
cheez
Full Fledged Farker

I like the modded one.

New Braunfels Bandera, 22.5" WSM, Weber Ranch Kettle, 5 or 6 other Weber Kettles, Party King tailgate grill, and a modded "pizza grill" that is falling apart.

Self-proclaimed President of the Canton, OH chapter, Weber Rescue Society.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

mods are cheap enough to do yourself, the tuning plates and diffuser are the only real money parts. Granted i use cookie sheets but others use 1/4" plate, some with holes drilled. Get the better condition one and keep it in good condition and mod to your liking.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
jsperk
Babbling Farker

This weekend I'm picking up the second one I listed. The other one was sold. I will be testing it out Sunday. I never used a stick burner so hopefully I will be able to manage temps.

I'm a little worried about firebox being rusted but I will paint that or I saw in another thread someone posted stove paste. Do I paint then use that or just use the stove paste on the rusted firebox?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/4535372672.html