Success!

M

Mr. Gray

Did my 57# pig on a spit, 30# brisket and 45# crawdad boil yesterday.
All came out great! Thanks for the tips! Injected the hog with mojo and wrapped in chicken wire, a few onions and garlic cloves in the cavity, cooked for nine hours, meat fell off the bone! Plenty of left over mudbugs for some etouffee! :p

Tell us more on how you cooked the pig. What did you cook it on? Did you wrap any of it? What kind of wood? What temp? Sorry, I'm wanting to try this and I need all the info I can get.

Fantastic! Gotta love that etouffe too. You using Paul Prudhomme's recipe?

Cooked the pig on a rottiserrie over a fire pit I made from an old bathtub. Made 4 small mounds of Kinsford briquettes towards the outer edge of the tub under the pigs rump and shoulders. Temps averaged around 200. Every so often I threw a small chunk of cherry wood on each pile. I basted the pig with the mojo and Apple juice every 10 minutes or so. cocacola for the last hour. I took the pig off when the internal temps reached 155 at the rump. It was pretty obvious when it was getting done. It started oozing juices and fat. I kept the fire low for the first 3 hours or so, letting the internal temp rise without cooking the skin too much. I didn't wrap piggy up in foil or anything but I did tuck the ears under the chicken wire. It came out the color of a coffee bean.

The étouffée recipe is my own. Trinity, roux, tomato paste, sherry, seasoning, tabasco and fish stock with shrimp or crawfish, over a bed of white rice...a little olive oil makes it velvety.

Hmm, the oozing juices part is throwing me off here. When I'm cooking a large hunk of pig, I listen for the juice (weeping sound), then wait for it to start calming down before I ever check for "doneness".

I'm just getting the impression from your description, that it wasn't close enough to "done".

155 at the rump? Does that seem right pig cookers? I'd think it would want to be treated like one large ass shoulder, and taken a lot higher temp wise.

We're not talking about a pork loin here.

BTW, was it the the color of a starbucks coffee bean? (over roasted to the extreme) or a home roasted coffee bean, that appears to be lightly browned, not black...... Yes, I'm a coffee roaster, and there are many possible different colors for a properly roasted coffee bean.... Well, not at starbucks, their color of the day/century is hockey puck black.

My goal is to cook up a whole hog - spit roasted over a fire, filipino-style. How was the skin of the pig? The skin is my favorite part!

Skin was a dark mahogany color, kinda' tiger striped from the spinning around. I personally didn't try it. Someone did nibble on one of the ears and said it was tasty. I did let the pig rest a bit before tearing it apart. Maybe carry-over heat got the temp up? If anything I think much longer and it would have been a bit over done. This was my first whole pig...a lot of work!

I've never done one, so you've got more experience in that dept. than me, but still, I'm thinking the more fatty parts of that pig didn't get done enough. The shoulder area may take lot more time to be "done".

Maybe some experts can chime in to school me on cooking whole pig, but I'd think it would want a bit more time to allow the magic to happen.

And here I am right next door to you in San Jose, and you didn't invite me???? Sniff, sniff, sniff.... whaaaaaaa!!

SteveT

Sorry Steve T. I would have gladly had such a close neighbor up the hill to chow down. Looks like a lot of folk from Cali here.

I dunno' about the "done-ness" of the pork guys. All I know is that there were no pink areas and I got no complaints or tummy aches. Maybe I need a new thermometer? I'm very cautious when it comes to food safety and I rely a lot on gut feeling. I'm still chalking my first whole hog up as a success.

Do you have any pics? Sounds like a great feast, I would love to see some photos.

Back