MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #286
ModelMaker
Babbling Farker
 
ModelMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-06
Location: Lake Ponderosa-Montezuma, IA
Default

"It will be interesting to see what her vision for KCBS looks like."

If'n I was a bettin man, I would bet that her vision will look very much like the Chief Executive Owners vision.
__________________
Designer of a custom drum smoker
Customized Aussie gas passer
Turkey fryer
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge


And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote




Old 08-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #287
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 08-27-10
Location: Independence, MO
Name/Nickname : Joel
Default

Well, I got what I wanted. Someone with history of promoting BBQ and comp BBQ, and with a bonus of having worked/for large companies and seeing how to navigate a large organization that can't be as nimble as a smaller one. These ships take a while to turn, and she'll have my support for a while before I begin judging her performance.
__________________
Meat Rushmore BBQ Team
midwest_kc is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #288
Burnt at Both Endz
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Join Date: 07-14-13
Location: freeman,mo
Name/Nickname : Calvin
Default

It does look like they have a very well qualified person, that has a good reputation. I wish her well in the new job!
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #289
Timmy Mac
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 04-29-11
Location: Youngstown,Ohio
Default

Seems like a great choice! Hope she didn’t quit her day job
__________________
Spittin' Feathers BBQ
Timmy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #290
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 08-27-10
Location: Independence, MO
Name/Nickname : Joel
Default

She did...but that was because they were moving it and she wanted to stay in KC.
__________________
Meat Rushmore BBQ Team
midwest_kc is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #291
ModelMaker
Babbling Farker
 
ModelMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-06
Location: Lake Ponderosa-Montezuma, IA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
"It will be interesting to see what her vision for KCBS looks like."

If'n I was a bettin man, I would bet that her vision will look very much like the Chief Executive Owners vision.
Look at me "quoting my own quote, a first for me!)

I wish to change my mind about the new kid. My first reaction was based on lack of faith due mostly to all the secrecy behind closed door carrying on crap causes me to think only in dark terms.
I will close my mouth (fingers) and open my eyes and ears and give this gal her chance.
Peace out man.
Ed
__________________
Designer of a custom drum smoker
Customized Aussie gas passer
Turkey fryer
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge


And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 08-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #292
egorham
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-21-14
Location: Lafayette
Default

Does anyone know how the Board sees the CEO role working within KCBS?

In for profit corporations the board votes on high level (major capital expenditures, hiring executives and organization altering decisions) but leaves the running of the organization to the CEO, for the most part a company's board goes along with the CEO's ideas until they don't work and then the CEO gets replaced. KCBS has always seemed like an organization ran by the board of directors. Are the directors willing to cede control to a new CEO? Will the members of KCBS accept a situation where the folks they vote for (the board) are not making the decisions? Will the CEO be able to put forward a slate of candidates for the board that she can work with in the future?

This seems like a good hire but unless the board gets out of the way and lets her run the organization the way she sees fit success seems very difficult.
egorham is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #293
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egorham View Post
Does anyone know how the Board sees the CEO role working within KCBS?

In for profit corporations the board votes on high level (major capital expenditures, hiring executives and organization altering decisions) but leaves the running of the organization to the CEO, for the most part a company's board goes along with the CEO's ideas until they don't work and then the CEO gets replaced. KCBS has always seemed like an organization ran by the board of directors. Are the directors willing to cede control to a new CEO? Will the members of KCBS accept a situation where the folks they vote for (the board) are not making the decisions? Will the CEO be able to put forward a slate of candidates for the board that she can work with in the future?

This seems like a good hire but unless the board gets out of the way and lets her run the organization the way she sees fit success seems very difficult.
I expect the CEO to have a pretty broad mandate with an emphasis placed on tasks originating from the board. Get the building sold, make sure policy set by the board is being followed, etc.

The CEO position will have the authority and responsibility bestowed by the board. What membership will tolerate is an interesting question. In general membership gets riled, bumps their collective gums for a week or two and then drifts away until they hear another rumor to become outraged about.
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #294
Michigan BBQ Fan
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 04-11-18
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Name/Nickname : Scott
Default

Congrats to the KCBS BOD on making a move to improve things moving forward. There is potential in the brand to have a better presence and focus. Emily has a corporate track-record that should translate well to a membership organization. Hopefully issues will be dealt with in order of importance and not everything at once. Onward and upward.
__________________
WSM 18.5" - Broil King Signet 320B - ThermoWorks Smoke - ThermoPop - ThermaPen (Operation BBQ Ed)

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #295
Untraceable
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 05-19-11
Location: EAD
Default

Im optimistic. Cant be worse than the last couple years. Something drastic needed to happen. Im just surprised that in KCBS fashion, she isn't still employed by Smithfield.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #296
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 07-05-11
Location: Pierre, SD
Default

Great pick for CEO. Hopefully we get rid of Bowman doing the marketing now.
__________________
Last Call Heroes BBQ - Outlaw Smokers - Gateway Drums
tduffy is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #297
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Default

August agenda posted.

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17497
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #298
Michigan BBQ Fan
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 04-11-18
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Name/Nickname : Scott
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Found this interesting...

"An organizer has asked about having t-shirts printed with Kansas City BBQ Society name on shirt with the contest. The committee all agreed that KCBS should not be listed on the shirt as this could imply that the contest had a role or position in KCBS."

So, a contest follows KCBS standards, brings in reps etc...but..it can't use KCBS in it's branding????
__________________
WSM 18.5" - Broil King Signet 320B - ThermoWorks Smoke - ThermoPop - ThermaPen (Operation BBQ Ed)

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #299
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker
 
Right on Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-21-14
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan BBQ Fan View Post
Found this interesting...

"An organizer has asked about having t-shirts printed with Kansas City BBQ Society name on shirt with the contest. The committee all agreed that KCBS should not be listed on the shirt as this could imply that the contest had a role or position in KCBS."

So, a contest follows KCBS standards, brings in reps etc...but..it can't use KCBS in it's branding????
We deal with this all the time at work. The way the legal system is now companies are scared of putting their name on anything for fear of some sort of lawsuit. (My company, based in Memphis, pulled out of MIM for this reason)

Very frustrating from a business and BBQ perspective. Thought this was about the "fun of BBQ" not fear of lawsuits.
__________________
Meatcraft BBQ - 18 WSM, 22 WSM, 2 X Auber controllers
Right on Q is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #300
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 07-05-11
Location: Pierre, SD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post
We deal with this all the time at work. The way the legal system is now companies are scared of putting their name on anything for fear of some sort of lawsuit. (My company, based in Memphis, pulled out of MIM for this reason)

Very frustrating from a business and BBQ perspective. Thought this was about the "fun of BBQ" not fear of lawsuits.
If this is the case, where does it stop? I got trophies last weekend with the KCBS logo on them. Is that not going to be allowed also?
__________________
Last Call Heroes BBQ - Outlaw Smokers - Gateway Drums
tduffy is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts