Best cut of Venison?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'd like to cook something at home with Venison -- I've had venison sausage before and liked it fine.

I know of a butcher that has venison.

What cut should I start with? What is the best tasting cut?

Should I start with some ground venison and make a burger? Should I make sausage first? How about a venison steak?

(I have an LEM #5 grinder, so I grind the meat myself in need be.)

Thanks.

You have a meat slicer?

Back strap with sliver tendon removed grilled/smoked marinated in dales, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and 2 tablespoon white vinegar for 1 day , cook till a med rare talk about something delicious

Hind quarter. Cheese steaks, burger, dried venison, jerkey, roast, steak.

Yeah, backstrap cut into filets. Wrap bacon around each filet and season with cracked black pepper, sea salt and some garlic. Grill it hot and fast!

i realize that it's not smoking/bbqing but the finest thing you can do to venison backstrap and tenderloins is to make chicken-fried steak and cover it with gravy.

My wife makes incredible venison cfs and it is one of my family's favorite meals.

this!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I've made some really good chicken fried steak before but with beef.

My favorite backstrap recipe is to saute 2 diced onions, 2 cloves of garlic, minced, and 2 large shallots, minced, in some olive oil until translucent. Add 5 cups of a good Cabernet, 2 cups of beef or veal stock, 2 or 3 tablespoons of whole juniper berries, and 3 or 4 bay leaves. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 15 or 20 minutes, until it's reduced by 1/4. Let it cool, and marinate the whole backstrap/tenderloin covered overnight. Grill hot and fast to rare/med-rare. For a sauce, i make up an espagnole sauce and reduce it down, adding some of the marinade. Damn good!

Store bought?OOH haillll no!! Ask around im sure you can find someone that has extra in the freezer, most Real hunters would be glad to give you some, chances are they have cooked it so many ways they wont eat it anymore at least till fall.I dont like all the fancy junk on it, its like your trying to cover up poor handling of the deer. Salt Pepper, onion, or even lipton onion soup mix works great for roasts. A good portion of our deer here are nice and fat anywhere between 150-300lb,A nice 2-3 year olds are yummy, good luck

To give you something other than Backstrap (which is great) I'll throw in a Roast. My family loves Italian "beef" made with a venison roast. The venison creates a rich flavor that beef doesn't have. I use this recipe with 2 modifications,

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-C...h&event10=1&e7=Home Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

I use "Better than Bullion" beef broth and drop the salt from the recipe. When it's done cooking, I pour the liquid in a pan to reduce while I shred the venison. I'm guessing you could also do this on the smoker (I have not) like you would a chuckie.

In general, the problem with cooking venison on a smoker (assuming low & slow) is that it will dry out because it's so lean. If you have a burning desire to do it on the smoker I would consider HnF, add a bacon wrap, and pull the venison off at a lower IT.

Good luck and post the pics!!

I want to shoot a deer lol. Just to save money.

I dunno, I never terminated an animal before. Bugs yes.

I'd probably feel sad.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but unless you plan to process (read butcher, package, grind, cure, stuff, etc...) you are not saving a dime. Even then you need to already have the equipment (foodsaver, grinder, stuffer, casings, etc... I paid between $150-$200 for processing (fresh cuts & processed) plus another $150 or so for a simple antler mount (gotta keep a 10 point rack)

If you have the option to pick up a cut here or there your probably better off unless you love hunting and love venison, then get out there...it's a blast!!

You can cook venison the same way you would cook the similar cut of beef. Keep in mind that the venison is very much leaner and the cuts are also much smaller.

Because of this you should cook the venison hotter and faster to prevent the meat from getting dry and tough.

The state division of wildlife gives me 2 doe permits every year. I hunt to fill the extra freezer. The doe meat has more fat content and it does not have the strong gamey flavor associated with venison that most people encounter.

You can even make venison ham and venison bacon. Although they do not taste like their pork counterparts they get their names from, they are very very good. A good ham press or netting (available from many sausage making suppliers) will hold the smaller pieces of meat together during smoking helping to form 1 larger cut (like a daisey ham).

Back