andouille

C

chillcoolcold

Going to smoke some andouille for gumbo Last time I was not sure do I smoke them till fully cooked or leave them just smoked and freeze? and let them cook in the gumbo

If I'm understanding, you are making it from scratch. Typically it is smoked and cooked to 150-152, and then eaten, frozen or used in gumbo, beans etc. I do sometimes cook it off to a lesser IT (145 or so) if it's going in something else that's being cooked. It freezes fine either way. Hope this helps.

If I'm understanding, you are making it from scratch. Typically it is smoked and cooked to 150-152, and then eaten, frozen or used in gumbo, beans etc. I do sometimes cook it off to a lesser IT (145 or so) if it's going in something else that's being cooked. It freezes fine either way. Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Yes I make it from scratch so I guess 150F -152F is basicly fully cooked

Yeah, to be called "fully cooked" it has to be 152*
If ya can, throw us some pron of the cook:-D We like that!

Think of pasta. If the pasta is going in a sauce after boiling it should be just tender (rare) but not soft otherwise the cooking in the sauce will produce mush. Cook the sausage until just firm to the touch. Remove and do not cover or they will continue to cook. Freeze as soon as cool. They will "blossom" in your gumbo without drying out.

I stopped in at a local sausage specialty shop and was chewing the fat with the owner...actually chewing on some snack sticks he gave me for a perch trade...but I digress.... I was telling him how when I smoke kielbasa and take to 160 that the casings are a bit tough. he say's they do there's till 130 and hold them for a half hour at that temp, then label them "not fully cooked". I may try that method as I always "cook" them again when using them in a dish.

Back