• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoking With Cherry

Brontoburger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just replenished my firewood supply after the recent crappy winter and out of the two cords about half is cherry. I've read that cherry is a good smoking wood. Does anyone have experience using it?

Use it all the time. Great on pork and chicken, gives a really nice deep color to the bark. Also good mixed with some pecan on brisket.

I love it. I use a mix of hickory and cherry on almost everything I smoke. It gives a nice sweet flavor and a deeper color on the bark.

I mostly cook with charcoal. The smoke wood I use is cherry, almost exclusively. The only other wood I use is oak, and that is with beef, and only until it's gone, because I don't want to let it go to waste .

I am getting a whole supply of cherry also this week. glad to hear all the good responses.

I use charcoal to fuel my fires, too, but I can't remember the last time I DIDN'T use cherry wood chunks along with charcoal, and usually some apple or peach wood, too. I love that stuff. Like others have said - its great with pork and poultry. Imparts a nice color to the meat as well. I wish I had a cord of cherry wood in my backyard, I have to buy mine in the bag at Menards or online.

And would this be a specific type of cherry?
Yoshino cherry is the stuff around D.C. monuments.
There are other flowering cherry types. Weeping cherry.
Black cherry grows large and in charge.
Cherry wood that actually produces cherries is another thing altogether.
So - does it matter?

Last edited:
Wild Black Cherry produces cherrys too. Usually only Racoons, Squirrels and wine makers utilize them though. At present (well for the past 4 yrs.) I smoked exclusively with cherry. I love it, but also love to mix it with Hickory too.

I use Black Cherry with pork and chicken all the time. Usually add some pecan with pork and sometimes add apple with chicken. With beef I like peach, pecan, and oak (sometimes hickory).

I love it on ribs and chicken! I keep hoping another one will blow down back in the fields soon.

Count me in for being a Cherry Poppin Daddy!
My favorite smoke wood mixed with either peach, apple, hickory or pecan. :eusa_clap

I'm fairly new to smoking and mainly use oak and cherry.they have both been great but when I do chicken I only use cherry it comes out with great color and not to smoky.

Back