Price point for bbq toys

Same situation happened to me. I would never pay full price for a Yoder. It’s just not in my price range. I saw a guy selling one on Craigslist for 750 and that was a different story haha

I really don't have a price point. If something interests me and I want to try it out, I find a way to get it. I do have things that I bought and tried out a few times and don't use anymore.

I used to buy bbq stuff just because people here posted how cool it was. I don't need a shirley but dang that thing is beautiful and it draws a crowd... makes the owner feel good. Great buy.

Roti for my Jimmy... nice for a few months. Just sits in the garage now. Kettle pizza thing. Loved it but eats a lot of lump for 1 or 2 pizzas. Just sits in the garage. BS griddle... never liked it from the first use. It must be user error because I'm the only one. Just sits in the garage.

Now I'm really careful. Don't buy a darn thing regardless how cool sako makes it look. :pound: i just ignore his hunsaker cooks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

:laugh: Forget BBQ Paul. We need to put you in one of the new RAMs. I heard they're really nice :heh:

On a serious note I just buy whatever suits my needs. Or when I get bored of something. :laugh: I do use them all or put it in rotation though.

I'm fortunate enough that I could afford most of the things that I've considered. Two things constrain me. (well, three if you count ongoing college payments). One is space. Most of the cooking is done on our deck and that's pretty much full, plus there are certain cooker types that I wouldn't try on a deck -- both for weight and safety issues. We do have a nice pool area but there isn't really an ideal space out there plus I've realized that part of why the deck works is proximity to the kitchen. The other reason is we just have too much "stuff" and I really try to limit how much I'm adding to that problem if I don't really see myself using it much. In terms of past choices with limited use, neither the Blackstone pizza oven nor griddle gets a lot -- though the latter I don't regret as we do use it periodically for large breakfasts.

Having said that, finding a good deal has tended to a trigger I can't resist. My Genesis was purchased from a store that went out of business, similar but different story on the Kamado Joe and table. The kettle (3 of them actually) came from Walmart closing them out last year at $35....

I have no problem paying for things like the slow and sear or a thermapen. They work well and aren't so much better than other options that would perform similarly that I don't mind paying the premium

I like a deal as much as the next person, but if I want something (within reason of course...) I’ll pay whatever the cost is. I’d rather pay for it and enjoy and use it, then wait until they go on sale for 10-20% off etc...especially when I could be enjoying it in the meantime. One thing I’m not good at is waiting....when I want something, I want it now! I guess that’s why I’m amazed and really kind of respect the Shirley buyers....knowing the wait time and still getting on the list and anxiously waiting for their dream cooker to be built....I’d be way too impatient for that:)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I dont really have a price point I typically base my purchases on "need". I've bought a few things on impulse(Big Chief...gathering dust) but I typically stick with what works until it doesn't work. I would love to order a Humphreys Pint or Down East Beast right now but I'd rather keep that kind of money for a rainy day. The cookers in my signature are getting it done just fine.

[emoji23] Forget BBQ Paul. We need to put you in one of the new RAMs. I heard they're really nice :heh:

On a serious note I just buy whatever suits my needs. Or when I get bored of something. [emoji23] I do use them all or put it in rotation though.

I don't even look at trucks... way too tempting.

I get bored a lot. That's why I have so many tech related gadgets, accessories and cookers. Unlike you i don't use them all. Boredom gets expensive. I have decided to stop buying cookers. Abandoning my dream of buying a cooker every 6 or so months and owning 1 of every type because that was just ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Me: hey family, I can’t go to your tennis matches, birthday parties or plays

Family: Why?

Me: I am got to go to Walmart to find a stainless steel dog bowl to make a vortex for the grill. I am gonna save 40 bucks

Family: WTF. Buy the vortex and spend time with us!!!

For me, my time has a value that exceeds the cost of any accessory so I buy things I enjoy. I truly need nothing but life would be boring with just bread and water.

I think long and hard about cookers because of the outlay. I am currently waffling between a LSG offset cabinet or insulated vertical. My wife supports me as long as she sees me really using what I buy.

A big key for me- what can I cook with my new toy that my family will enjoy. At the end of the day, it’s about the smiles I get when they eat my cooking. I feel ten feet tall when I hit it out of the park.

I probably have a weird viewpoint on this topic. Price doesn't really much matter. But what I am interested in with the toys is understanding how and what it does. Example being I have never cooked on or eaten food off a pellet pooper. I read here and everywhere else that the smoke level is less. I want to know first hand what that smoke level difference is. I also from a knowledge stand point want to then know what that difference is if you add a smoke tube. Not going to buy a yoder to find out and I don't know that I trust a pit boss from Walmart. I will probably end up with something in between. I recently bought a carson rodizio. There is absolutely no reason I needed one but I bought it because I wanted to see how it works. Not gonna lie, it was a cool experience this last weekend. This all being said, I don't see the greatness in the SNS. What I do see is that everyone has different needs and different things are valuable to them and at the end of the day if the person is happy with whatever widget they buy and they think it adds value to their cook then more power to them. Different strokes for different folks I reckon.

That was interesting! Tried to reply in that thread, but it's too old. I like the bricks. I can see where that would help the side of the meat that's facing the fire.

I may be doing it wrong, but I just put the water in my drip pan.

Probably too late now :-D but all you have to do to reply to an old thread is check the little box acknowledging that you are bumping an old thread for a good reason.

I probably have a weird viewpoint on this topic. Price doesn't really much matter. But what I am interested in with the toys is understanding how and what it does. Example being I have never cooked on or eaten food off a pellet pooper. I read here and everywhere else that the smoke level is less. I want to know first hand what that smoke level difference is.

I borrowed a neighbor's Traeger to see what it was all about, cooked a few things on it, and could really see the appeal. I wasn't terribly interested in owning one until that point, and he made me a good deal on it.

Now that I've bought a cheap offset, my pellet grill hasn't been used as much, but it still has its purpose, as do my Blackstone griddle and Weber kettle.

I agree, it's hard to put out money on something you don't know how much you'll like.

I know guy's who spend there money on hookers and coke. I feel my bbq accessory purchases are a little more justified. I do enjoy a good deal when I find one though. I'm a Craigslist junkie

Back