MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #1111
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Or one of these...

Woah I got to get me one of those

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #1112
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Since this thread is so long.....

And it seems same questions keep coming up I am reposting some of my thoughts on UDS builds.

I have not made a drum with tall intakes. But I have tracked builds and first time uses. I noticed 2 things. People that use 1/2 nipples seem to have problems getting to higher temps and take longer to getup, or they compensate with starting a larger fire and make it through. The only long intake drums i have seen work from the get go are ones that use 1" pipe and magnets. I think N8's is like that. Others have used 3/4" and only 2/3 up cans that seem to get control, better with only 1 elbow. People that have intakes near or above top of can seem to have total caos. I have seen people make bigger exhaust and get better temps but I would bet they don't have control. You have to remember all this UDS stuff is modeled after a basic BDS. Ask Thirdeye how easy it is to control and change temps from first burn. Some might disagree but on this forum. I first spotted Mista's drum and one a member started making known as EDS (Eds Drum Smoker). Mistas worked for him but access door leaked and intakes were crude torch cut holes. The EDS used holes with welded in nuts and bolts to plug holes. He also had a door and had sealing issues. I made mine and put a valve on it for control I got the idea from reading about how Stumps smokers controlled temps by controlling air intake and limiting fire. I will tell you from my first burn on the only issues I have had was when i did a trash man slam with my drum and made it slightly out of round. I use the band clamp to seal lid now. The other issue I had was getting temps up and i attributed that to my charcoal drawing moisture. I went to a new bag and problem solved.

Not to say you can't learn to control what you have built but look at the simple builds and notice they are happy from the get go. Look at Swampb who uses conduit plugs much like BDS and he has made several and even passed them on and all are cooking fiends now. Look at NotleyQ and he is cranking out awesome grub time and time again. Look at the ones Smookin has built. Ask Fatdaddy about his drum. I think he was about to back over it with his truck and if i remember right he went twords the basics and learned to use what he made.

All this is just my opinion from following the threads.
It is fun to out cool the next guy but some things work and some don't. I just advise if you are limited on resources and want a cooker that the masses here can advise on, go simple basic build. It will make it through and produce great grub. And while it is chugging away you can work on the mother of all drums and come back and toss my opinions out the door.

Found EDS Ahh Modlemaker
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ds+drum+smoker

Neils first
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=barrel+smoker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=drum

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #1113
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Norco's opinion is great. I want to second it. When I did the Team UDS build couple of weeks ago KISS was the mantra of the build. Two guys had no low and slow experience one had a little.
list
8 bolts, nuts and washers
handle of your choice
2" pvc male adapter and 6 or 7" of pvc pipe
Fire grate and cooking grate for weber 22.5 " kettle
rebar tieing wire
expanded metal 6 or 7" X 48"
Temp gauge for the side
flexible magnets 2 of the guys used credit card magnets they recieved in the mail
drill 8 holes, three for the air intake three for the cooking grate support 2 in the lid for handle and hanger
Temp control has been great. all drums have a sweet spot for temps. On these drums it is easy to find.

KISS Baby
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #1114
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
That would make short work of it.
Thing is they are a bit heavy so using anything under 1/2'' would be painful on the tool.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #1115
afreemaniii
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
And it seems same questions keep coming up I am reposting some of my thoughts on UDS builds.

I have not made a drum with tall intakes. But I have tracked builds and first time uses. I noticed 2 things. People that use 1/2 nipples seem to have problems getting to higher temps and take longer to getup, or they compensate with starting a larger fire and make it through. The only long intake drums i have seen work from the get go are ones that use 1" pipe and magnets. I think N8's is like that. Others have used 3/4" and only 2/3 up cans that seem to get control, better with only 1 elbow. People that have intakes near or above top of can seem to have total caos. I have seen people make bigger exhaust and get better temps but I would bet they don't have control. You have to remember all this UDS stuff is modeled after a basic BDS. Ask Thirdeye how easy it is to control and change temps from first burn. Some might disagree but on this forum. I first spotted Mista's drum and one a member started making known as EDS (Eds Drum Smoker). Mistas worked for him but access door leaked and intakes were crude torch cut holes. The EDS used holes with welded in nuts and bolts to plug holes. He also had a door and had sealing issues. I made mine and put a valve on it for control I got the idea from reading about how Stumps smokers controlled temps by controlling air intake and limiting fire. I will tell you from my first burn on the only issues I have had was when i did a trash man slam with my drum and made it slightly out of round. I use the band clamp to seal lid now. The other issue I had was getting temps up and i attributed that to my charcoal drawing moisture. I went to a new bag and problem solved.

Not to say you can't learn to control what you have built but look at the simple builds and notice they are happy from the get go. Look at Swampb who uses conduit plugs much like BDS and he has made several and even passed them on and all are cooking fiends now. Look at NotleyQ and he is cranking out awesome grub time and time again. Look at the ones Smookin has built. Ask Fatdaddy about his drum. I think he was about to back over it with his truck and if i remember right he went twords the basics and learned to use what he made.

All this is just my opinion from following the threads.
It is fun to out cool the next guy but some things work and some don't. I just advise if you are limited on resources and want a cooker that the masses here can advise on, go simple basic build. It will make it through and produce great grub. And while it is chugging away you can work on the mother of all drums and come back and toss my opinions out the door.

Found EDS Ahh Modlemaker
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ds+drum+smoker

Neils first
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=barrel+smoker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=drum
Simply farkin' awesome!! Thanks for consolidating all this information. I can't use the search function quite yet so it's nice of you to pull this in. I am getting more and more excited to get this built and post some pron.

Gear:
1-BWS Party
1-22.5" WSM
Guru Pitminder and Stoker system
afreemaniii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #1116
BBQ Enthusiast
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Scott

Well, heck I'll play! I have a UDS 1.0 and just built UDS 2.0

UDS 1.0 has a 1-1/4" air inlet up the side of the drum made out of conduit and welded into place. It also has 3-1/2 "nippels welded 2" from the bottom of the barrel. the exhust was 3 feet high, but it was to high so i made it a 2" conduit 8" long welded in th bung hole. the basket is 14x6 and the grate is 6" from the top of the barrel the legth on the barrel is 48" tall.

The UDS 2.0 has four 1/2" nippels, one of the nippels has a 1/2" ball valve on it. the exhust is a 2" inch conduit sanded down and buffed with a polishing wheel, and held in the center of the lid with a 2" EMT set screw connecter. The nippels are 1-1/2" from the bottom of the barrel and are held together by lock rings. the basket is 14x6 and the grate sits 6" from the top of the barrel. the barrel is 43" tall. My fingers are tiered from typing so enjoy the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1033.jpg (45.5 KB, 2011 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1034.jpg (51.6 KB, 2004 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1265.jpg (47.0 KB, 1998 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1264.JPG (54.4 KB, 2004 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1270.jpg (54.0 KB, 2008 views)

Old 06-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #1117
ThChrMn
On the road to being a farker

I'm just getting into making my first UDS.

What purpose or advantage does the longer inlet and outlet stacks serve?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #1118
Bbq Bubba

Hmmmm, looks very familiar.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #1119
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThChrMn View Post
I'm just getting into making my first UDS.

What purpose or advantage does the longer inlet and outlet stacks serve?
I'm not going to bad mouth either set-up but IMO the longer inlet and exhaust are more for looks.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #1120
ThChrMn
On the road to being a farker

They do look very cool but for my first UDS I'll keep it simple.

I'll chrome one out and add DUB's after I can prove to myself I can build my first one.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #1121
BBQ Enthusiast
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I'm not going to bad mouth either set-up but IMO the longer inlet and exhaust are more for looks.
ya the functionality wasn't quit there in the UDS 1.0 (long exhaust and intake up the side) That's why there is UDS 2.0 And your right bubba it does look familiar

Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 PM   #1122
Norcoredneck

That ain't all that looks familiar

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 PM   #1123
asada
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

i am currently working on my UDS. i just have to questions.

1- the charcoal basket i'm making is from expanded metal 7" tall wrapped around a webber 18" charcoal grate. the grate sits about 2" up. after building it just seems large.
can the basket be too big? should i try and build a smaller one?

2- i'm planning on putting 2 racks. the diamiter of my barrel i almost exactly 22.5. am i going to have a problem getting the cooking grates in and out the bolts sticking in wards? has anyone have this problem?
asada is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #1124
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Here are pics of UDS#1 2" side intake 3"X 14" exhaust now reduced to 8" 's
UDS#2 KISS mod 3 3/4" intake holes adujusted by flexable magnets and 2' X 7" PVC exhaust
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0323.JPG (78.3 KB, 1997 views)
File Type: jpg team UDS #1.jpg (48.3 KB, 2011 views)
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #1125
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlh3 View Post
Here are pics of UDS#1 2" side intake 3"X 14" exhaust now reduced to 8" 's
UDS#2 KISS mod 3 3/4" intake holes adujusted by flexable magnets and 2' X 7" PVC exhaust

shortened the UDS #1 ? does it work better now

and hows the PVC been holding up on #2 ?

Good looking builds for sure

and GREAT PIC of you and #2

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker