MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
NewBBQer
On the road to being a farker

Default No Flavor...

Had two umpire four games yesterday and three games today so not a lot of time to Q. Found out I was on the early schedule and told the wife to pull out the whole chicken I had to thaw so that I can do a beer can chicken.

Got home about four and put the chicken on (wife got the coals ready to go) Filled the can with basil, onion, garlic and parsley and some beer. Rubbed it with yard bird (skin was good) but although the meat was well cooked at perfect temp and VERY moist I wasn't really getting those flavors I put in the beer can.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Have you done it before with different results? Cook it too fast not enough time to absorb flavors maybe?

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

IF the beer doesn't boil the flavors will not get into the meat.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

This is one of those subjective things but I don't believe flavors from beer can chicken get into the bird. For chicken you've gotta get some of your herb/rubs up under the skin and/or use an herbed brine to get flavor into the meat.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
gtr

I have yet to be convinced that it makes a big difference what's in the beer can as far as imparting flavors goes. Like Soybomb says, getting rub under the skin or brining - and I'll add marinating (I wouldn't do all of these together though) is what is gonna bring you the flavor.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Shooter McGrillin
Got Wood.

My injected my last batch of 3 birds and they were fantastic. Tons of flavor. I just used MOJO marinade. I also rubbed one each with Yardbird, SM Cherry, and SM Spicy Apple.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

There have been previous attempts proving that the "beercan" in the process does nothing more than being a vertical chicken holder... the can's liquid doesn't gets to a simmering state.

Next time try this:

Smoke in advance whole garlic bulbs next time you run ABT's or fatties.... cut off the tops and drizzle with EVOO and pepper... smoke until soft... and separate.

Lay the birds on its belly... and duplicate the same spices without the can and toss in the cavity one of those smoked garlic cloves.

A world of difference!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...31&postcount=1

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 05-01-2011 at 09:09 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
NewBBQer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
There have been previous attempts proving that the "beercan" in the process does nothing more than being a vertical chicken holder... the can's liquid doesn't gets to a simmering state.

Next time try this:

Smoke in advance whole garlic bulbs next time you run ABT's or fatties.... cut off the tops and drizzle with EVOO and pepper... smoke until soft... and separate.

Lay the birds on its belly... and duplicate the same spices without the can and toss in the cavity one of those smoked garlic cloves.

A world of difference!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...31&postcount=1
Sounds good!

Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
trekmstr
Full Fledged Farker

i put rosemary into the beer can and there is a definite flavor of rosemary in the chicken. i have also used orange soda (once) and the chicken also had a citicy flavor that we did not care for.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #10
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Here's a good read about a test to see if the beer can method really works.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm
I for one do not use the beer can method anymore. If anything I use the stand I have minus the beer can. All the flavor gets injected or rubbed under the skin. If you do not want to read the whole page, you can skip to the conclusion...
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

I'm with soybomb on this one -- I think the "beer, etc. can" helps moisture but seldom contributes much flavor. I still do chicken this way from time to time but have started using a more flavorful injection and some different flavor wood.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
GEORGIA BULLHAWGS

I use the can to keep it good and moist. I stuff a potatoe that is cut into a wedge down the neck of the chicken. I cook my chicken a little hotter than most, bacause I want the skin to get crispy. The liquid then steams, and it is forced to go into the meat.
GEORGIA BULLHAWGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I've been exposing the beer can chicken myth for a long time, the fact is that while cooking, meat does not absorb moisture. It releases moisture, for example, you can braise or boil meat that will be dry when finished. In nakedwiz I trust. The beer can does make a useful chicken holder however.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
NorthwestBBQ

I need pics...
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

I've tried the beer can chicken thing a few times and I found that a good brine works way better to get good flavor into the chicken. I also like to splatchcock the bird and cook at around 250º until done then put it on the gas grill at around 350º to crisp up the skin.

That technique has produced some very good chicken that is much better than what the beer can chicken does.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote