MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What's your stance on "mods"?
Most of them are unnecessary. 10 16.13%
If it works for you, do it. 22 35.48%
They're interesting to see, but I don't really use them myself. 2 3.23%
Mod me up! The more the better! 3 4.84%
Each smoker is a unique reflection of its designer, and beautiful in its own right. 25 40.32%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

KISS! Everyone comes back to this on the drum smokers. Love new ideas and trying new things but a basis UDS still works. Keep us posted bro.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
pinghacker
Knows what a fatty is.

I need to dissent from the KISS method (largely because it isn't my time or effort). I think the sketch looks great. The door probably was the major problem with you original build, but I see the rest as possible improvements.

There is a good amount of added work there. I would be interested to hear how much each element is valued after a few uses.

One thing I would make sure of is that there is no way for the ash and what-not to clog the air intake in that position.

Keep us posted.
pinghacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #18
capri man
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funvet View Post
hope this one works for you. I built a basic uds and have none of the problems you are having.sometime simple is better.just my .02 worth.

ditto!!!!!!!!!!! X2
brinkman smoker
big azz upright smoker
really ugly UDS
kingsford kettle grill
weber smokey joe platnium
big gas grill (sorry!)
capri man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #19
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

It's not labeled in the plans, but there is a small circular piece or sheet steel that will be in the bottom of the basket to keep the ash from falling into the air inlet.

RE: K.I.S.
I know, I know. But I couldn't help myself. See my signature? Lesson learned.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #20
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
IMHO, A guy should probably learn how to wrench on an old Monte Carlo and get it running good and reliable before trying to improve 1/4 mile times on a Ferarri!
Huh?

Anyway, I could try to fix the first one with the tape like you suggested but then two things would happen:
1) It would make the smoker look way less sexy.
2) I wouldn't get to do a second build!

I kinda look at that first SDS as a "concept smoker" I tried a few things out and they ended up not working. Moving on...

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #21
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsuosso View Post
I wonder if it would be a good idea to install a tee w/ plug instead of an elbow at the bottom of the long length of 2", to drain any condensate (rain) that gets caught in it.
I think that IS a good idea. Heading to HD today to get the rest of my hardware. I'll update tonight or tomorrow with everything I get done today.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #22
antoant
Knows what a fatty is.

It Seems lke the pipe going to the bottom of your smoker will be in the way when you try to move it using the wheels. I would move the wheels on the other side of the drum. It also seems like your intake is "poking" through your ash-catch plate. If that is the case, there might be a problem with the ash clogging your intake. Edit: I would put a cone of sorts on top of the intake instead of simple plate on the basket.

Simple does not make it better. It just makes it simple. There is always room for improvement.
antoant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #23
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post
This is my general blueprint:
Well, Dude, in all sincerity; Good Luck to you. Hopefully your design works out for you, but the biggest difference in your sketch compared to your old build is the elimination of the door. All of the rest of your mods are just details. As I said, Good Luck and keep us posted!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I always like seeing what new Mods people come up with for their UDS. I hope it all works out for you. I usually like to do one mod at a time and see how it works but, that's just me. I thought you're first one "looked" really cool. It's kinda a bummer it hasn't worked well for you. Keep trying man!

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #25
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Progress as of 4-22-2010

Here's the barrel and stuff, fresh from the sand-blaster. Got a better deal
than I thought- only charged me $30 for all that. Inside and out.

That's all I could get done today. Was hoping to get further. BTW, I highly recommend getting your drum sand-blasted instead of burning it out. 4-6 hrs of burning + another 4-6 hrs of wire brushing and further cleaning VS 1 hr of driving to the shop and back + 10 minutes waiting + $30... no contest.

Fire away!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #26
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButzBBQ View Post
I thought you're first one "looked" really cool. It's kinda a bummer it hasn't worked well for you. Keep trying man!

Thanks. That's kinda why I started calling them SDS's (Sexy Drum Smokers). Too bad it was all style and no substance. I now refer to Sean Puffy Coals as my "concept smoker." I tried some ideas and they didn't work. That's why I decided to build "Tu-Pork." Oh well...

Life's a journey; dig it! Or something like that.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #27
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Can the next one be called "The notorious eat-a-pig"

Might have to be an 85 gallon one though.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #28
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoant View Post
It Seems lke the pipe going to the bottom of your smoker will be in the way when you try to move it using the wheels. I would move the wheels on the other side of the drum. It also seems like your intake is "poking" through your ash-catch plate. If that is the case, there might be a problem with the ash clogging your intake. Edit: I would put a cone of sorts on top of the intake instead of simple plate on the basket.

Simple does not make it better. It just makes it simple. There is always room for improvement.
The intake pipe will slide thru a round opening in ash pan, and shouldn't interfere with the wheels- I mocked it up and measured it today. I originally wanted a cone too, but after the fiasco of trying to make a metal funnel for my last build with my extremely limited knowledge and equipment made me think twice. Also, didn't see much different in functionality.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #29
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahutchens View Post
Some creative ideas worth considering
No bottle opener?
No... don't actually drink a lot of beer... unless i'm at a party and that's all they have. Usually take a nice aged, dark rum and coke. Wine on occasion. Maybe I'll put a cork puller on it!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #30
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Sorry but I still can't understand why some don't just build it the K.I.S.S. way and be happy. It's a proven setup. Most that don't always come back here with complaints.
I wasn't really complaining, just explaining why I'm doing another build. But I understand what you're saying.

Quote:
I understand that it's fun to experiment...
BINGO!

Quote:
...but then when things go wrong there right back here wondering what happened. Good luck I hope you can work out the issues.
I know what happened... now. I admit I should have done a little more research before attempting the first build, but I thought I had a good enough handle on things. And thanks, I'll need it.

Tags
build, custom, drum smoker, project, uds