MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #46
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Acid levels in vinegar differ between brands from 4-7%

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #47
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Acid levels in vinegar differ between brands from 4-7%
Yep, Heinz ACV has an acidity level of 5%. So, if you can find a vinegar in the UK with 5% acidity, you should be OK with the recipe as is unless you just don't like tangy BBQ sauces.

In VA, we like it tangy, tangy, tangy. In central Texas, not so much, apparently. In fact, I was surprised at how little tang there was in most of the BBQ sauces I tasted in central Texas.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #48
jeffreywp1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Shack sauce is a pretty high bar. Let us know how it goes.
Which of these two sauces is best in your opinion? Being from Virginia, I want to represent. Which one is more authentic VA BBQ?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #49
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreywp1 View Post
Which of these two sauces is best in your opinion? Being from Virginia, I want to represent. Which one is more authentic VA BBQ?
Both are good. Shack is spicy and tangy. Griffin is sweet and tangy. Both are authentic. Shack being an old school 19th century style, Griffin being a 20th century style sauce.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 06-06-2014 at 07:24 PM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #50
jeffreywp1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Both are good. Shack is spicy and tangy. Griffin is sweet and tangy. Both are authentic. Shack being an old school 19th century style, Griffin being a 29th century style sauce.
So Griffin Sauce is from the future?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #51
Boshizzle

Yes, it's from the future. It's cutting edge stuff.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #52
Boshizzle

It's time America was re-introduced to its first regional barbecue tradition: Virginia barbecue. It's the style of barbecue that George Washington ate. I hope that all of you who enjoy the Shack sauce and Griffin sauce will give credit where credit is due: Old time Virginia barbecue cooks that no one bothered to ever write about. Some of them were mentioned in history like Shack and Griffin, but so many others have been forgotten.

My work is meant to bring attention to the fine barbecue cooked by Virginia's barbecue cooks throughout the centuries. It's time for a Virginia barbecue revival! Here are some clips of some old newspaper ads I have dug up.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #53
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks - I have made sauces before without feeling the acidity.

When I saw this recipe I realised I had run out of Cider Vinegar & my local store only had the one brand. Though it is 5% acidity I guess its just not good for sauces.

Otherwise, the flavours are all good in the sauce - so deff going to make another batch when I get a different vinegar.
Eggtastico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #54
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
It's time America was re-introduced to its first regional barbecue tradition: Virginia barbecue. It's the style of barbecue that George Washington ate. I hope that all of you who enjoy the Shack sauce and Griffin sauce will give credit where credit is due: Old time Virginia barbecue cooks that no one bothered to ever write about. Some of them were mentioned in history like Shack and Griffin, but so many others have been forgotten.

My work is meant to bring attention to the fine barbecue cooked by Virginia's barbecue cooks throughout the centuries. It's time for a Virginia barbecue revival! Here are some clips of some old newspaper ads I have dug up.

I'd love to see the 1840 Ga add. The town that's mentioned is where I was raised in and I still live here in Madison Ga. Very cool.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #55
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
I'd love to see the 1840 Ga add. The town that's mentioned is where I was raised in and I still live here in Madison Ga. Very cool.
PM your email addy to me.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #56
jeffreywp1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Often referred to by writers of his era as a "free man of color," Griffin became a very famous barbecue cook and restaurateur in Richmond, Virginia in the early to mid 1800s.

Sometime before 1853 Griffin had opened his own restaurant and by 1860, he had revitalized an entire area of the city. In fact, an Island in the James River was called "Griffin Island" for several decades. By the 1880's, people in Richmond longed for Griffin's barbecued shotes (~50 pound hogs), barbecued squirrels, and Brunswick stew.

Here is a Virginia red barbecue sauce inspired by Griffin. It's made old school style much like the sauces I used to see served at roadside barbecue stands when I was a kid but updated slightly for our modern palates. It also contains only ingredients that are known to have been used by Virginians up to the 1800's.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup water
2 TBS yellow mustard
1.5 TBS Kosher salt
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS paprika (don't use a spicy hot variety; I prefer a bright red Spanish paprika)
1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp fine ground black pepper
½ tsp ground sage
½ tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp cumin
Dash ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Add ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmer stirring often. Let sauce simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, remove from heat, cool, and serve. Store in the refrigerator. It gets better after a couple of days too.
Do you have a old school recipe for VA rub?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #57
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #58
rdstoll
is one Smokin' Farker

I made this for a graduation party last weekend and it was a total hit. Not sure a lot of folks like vinegar in my area so their enthusiastic approval of this sauce was a surprise. I did some pulled pork and decided to try this instead of my usual Lexington sauce that I normally conjure up for pulled pork and it was a wise decision!!

May 2014 Shirley Fabrication 24x65" Cabinet model trailer pit with warmer

Kamado Joe "Big Joe"

Very ugly UDS
Weber Performer
rdstoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #59
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

the acidity in my attempt died down a lot after a few days in fridge.
Eggtastico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #60
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

White House brand is 5% also.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbecue sauce, BBQ Sauce, sauce, VA BBQ, Virginia, Virginia barbecue, Virginia BBQ