$109 Pit Boss 5-Series Vertical Pellet Smoker

Dang! Wish i could get outside and use mine. Sitting here watching snow and wind out the window.
Not to mention idle hands......, yesterday I ordered a stuffer, slicer, grinder, cure, gram scale and some other misc. stuff. So I'll be ready when it warms a bit.

I built a carport 18x26 5-6 years ago and covered the south and west ends,we use it for a patio more than a carport lol. fog will roll thru and wet every thing in it at times so thinking of putting heavy tarps that can be rolled up when not needed,it can get really hot in there in the summer so full time sides are out

I built a carport 18x26 5-6 years ago and covered the south and west ends,we use it for a patio more than a carport lol. fog will roll thru and wet every thing in it at times so thinking of putting heavy tarps that can be rolled up when not needed,it can get really hot in there in the summer so full time sides are out
I put garage doors on both ends of my smoke garage. Helps it stay cooler if the wind is blowing. Everything starts secure and dry when not in use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Noticed small issue with the face of the controller.

seen it before on the FB page. basically the plastic cover is slightly bubbled. this may allow for condensation on the display and eventual failure. I'll take a second look when I do the first cook sometime this week but I may start a warranty claim if I dont like what I see.

other than that this thing is huuuuge

Noticed small issue with the face of the controller.

seen it before on the FB page. basically the plastic cover is slightly bubbled. this may allow for condensation on the display and eventual failure. I'll take a second look when I do the first cook sometime this week but I may start a warranty claim if I dont like what I see.

other than that this thing is huuuuge

I have a problem with this too. Not just a bubble, but the plastic cover has separated at the top of the display.

Two things about the controller cover. It took me a while to realize there was actually a piece of removable film on it, LOL. Not sure about eventual failure, but you might have seen my post at the beginning of the last page. It definitely lets condensation in, and as I found out it will frost over something fierce when the cold collides with a preheating unit. I sent them an email about it, and they are sending me a new controller (should be here Thursday). Not sure if it will make any difference, but we'll see. Also, the service department is Dansons. I was a little confused when I was getting emails from a Dansons email address, but it looks like they are the parent company or something.

https://dansons.com/#

Two things about the controller cover. It took me a while to realize there was actually a piece of removable film on it, LOL. Not sure about eventual failure, but you might have seen my post at the beginning of the last page. It definitely lets condensation in, and as I found out it will frost over something fierce when the cold collides with a preheating unit. I sent them an email about it, and they are sending me a new controller (should be here Thursday). Not sure if it will make any difference, but we'll see. Also, the service department is Dansons. I was a little confused when I was getting emails from a Dansons email address, but it looks like they are the parent company or something.

https://dansons.com/#

yup pit boss is owned by Danson, the company that manufactures Louisiana Grills (I've seen them at Costco)

I get that the pit boss is a cheaper model and expect shortcomings. they stand up to warranty claims so I do rest easy, just be sure to register.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the plastic face yet on mine but remember you mentioned and seen it on the FB page once.

I have had a beer or two and I'm thinking about going old school on a brisket with this booger tonight. I have a 14lb packer in the fridge that is a couple of days past the sell by date. Thinking I might throw it on at 225 and let it ride while I sleep. I only hesitate because it will dip to around 30 degrees outside tonight. What would you do?

I have had a beer or two and I'm thinking about going old school on a brisket with this booger tonight. I have a 14lb packer in the fridge that is a couple of days past the sell by date. Thinking I might throw it on at 225 and let it ride while I sleep. I only hesitate because it will dip to around 30 degrees outside tonight. What would you do?
I'd use my maverick to alarm me if the temp goes too low.

Well that ended badly. I got up about four hours ago and everything was chugging along nicely. Smoker was holding the temp well and the brisket was at about 160. I guess I forgot to actually turn the alarm on though. Woke up and saw the smoker was out and the IT of the brisket was at 110.

Smoker quit due to a lack of fuel. It wasn't actually out of pellets, but the angle of the hopper stopped feeding them once it got below a certain level. Luckily that was a sales price brisket or my feelings would be a bit more hurt.

Well that ended badly. I got up about four hours ago and everything was chugging along nicely. Smoker was holding the temp well and the brisket was at about 160. I guess I forgot to actually turn the alarm on though. Woke up and saw the smoker was out and the IT of the brisket was at 110.

Smoker quit due to a lack of fuel. It wasn't actually out of pellets, but the angle of the hopper stopped feeding them once it got below a certain level. Luckily that was a sales price brisket or my feelings would be a bit more hurt.

Unfortunately, the hopper feed angle has been mentioned a few times during these 19 pages. Sucks to keep the 60# hopper anywhere close to full given moisture and such. I am keeping it at around one full Home Depot bucket worth of pellets so that I can empty if needed but not risk a cook.

Anybody using anything special to stir the pellets?

I dumped the hopper a few days ago and had to use a broom handle to get down there. Looked at removing the screen, but it was easier to take the head off a broom.

Broom handle here too. Only thing i had handy. I think i went 5-6 hours without stirring on 12 pounds of pellets. Only stirred to dump the pellets.

How many pounds did you load and how long do you think it was before it tunneled?

How many pounds did you load and how long do you think it was before it tunneled?

The day before I dumped the Pit Boss comp blend and loaded up 20lbs of Lumberjack 100% Hickory. I did a rib cook and it didn't seem to use up too much of the fuel. I started it up again last night at 11pm. I woke up around 4am and it was still going strong, but I didn't check the hopper. Sometime between 4 and 8 it tunneled. I actually thought this was possible, but I underestimated the amount of fuel it would take to run at 30 degrees outside. Thing held temp pretty good considering the cold.

I finally just took off the "safety" plate after asking other folks on the copperhead fb page if they had done the same. So not it is easy to reach in there and I see not issues with it :clap2:

Back