MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
forrest2906
On the road to being a farker

Default Cold smoking cheese - need your opinions

Tahnks to all who take the time to look and especially the ones who input advice or laugh at me.

I Have just received a smokedaddy big kahuna model. I am jonesing to use it and am thinking about making a hole in a rubbermade tough tote and placeing stackable cookie sheets inside covered with the cheese to cold smoke.

Does anyone see an issue with using this or an old igloo cooler for the cold smoke chamber? Should I just build a wooden box? i know the wife would kill me if I got out the drill and installed this on the side oh the new bradley she got for her birthday last month.

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated, and yes i will post pics later of whatever disaster i come up with.

Thanks, Chuckster
forrest2906 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

The rubbermaid or the cooler would be a great idea. I would check out craigslist for the cooler. That way you don't have to use one of your good ones. Dave(Rookie4 uses a 5 gal bucket with a few holes for rods to put the racks on for the cheese.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A cardboard box will suffice, no kidding.
Dave

Old 12-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't think you will get enough heat to worry about any flavors from the plastic, or warping the plastic on either the tote or a cooler. Maybe do a test run with your smoke generator and see how warm the smoke outlet gets.

I'd be more inclined to make a cardboard box prototype to get your size correct, then build a dedicated wooden box later on. This way you could have a custom fit for whatever storebought racks you want to use, as well as building some hangers for dowels in case you want to hang sausages or other things.

For an idea of where I'm headed with this, here is the rack for my Big Chief. It has brackets for a drip pan and plenty of racks. I added some hanging hooks. Inside a wooden box you could build a similar set-up, and notch the upper rack supports so they could hold your dowels. In addition to doing cheese, I flavor smoke a lot of things for 2 or 3 hours, then move to another cooker (or the oven) to finish them off.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Have a look at this Mate...

http://www.coldsmoking.co.uk/index.htm
LM600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
The rubbermaid or the cooler would be a great idea. I would check out craigslist for the cooler. That way you don't have to use one of your good ones. Dave(Rookie4 uses a 5 gal bucket with a few holes for rods to put the racks on for the cheese.
Here's the link to my UCB (Ugly Cheese Bucket):

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...I+Smoke+Cheese

You've got the Big Kahuna where I'm using the old smaller version on this one. Just make sure to keep the air turned down so it doesn't gett over-smoked. Don't even ask how I know that . . . .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote