MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Spice/Rub Vendor

Our attempt to work with an area spice company didn't work out. Apparently, they are not looking for new business right now.

We have a catering & restaurant group that would like to partner with us on some rub, but we need a vendor. Their business and ours is seasonal, so we won't need huge batches. Right now we are looking for vendors to give quotes.

Anyone know of any businesses near the KC or Columbia, MO area? We know about Original Jaun already. Looking for other options, too.

Thanks.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Our attempt to work with an area spice company didn't work out. Apparently, they are not looking for new business right now.

We have a catering & restaurant group that would like to partner with us on some rub, but we need a vendor. Their business and ours is seasonal, so we won't need huge batches. Right now we are looking for vendors to give quotes.

Anyone know of any businesses near the KC or Columbia, MO area? We know about Original Jaun already. Looking for other options, too.

Thanks.
Todd, get a hold of Two Fat Polocks, I got with them a few months back regarding there supplier for there rubs that they bottle. I havent got to the point yet to do it. Im on a diffrent computer or I would give you the info. Get with them for the details, the prices were real reasonable as well. Hope this helps.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

There is a copack in kansas city that does only dry spices, but unfortunatly the name escapes me. I also think there another in north kansas city.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

You might try these guys......they are located in Parkville, MO.

Backyard Bash is Kansas City's year-round barbeque headquarters. Our diverse products include premium commercial and backyard smokers and grills, with a selection of commercial pull-behind and catering grills available for rental.
In addition, Backyard Bash has a large selection of locally made barbeque sauces, rubs, and other gourmet food items, as well as barbeque accessories, smoking wood, cookbooks, aprons, kitchen towels, collegiate items and more.
email: [email protected]
phone: 816-587-9990
web: http://www.backyardbashkc.com

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife
You might try these guys......they are located in Parkville, MO.

Backyard Bash is Kansas City's year-round barbeque headquarters. Our diverse products include premium commercial and backyard smokers and grills, with a selection of commercial pull-behind and catering grills available for rental.
In addition, Backyard Bash has a large selection of locally made barbeque sauces, rubs, and other gourmet food items, as well as barbeque accessories, smoking wood, cookbooks, aprons, kitchen towels, collegiate items and more.
email: [email protected]
phone: 816-587-9990
web: http://www.backyardbashkc.com
Interesting place Kim, but never heard of Parkville, MO. Is it in North KC up by the airport?
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
spicewine
Babbling Farker

PM me. Maybe I can help!!

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The easiest way to do it is to use ICA or Ingregients Corporation of America in Memphis, Tenn. Simply go to their website get their phone number and call them. The gentlemen we worked with at ICA was Tom West. They need a sample of your rub which will be sent to a lab to be analyzed and formulated. They will make a sample and send it to you for tasting. Once you ok the taste and texture, you decide on packaging and they will give you pricing. Provide your labeling and you are ready to go.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
ronnyballgame
Got Wood.

Default Parkville, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog
Interesting place Kim, but never heard of Parkville, MO. Is it in North KC up by the airport?
Parkville is a nice little quiet river town north of KC, but not as far as the airport. They have a great pizza place (rivals our Columbia MO Shakespears) and a nice little brewpub/resturaunt. It is about 5 miles north of the KC Municipal Airport (Downtown airport). My sister-in-law and her husband live up there.
ronnyballgame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #9
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyballgame
Parkville is a nice little quiet river town north of KC, but not as far as the airport.
Like he said.....I live 5 mins from the Kansas Speedway and Parkville is 15-20 mins northeast of me. Neat little town....lots of crafty stores, good food, and a little college town - Park University

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2006, 12:50 AM   #10
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife
Like he said.....I live 5 mins from the Kansas Speedway and Parkville is 15-20 mins northeast of me. Neat little town....lots of crafty stores, good food, and a little college town - Park University
Going to head there tomorrow with my oldest son. God help my debit card.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 11-18-2006, 01:01 AM   #11
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Going to head there tomorrow with my oldest son. God help my debit card.
Todd-
Just read your post... if you are looking for a place to produce your rub, Backyard Bash isn't it. They are a retail storefront - you might be able to sell it there. Planters in river market might be able to produce your rub, they do bulk spices, and rubs. I believe they will take your recipe and produce it in bulk for you...

Old 11-18-2006, 01:12 AM   #12
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo
Todd-
Just read your post... if you are looking for a place to produce your rub, Backyard Bash isn't it. They are a retail storefront - you might be able to sell it there. Planters in river market might be able to produce your rub, they do bulk spices, and rubs. I believe they will take your recipe and produce it in bulk for you...
Thanks for the Planters tip. I was planning to head to Backyard Bash for something to do tomorrow with my son, Michael.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
Brauma

Great thread y'all. I think ICA may be exactly what I've got in mind for my garlic powder and future garlic based rubs.

Doesnt look like they do marinades. Do you know if they do, Guy?

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

ICA looks interesting. I'll try to get the skinny on Planters Wharehouse and supply - and thier program and post here as well.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #15
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the Planters tip. I was planning to head to Backyard Bash for something to do tomorrow with my son, Michael.
That will be a fun time. They have some different grills to look at too... they sell Hasty-bake, Primo, and some others. As well as some pellet poopers and Tuckers, if I recall.

If you come out to the legends area, by the speedway/Cabela's come by and have a beer and some cuban pork Pasole. It's a great soup, and I'm makin a big pot right now.