MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Anthodavis
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Anthony
Default Ash vacuum

Anyone use an ash vacuum??
If so what brand and is it worth the trouble?

Old 07-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

What are you trying to vacuum ashes out of? I use a Shop Vac with a dust bag and it works just fine, but it's very important all the ashes are out with no hidden embers inside (which can be there a lot longer than youd think) otherwise the suction from the vacuum supercharges them back to life and you wind up melting your vacuum. Ask me how I know.

I only use the vacuum for detailed cleanup work the following day. I have a metal ash bin that I use to scoop out as much of the hot coal bed as I can once I'm finished cooking. That really cuts down on the amount of ash I have to vacuum and helps the cooker to cool down much quicker.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

I use this

https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Supe.../dp/B077469PH9

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

I have a L BGE and if it has an achilles heel its the ash bin. If that ash bin starts collecting all the flotsam and jetsam of several cooks, it tends not to draw very well and won't hit the temps like I like it.

Hence, the shop vac for the ash bin. I have a small cheap shop vac and that is what I use it for. It cleans out the ash bin in just a few moments and its easy as pie. Voila. The egg draws a deep breath with no sweat and everything is right with the world again.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
The Wookiee
Full Fledged Farker

If you are vacuuming COLD ash then any old shop vac will do; if you plan to vac anything with lurking embers etc then safety wise worth jumping to loveless ash vac (lynx) or dustless pit hawg- much more $$$$ but totally safe to suck up some coals without ruining the system (I do it all the time cleaning up offset when coals still have a little life to them). Dustless and loveless are actually same maker just rebranded.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H4...7QC3KM730EZRWR

https://www.amazon.com/Love-less-Ash...BSL&ref=plSrch

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I was just going to ask this same question. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Anthodavis
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Anthony

I have a small shop vac I tried but obviously I didn’t have a very good filter. Blew ash dust everywhere. Maybe I will look for some micro filter for the one I have.
Got an Ironside cabinet smoker and cleaning the ash tray out after a long overnight charcoal cook is a major pain

Old 07-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
Nuco59
is Blowin Smoke!

Silly question -If you have an "ash tray"- why not just pull it and dump it? If your ashes just fall from the basket to the floor of the firebox, that just sounds like a bad design decision.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I have the PowerSmith. Works very well. I have ash pans in my cookers so there's not a lot of ash to vacuum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
Silly question -If you have an "ash tray"- why not just pull it and dump it? If your ashes just fall from the basket to the floor of the firebox, that just sounds like a bad design decision.

Ash pans can't catch every ember that goes astray.
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle

Old 07-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Ridgid makes a shop vac especially for ash, they came out with it a couple of years ago so knowing ridgid it's probably discontinued.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...FQMcPwodacQHkQ

Old 07-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
Nuco59
is Blowin Smoke!

"Ash pans can't catch every ember that goes astray."

/shrug. Then that only leaves minimal clean up. Sounds like time for a whisk broom and dust pan- if that. Whipping out a special bought vac to clean that little last bit seems sort of excessive- but play on. We all about excess these days.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #13
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
"Ash pans can't catch every ember that goes astray."

/shrug. Then that only leaves minimal clean up. Sounds like time for a whisk broom and dust pan- if that. Whipping out a special bought vac to clean that little last bit seems sort of excessive- but play on. We all about excess these days.

Ha.. have you ever seen those Swiffer commercials? Broom and dust pan still leaves ash. My firebox door has a lip that prevents me from getting everything out. I am currently sweeping and then using a wet rag to mop everything up. Quick but dirty and I waste a lot of shop towelettes.
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle

Old 07-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
Rib Rub
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Rigid shop vac!

Old 07-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #15
Ducksmoke
On the road to being a farker

I have the PowerSmith. I use it with my wood burner in the house and with the cookers (pellet, and charcoal). It does the job. I buy a new filter every year.
Ducksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote