I would place it at least a few inches below the exhaust.

You could always do the manual guru deal.
2267~Louis-Armstrong-Posters.jpg

HotandCold,

With mine I used an 18" nipple.
This is well below the exaust and seems to work well.
Also made my riser 1" while the other two intakes are 3/4".
This was suggested to me By H20Loo.

I did get a couple of puffs of smoke out of it while seasoning the drum "wide open", but during my cook last sunday I had one 3/4" intake open and the ball valve 1/2 to 3/4 open and had no trouble at all with it.

I might even change it to a 12" riser just for comparison soon.

2179577490103768466S425x425Q85.jpg

Step 1 complete, well sort of anyway. I got my barrels home tonight although I have to go back for the lids and clamps since they were forgotten at work. 3 drums, lids, lock rings, and clamps to mount the drums vertically to each other. That might have possibilities down the road. I didn't think $10 per drum was too bad.

I didn't look too hard at it tonight but the coating in these drums looks more like paint than the coatings I have seen before. With any luck thats all it is.

Now the decision......burn or sand blast:icon_wink

YEA IT'S LIGHTER FLUID BUT I ONLY HAD IT TO LIGHT THE WOOD TO BURN MY BARREL OUT. COULDN'T GET ALL THEM 2 BI 4'S LIT SO THAT'S WHY THAT IS THERE.:mrgreen::mrgreen:
Tell me that ain't Lighter Fluid I see?
Say It Ain't So!!!!!:biggrin:

YEA IT'S LIGHTER FLUID BUT I ONLY HAD IT TO LIGHT THE WOOD TO BURN MY BARREL OUT. COULDN'T GET ALL THEM 2 BI 4'S LIT SO THAT'S WHY THAT IS THERE.:mrgreen::mrgreen:
Just a Little Good Natured Ribbing, Bro. I bet if I looked, I got some stashed
somewhere.......
No Need To Shout....Lol!!!!:biggrin:

I know we all need a lil humor inour lifes, and sorry bout the cap lock always write like this.lol

Conflicting thoughts on drum prep?

So... I've read most of this thread (though not quite in order... go figure), and I know what I'm doing for my UDS construction, except that I've seen some conflicting reports on what all the prep is I need to do for my drum.

I have a reconditioned drum that has paint on the outside. The inside is unlined but has a light coating of rust on the entire surface. The rust comes off with a wire wheel fairly quickly. (Though in a perfect world I could be lazy and leave it alone... lol)

Should I do a burn and then take the wire wheel to it? Burn and then just throw some oil on it and season it with a charcoal run? Wire wheel and then burn and then season?

Sorry - just a bit confused on what prep I need to do based on the condition of my drum.

Thanks! :p

Sounds like this comes down to how fussy you are. Knowing how black the sides of my drums get I would only wire brush from the grill mounts up and then do a good seasoning but if you think there could be any harmful residue in the barrel well then I would do a real good burn or two also. Get 'er done - the weekend is almost here and its time to make some good eats!!

Sounds like this comes down to how fussy you are. Knowing how black the sides of my drums get I would only wire brush from the grill mounts up and then do a good seasoning but if you think there could be any harmful residue in the barrel well then I would do a real good burn or two also. Get 'er done - the weekend is almost here and its time to make some good eats!!

I actually brushed it out from the mounts up already. I was pretty sure the surface rust wasn't an issue for the majority of the drum, and that people were wire brushing after a burn for lined drums. I'd prefer to do a burn just to "be safe."

I'm thinking I'll do a burn on it this weekend and then season it up. Ideally I'd like it to be done and ready to go for next weekend - having a BBQ on Sunday. :biggrin:

Not sure if I'll get it looking all purty by then, but I'll just explain to my company that it IS an UglyDS...

Is there any reason for making the charcoal container round instead of square?

I got an old gas grill with a nice porcelain coated cooking grate in it that would make for a nice 14" square or rectangular fire box grate.

I got an old gas grill with a nice porcelain coated cooking grate in it that would make for a nice 14" square or rectangular fire box grate.

Most definately... Charcoal doesnt burn in corners...

Seriously the last UDS I made was for my Son-In-Law and I made mine square and about 8" up. I didnt see a difference in the first two cooks.

mines is round

oops i read that wrong. i have seen some square baskets in this thread

Last edited:
Ok, here is the progress on my charcoal basket and ash pan. The ash pan is 18" in Diameter and the charcoal basket is 15.5" and 8" high. The risers are 3.5" high.

Attachments

• UDS6.jpg
    UDS6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,377
  • UDS7.jpg
    UDS7.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,376
  • UDS8.jpg
    UDS8.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,375
  • UDS9.jpg
    UDS9.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,388
  • UDS10.jpg
    UDS10.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,373

I made the actual chamber round but the grate i used was also from an old grill and it works just fine

Attachments

• IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 1,365
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,363
Staydown - That is an awesome looking firebox. Are you going to put something on the tray to pull it up with?

jtwisted- that grate looks exactly like the one I thought I would use. Sounds like it would work alright, I just can't see buying anything if I don't have to. Thanks for all the replies.

Couple of my baskets are square with no problems. Don't think corners are a problem. Just my 2 cents.

Staydown - That is an awesome looking firebox. Are you going to put something on the tray to pull it up with?

Thanks but my mig welding skills are minimal. I am just learning. I should have tig wleded it but that would have taken more time...I am a certified tig welder.

yes I will but I have not decided what I am going to use right now. I have seen people weld a bar across the basket but I don't like the idea of that because I see it getting in the way.

I am still trying to come up with a good design.

Back