temp differences in smoke chamber

M

mes0970

Guys,

I've got three slabs of baby backs in the bandera as we speak. I've got three accurites ( all checked in boiling water and put thru a potato to keep them off the grates ) in the smoke chamber at different levels:

Temp 1: probe is on the grate sitting on the water pan: temp 220

This next one is the weird one:

Temp 2: One slab, I would say on about the 5th set of rungs from the top. Temp

246 !!
[/b Temp 3: two slabs 3rd set of rungs from the top. Temp 215 .

Door temp: 200 ( I know is way of usually)

Someone expalin this deal.

Matt

Don't know what happened, but the temps all look good now. The only thing I can figure is the water in the pan got up to temp and that helped regulate the temperature inside the chamber.

Matt

Matt, I suspect you're getting a lower reading just above the waterpan because the pan is shielding the probe from direct heat. I've noticed that reading just above and just below a brisket for example can be very different, with the under being much warmer. Try moving your lowest probe just off to the side of the waterpan and I'll bet your readings will be much different.

temp 1: I would guess that the water in the pan is keeking the one at 220.

temp 2 and 3: How long have ribs been in? What was their temp going in?. If they are still cold, temp 3 will be lower because of two slabs on same rack. Plus the air will be cooler in the top due to the smoke tower cooling effect and the open vent at the top.

Back