MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
JHumpertIN
Got Wood.

Default Brisket cooked on the Pit Barrel Cooker (W/Pron)

Here is my second cook with my Pit Barrel Cooker (Barry) which I have had since the first week of October. For this cook I decided I wanted to try a brisket since I had not done any for a long while so I bought a 12 Lb. packer. Since I have already done ribs on Barry and they came out pretty good I decided to give brisket a try based on Noah's videos. I trimmed most of the top side fat off including silver skin, and also trimmed all the deckle fat between the point and flat which pretty much ripped the point to shreds. I then injected it with Butchers Prime injection using the following ratio:

3/8 cup of Butchers BBQ Prime injection for beef
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of Swanson low sodium beef broth

I injected all over the brisket point and flat trying to use a checkboard pattern, injected in the sides of the flat and in the sides of the point before putting it to bed in the fridge. I pulled it out and rub it with Butchers Premium rub before hooking it and cooking it on the barrel. I plan to cook hanging for 2.5 - 3 hours to get some color and apple smoke before wrapping it and cooking on the wire grate to finish cooking to 195. Here is the first pic for this series which is the trimmed and injected brisket ready to hit the fridge. Hopefully the Butchers stuff will work great for me and if so I have high hopes for the pork butts that I also have butchers injection and rub for them.

I started the grill around 11:15 that morning and cooked the brisket hanging for 1 hour and 45 minutes then checked the temperature. Thermapen showed around 154 in the point and mid 140's in the flat so I went ahead and pulled it and wrapped it. After wrapping I cooked it an additional 1 hour and 45 minutes and checked the temps again. This time the thermapen was showing 205-210 all the way across the flat and point.

I let it rest about an hour or so still foiled before slicing it up. When I tasted a little bit of the meat before I wrapped it I thought that I had gone overboard with the Butchers Premium Rub but after it was done and sliced up the meat was perfectly seasoned and I even got a rousing stamp of approval from the wife and she normally only complains about what I smoked on the grill.

Rubbed and hooked ready to smoke

Forgot to take pictures before I wrapped it so here is after it was done and rested and ready to slice

Here is the pile of sliced brisket

I even got a smoke ring

Here is the point all sliced up

Last edited by JHumpertIN; 11-10-2013 at 06:19 PM..
JHumpertIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The point looks terrific, how was it overall, looks like it sliced up nicely

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Looks great well done.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
jbuntingsr
Full Fledged Farker

Nice cookin
jbuntingsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Fwismoker

Looks great, love the UDS brisket cooks.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Nice looking brisket.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
JHumpertIN
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
The point looks terrific, how was it overall, looks like it sliced up nicely
Overall it had great taste and was super tender and juicy. I was hoping to pull it out about 195 but fell asleep and by the time I woke up it was already hitting 210. You could not even tell that the temperature got higher than I had wanted when you ate it. The slicing was a little fall apart due to the higher temperature but the way my wife was woofing it down I don't think it mattered anyway. I even took several slices to the neighbors and they absolutely loved it also. I have 1 small vacuum sealed bag left in the freezer and I may have to get that out this week for lunch and will probably have to fight the wife to keep her out of it.

Usually the wife wont eat very much of what I smoke and says it is burnt but even she said if I can keep putting out results like this every time then she is more than willing to eat every bit of it again. I have 2 pork butts in the freezer right now waiting for it to get a little colder so I can try out how the barrel does in the colder weather here in Indiana because the last cold weather cook I did on the offset the temperature was 35 degrees with 40 MPH wind and I fought all day to keep temperatures on the offset so I am hoping this barrel does pretty good and because of the fact they are out of Denver I have high hopes that I will still be able to cook all winter.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
JHumpertIN
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Looks great, love the UDS brisket cooks.
This isn't an UDS this is a Pit barrel Cooker. But still the brisket came out great and I have high hopes for my 2 pork butts which are the next thing on the cooking list.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Looks good to me
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHumpertIN View Post
This isn't an UDS this is a Pit barrel Cooker. But still the brisket came out great and I have high hopes for my 2 pork butts which are the next thing on the cooking list.
A pit barrel is a drum..UDS just a commercial version. Great flavor on these types of cookers

Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Manana
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks good!

Old 11-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
JHumpertIN
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
A pit barrel is a drum..UDS just a commercial version. Great flavor on these types of cookers
Not a problem, love how the barrel cookers cook whether it be a PBC or UDS. I think they have something going with this hanging meat upside down though. What amazes me was with the brisket the end of the flat was resting right on the charcoal basket with burning charcoal and there was no burnt area on the end of the flat.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
Fwismoker

Yep i know what you mean...i got a hook set up and have done ribs like that, it is something else.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
JHumpertIN
Got Wood.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have 2 butts to cook and the brisket takes up the whole rack I would cook me another brisket at the same time I do the butts but my rack will be full with the butts. Oh well the barrel isn't going anywhere so there is always another weekend.

Next up is a showdown between an injection and rub recipe that I got from a friend and Butchers BBQ Pork injection and Honey Rub to see which butt tastes best. Based on the brisket results I think the Butchers injection and rub are going to be hard to beat. We already tried some of the honey rub on country style ribs and that rub is going to be awesome.