• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Going Legal

YankeeBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So who can fill me in on the costs of going legal and getting insurance and licensing and whatever else a caterer needs to run a proper and legal business. I've done some gigs for friends and family and have been approached to do some larger gigs but I won't do that unless I have all my ducks in a row.

You're going to have to check with your local HD certified kitchens on rental price. As for insurance, here in CA, we're paying to the tune of $500 - $600 a year for $1 million dollar liability insurance. Throw in another hundred or so for coverage of your rig. Check on-line for your City/County fees for ficticious bus. name and reseller's lic.

If you want to vend. You may have to get an additional coverage per event from your insurance co. Also, you may have to pay a vendor's permit.

Again, check out the websites and you'll be able to get a handle of what is going to be required of you. Before you start paying the bucks, I strongly suggest you visit the local HD and see what they are going to be looking for from you. They are probably the biggest hurdle you'll face.

Good luck!

You're going to have to check with your local HD certified kitchens on rental price. As for insurance, here in CA, we're paying to the tune of $500 - $600 a year for $1 million dollar liability insurance. Throw in another hundred or so for coverage of your rig. Check on-line for your City/County fees for ficticious bus. name and reseller's lic.

If you want to vend. You may have to get an additional coverage per event from your insurance co. Also, you may have to pay a vendor's permit.

Again, check out the websites and you'll be able to get a handle of what is going to be required of you. Before you start paying the bucks, I strongly suggest you visit the local HD and see what they are going to be looking for from you. They are probably the biggest hurdle you'll face.

Good luck!

Agreed! It all begins at the HD and the insurance carrier!

So who can fill me in on the costs of going legal and getting insurance and licensing and whatever else a caterer needs to run a proper and legal business. I've done some gigs for friends and family and have been approached to do some larger gigs but I won't do that unless I have all my ducks in a row.

Hey man PM me I just started my business last year and It already went ballistic this year I can help you with the learning curve.

Hey man PM me I just started my business last year and It already went ballistic this year I can help you with the learning curve.

Smokinit, the purpose of the catering section is to share what you know publically, so that others can learn. :biggrin:

Smokinit, the purpose of the catering section is to share what you know publically, so that others can learn. :biggrin:

Thanks BBS... i was gonna say that exactly.. Why are go PM... We can all use the help with the learning curve.

Thanks BBS... i was gonna say that exactly.. Why are go PM... We can all use the help with the learning curve.

I figured instead of writing a novel of what I have learned the last two years I figured if people had specific questions I could answer then more efficiantly.I have a spot I will be vending at 4-5 days a week and I will have some time then to put together in sections what I went through to get to this point and I will post them as I finish them.

I just got off the phone with Calaveras County. Opening a catering business would require permits and a commisary. However a "Cook for hire" requires no permits. The client supplies food and you cook it. They pay for the labor. The only restriction is no advertising, this includes web sites. Just an FYI....

I figured instead of writing a novel of what I have learned the last two years I figured if people had specific questions I could answer then more efficiantly.I have a spot I will be vending at 4-5 days a week and I will have some time then to put together in sections what I went through to get to this point and I will post them as I finish them.

DO you have pics of your setup that we could check out?

Block parties & backyard cooking permits?

I live in Suffolk County, Long Island. A few neighbors and friends have asked if I would cook for their parties. They would pay for my time and probably, I would purchase the food and get reimbursed. I've looked at all the town and county web sites, and there doesn't seem to be anything covering this type of cooking. Do I need any type of permit for this? Thanks for any guidance!

Back