MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #16
lunchman
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dom

Quite interesting. Tuned in. Definitely looks great so far.

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #17
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

My Korean coworker told me about these. I didn't rinse the blood out, and I didn't wait 2 days. Cooked them on the Blackstone. They were AWESOME! The biggest pain is slicing them thin enough. I think I *might* bring some to the Pig Pull, you know, for early birds and stuff like that.

I do want to see how yours turn out!

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #18
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
My Korean coworker told me about these. I didn't rinse the blood out, and I didn't wait 2 days. Cooked them on the Blackstone. They were AWESOME! The biggest pain is slicing them thin enough. I think I *might* bring some to the Pig Pull, you know, for early birds and stuff like that.

I do want to see how yours turn out!
You don't have to rinse the blood out or wait days to cook. It's completely optional. It's a Korean thing with the blood and they do that to pretty much all the meats, especially the beef and pork. They claim soaking gets rid of the dirty and foul blood taste and any bad odors from the animal. I don't know how much difference it makes but my wife swears she can taste the off blood and always insists on soaking when cooking Korean food. Funny thing is she never says anything when I'm grilling steaks or smoking BBQ. Only for meats used to make Korean cuisine.
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #19
jermoQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Your authentic Korean BBQ lesson is very interesting. I have never been to a Korean BBQ restaurant, but I will have to tune in to this to see how things turn out.

If I was a cow
being lead to the slaughterhouse
I would try to kiss you one last time
before my lips were mulched into wieners.
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #20
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

It's dishes like this that make me a youtube junkie always looking at other cultures food.

I'm here for the show!!!
Radrob is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #21
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #22
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

So the short ribs been in the fridge since Wednesday. It was time to get it out and grill!

I fired up the Weber charcoal grill and grilled direct. I cut the bone from the rest of the meat to make it easier to grill since the bone portion takes longer to cook. I placed the bones around the perimeter of the grate away from the direct heat.

All grilled.

Time to take it inside the house and eat! Served Wang Galbi with lettuce and Korean perilla leaves, buchu salad (Korean garlic chive salad), kongnamool (soybean sprout banchan), ssamjang sauce (Korean spicy dipping sauce for wraps), and white rice.

Of course I have to make a wrap. This wouldn't be Korean BBQ without it.

Absolutely delicious! The marinade was perfect and the meat had some nice chew yet was tender from being cut thin and scored. Scoring the meat took extra prep time but it made big difference in final cooked tenderness and texture. I have to say this Wang Galbi my wife and I made at home was better than any Korean BBQ restaurant version I've had in Atlanta. No comparison.

One nice bonus of making bone-in short rib galbi vs boneless is this pile of meat candy.

I love eating and gnawing on the little meat on the bone at the end of the meal after I've had my fill of the meat portion of the galbi.

I had plenty to share with my dog.

Thanks for looking and following along!
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2019, 11:11 PM   #23
tom b
Babbling Farker

Awesome!

Old 08-25-2019, 03:31 AM   #24
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

That's one beautidul meal.

UDS now resurrected, Square Chicken Cooker, Green 22" Kettle, Stok Tower Grill & Barrel Grill, Stealth WSM 18", Char Broil Kamander
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #25
LYU370
Babbling Farker

I'd wrestle your dog for them bones! Looks Great!

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us and enter to win great prizes! It's a BLAST!
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #26
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

That looks fantastic, Awesome cook!!
Radrob is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #27
ShadowDriver
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You have so many of my favorite things in one place...

I, too, would wrestle the pup for scraps.

Looks incredible.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #28
SMetroHawkeye
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Hawkeye

Killer-b KBBQ! Thanks for the details... I’ve got to add this to the list of test drives!

Old 08-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #29
charcoalwilly
On the road to being a farker

One of the most educational posts I’ve come across here! Many thanks. Can you share your galbi marinade recipe?

Old 08-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #30
Eckie
Knows what a fatty is.

The perilla...do you buy the leaves or grow it? Wondering what the plant looks like? We have whats called perilla mint on the farm, not sure if it's the same thing. Not good for cows if they eat it, causes respiratory distress and possibly death if they consume enough. We got dry hear the other week, and a farmer in neighboring county lost at least 7 cows from eating perilla. Ive tried looking it up to see if its the same thing before but couldnt really tell.
Eckie is online now   Reply With Quote