Automatic Temperature Controller

Dillo_Duster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of you guys use Automatic Temperature Controllers (ATC)? What do you think of them? What one do you use? What kind of smoker do you use it on?

I am thinking about getting a pitmaster IQ110 for my WSM. On one hand I feel its cheating to use one, and will prevent me from really learning to control my temps using the vents. On the other hand, it would be pretty cool to set a temp and not have to worry as much, and it would be less effected by wind.

I use a stoker on my wsms . Love it, never worry about temp, water and I like "convection" it makes

I use the DigiQ DX2 on my WSM 18.5 and love it. I can't say anything negative about the 110 though. Lots of folks have it and get great results with it. I just chose the DigiQ because I like the user interface a little better. Both units and/or any other unit mentioned in this thread will work well for you.

I don't consider it cheating either. Some may but I love the temp control these things offer.

I like the interface on the DigiQ but I have a maverick Et-732, remote thermometer with a pit probe and meat probe. So I kind of think the DigiQ would be a waist from that aspect.

I guess I am really leaning toward getting one. (IQ110)

Silly rabbit, everybody knows the only cheaters are pellet cookers doh ;)

:thumb: on the pitmaster IQ110 for your WSM. Kettles and the WSM are what it was designed for and it works well. I think the price is up to 150 delivered so it's starting to get in the range of the big boys that have a lot more bells and whistles. If you just want something to maintain your pit with no other info or comfort - it's a great way to go. If you want a meat and pit temp monitor or remote capability or anything else, you will be disapointed. Bottom line - if you like toys and gadgets, buy a stoker or digi-Q. If you're ok with bare bones (as am I) the IQ is great.

bcuz of the dollar diff. i went with the iq110. and i love it got a et732 they r a match made n heaven 4 me anyways. would love a digiq but a little steep 4 my pocketbook

I use a home made controller with my wsm and love it. Generally speaking I know with my wsm on an average summer number I can open 1 vent fully away from the wind and it will keep about 250-ish but I like being able to dial in a number and go to sleep, run errands, etc and never have to worry about it. Some people think you're cheating if bbq isn't hard work, for me its all about making great food and I'll use anything that helps me do that easier and more frequently.

I had similar feelings dillo but I caved in this past week and order a digiQ. I think I will only use it for long cooks like Pork Butt but we will see.

You won't regret it! Night smokes are a dream(literally) and you don't have to constantly worry about temps. I guess I'm one of those people who worry too much about the temps and I don't always have the time to constantly babysit the smoker even though my UDS hold temps well. I have found myself using the smoker alot more since I got my iq110. I used to think it was cheating also, but like I said...I eat more que now.

Jim

I use an iQue 110 on my WSM, and do not feel at all like I am cheating. Not one bit!

I am still doing all the prep, and I am still mixing my rubs and making my marinades and brines, and I am still setting up my smoker, and I am still checking on the progress of my smoke, and I still make the decision as to when my smoke is done. I still make my sauces. All the iQue does is keep my WSM at an even temperature. That's it.

A temperature control device is just a tool, like a hammer is a tool. It can't cook for you. It can only help you cook better food. You still have to do the cooking.

Don't overthink it. It is what it is.

CD

My old coach used to say:

"I'll take mine and beat yours, or take yours and beat mine."

The old man was inducted in to the hall of fame a few years back.

Was he drunk when he said that? I have NO idea what that means. :crazy:

CD

Last edited:
I kind feel it's cheating but don't have a problem with them cause I know once I get a WSM I'll eventually buy one.

I love my Guru on my 22.5 incher WSM.

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

Back