MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
drunkenmeatfist
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : chipper

This thread has inspired me in a different direction. I am going to contact my local PD to see if they have an opening for an undercover illegal food buyer. Sounds like a fun job.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #17
Michigan BBQ Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
I know a chick who makes wedding, birthday cakes and cupcakes out of her apartment. She's really good at it and the cakes are really good. But no licenses, health inspection, etc.

So you don't HAVE to. It just depends on what you're willing to risk if you get caught.
Often, cake business fall under the "Cottage Food Law". They do where I live in Michigan.

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #18
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Don't sell food, sell napkins or toothpicks for $8 apiece. With every napkin or toothpick you throw in a free pulled pork or brisket sandwich.
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #19
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

I definitely understand the need for some guidelines and standards to keep people from getting sick, but I wish there was some middle ground somewhere between "not cooking to sell at all" and "requiring full blown health dept certified kitchen". I'd love to try doing a fair or festival once in a while but to comply with regulations you almost have to do it full time to justify the cost/hassle.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #20
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

We considered a food truck but after looking into the legal requirements in our state, it was not worth it for us
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #21
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92 View Post
Don't sell food, sell napkins or toothpicks for $8 apiece. With every napkin or toothpick you throw in a free pulled pork or brisket sandwich.
It would be more realistic if you sold $8 soft drinks that come with a free sandwich of choice.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #22
kurtsara
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92 View Post
What do you do when someone gets sick from something you made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I definitely understand the need for some guidelines and standards to keep people from getting sick, but I wish there was some middle ground somewhere between "not cooking to sell at all" and "requiring full blown health dept certified kitchen". I'd love to try doing a fair or festival once in a while but to comply with regulations you almost have to do it full time to justify the cost/hassle.
The popup venders would undercut the Restaurants because they wouldn't need anything commercial or any rules the way you would like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg View Post
We considered a food truck but after looking into the legal requirements in our state, it was not worth it for us
Where is here?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post

The popup venders would undercut the Restaurants because they wouldn't need anything commercial or any rules the way you would like it.
It's not the governments job to protect one type of business from another via legislation and bureaucratic red tape.

Comparing a brick and mortar restaurant to a fair or "popup vendor" as you say is kind of apples and oranges. I imagine much of what is required of restaurants by the health department/.gov is overkill and unnecessary as well.

I never said there shouldnt be any rules, I actually said exactly the opposite.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #24
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
It's not the governments job to protect one type of business from another via legislation and bureaucratic red tape.

Comparing a brick and mortar restaurant to a fair or "popup vendor" as you say is kind of apples and oranges. I imagine much of what is required of restaurants by the health department/.gov is overkill and unnecessary as well.

I believe the object of the regulations, are not to protect one business from another, but to protect everyone from having too much money. I mean to protect peoples health.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #25
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

exactly

reminds me of how taxi companies and hotels are fighting uber and air b&b in the name of regulation for safety but really they fear losing market share

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #26
kurtsara
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
exactly

reminds me of how taxi companies and hotels are fighting uber and air b&b in the name of regulation for safety but really they fear losing market share
So with that logic I should be able to setup a UDS or old oil tank made into a smoker and sell pulled pork on the road in front of any BBQ restaurant or a frying pan cooking burgers in front of a Burger King and sell all the food cheaper because I shouldn't need a state license or any commercial equipment or the required sinks or even any food safety training?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #27
Nuco59
is Blowin Smoke!

It sort of sux: you have a smoker, everybody seems to love your stuff- you have some marketable product BUT to do it legally is a complete PITA. Dreams dashed to the pavement and stomped on. Oh well- back to your regular job. Ain't bureaucracy grand?

(in complete fairness, I do believe some rules need to be in place. I refuse to eat some food brought to company pot lucks out of fear for my well-being. "chicken a la Greg?"- oh hell to the no. I know Greg- and about his 2 day old tuna sandwich kept in his desk drawer until he could get to it- no way)

Old 12-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #28
AKMIMNAK
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufftj View Post
No worries bro.
You can easily sell your LSG to me to make
Bail.....
I'll keep that in mind ;)
Want a chance at a free Lone Star Grillz 20x42 with Offroad Package? Subscribe to my YouTube channel and share the video below everywhere you can on social media! If we hit 100K subs by June 15, 2020 I'll be giving one away right on my channel. Thanks for your help and good luck!

LSG 20x42 Giveaway Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uddf7HM5WDM
AKMIMNAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #29
AKMIMNAK
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Thanks everyone! Plenty to consider here.
Want a chance at a free Lone Star Grillz 20x42 with Offroad Package? Subscribe to my YouTube channel and share the video below everywhere you can on social media! If we hit 100K subs by June 15, 2020 I'll be giving one away right on my channel. Thanks for your help and good luck!

LSG 20x42 Giveaway Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uddf7HM5WDM
AKMIMNAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #30
SmoothBoarBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
This was the hardest part for me in terms of getting up and running. I would have loved to have had a test run, get my food out there to maybe 100 people or so, and see the reaction. But there's no real testing ground outside of friends / family, and of course they are all biased. So you've got to throw everything you have at it and just hope you were correct with all your guesswork and recipes.

Tags
bbq business, BBQ truck