MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
warren.miller
Knows what a fatty is.

What exacty is a tear down kitchen?

This commercial kitchen is obviously a big hurdle.

I Googled commercial kitchen rentals and nothing came up in Evansville Indiana??

What do you pay for a kitchen rental. It seems like a hassel to take all your stuff somewhere then cooking or preparing??

Would it be smarter to just invest in a food truck?

Warren
warren.miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

you best go talk in person to the health dept...

Old 10-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

Your hd will tell you if a tear down kitchen will work for you. You need a 3 bay sink and a hand wash station with hot water and refrigeration( not just coolers). It's not as complicated as it seems though. You can get by with 3 tubs for your sink but I wouldn't suggest that. I've seen people with this set up and tubs labeled "xmas Decorations" on the side and I wouldn't want to eat food that the utinsels they are using to serve you with were washed in that! Hot water can be obtained by buying an on demand water heater. (mine runs off of propane) For refrigeration I used a chest freezer and put a thermostat on it not allowing it to go to freezing. You can set it at what ever you choose. This is all for the state of Ohio so as suggested before go see the healt department. Let us know what you find out please!
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
warren.miller
Knows what a fatty is.

I called the HD...

They pretty much said I would have to buy or build a brick and morter. I asked about food trucks and he said they are not making it in our area.

My only option would be to make my garage or a temperorary kitchen.

He was taling about ceiling tiles smooth wall ect.. ALL heard was cha ching cha ching...

He also stated my smoker has to be under roof.

There has to be a way to get this done.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

There is a way to get it done, but it costs money. Looking for shortcuts wont get you anywhere. So many people out there trying to beat the system and running illegal operations and guys like myself and others doing it right getting screwed. It's going to cost you money to do it right, but that is the only way to do it. There are too many scabs in this business, be a real success, do it right. Good Luck

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
warren.miller
Knows what a fatty is.

Jacked up,

Do you cook at your restaurant or a temperary site or a something you have done at your house?

Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #22
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren.miller View Post
Jacked up,

Do you cook at your restaurant or a temperary site or a something you have done at your house?
I started with a kitchen I rented, also cooked on site at a lot of festivals for vending. I now cook in my restaurant.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I called the HD...

They pretty much said I would have to buy or build a brick and morter. I asked about food trucks and he said they are not making it in our area.

He was taling about ceiling tiles smooth wall ect.. ALL heard was cha ching cha ching...

Turning your garage or even building a small commercial kitchen isn't as bad as it sounds, Alot depends on your HD. But normally its 5 sinks ( 3 for dishes, hand wash and mop) designated prep area, hot water with a flow rate high enough to handle your sink size Refrigerator and storage area. There are a coupled of threads in Q talk of conversion/starting shacks and restaurants. Not everything will apply to you and your goals but it can give you an idea of whats involved with starting a BBQ business.

Here is mine involving a shack

Or marubozo on a restaurant

But I'm sure there is more.

Clint
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

That all varies. In California, and many other places...

The floor sink, and the mop sink must be a floor sink, there must be an air gap for the drain, so that water cannot backup into the sink. Same is true for the prep sinks. They cannot be hard plumbed.

All floors must be covered and single surface, all corners must be solid surfaced.

All refrigeration must be powered and have thermometers. No passive cooling, or passive hot holding for that matter.

Cold preparation, hot preparation, cold service/pantry must all be separated.

It does cost money, anyone cooking out of their kitchen is doing so illegally. Food trucks, especially NSF rated food trucks are a great way to have a mobile kitchen, and you can even park them at home, and work out of them. But, they are not cheap, a trailer or food truck will still set you back at least $20,000.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

how about using/renting a church or hall (like a VFW) kithcen to get started?
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #26
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

^^^^ good suggestion there

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I called the HD...

There is, follow your HD's regulations. The food service industry is highly regulated and those that try to skirt these regulations almost always end up "out of business".

If they do not allow any type of mobile kitchen then you will be forced to find/build a brick & mortar. Before choosing the "home site" kitchen option be sure to research city/county zoning laws, commercial kitchen plumbing/wiring codes, insurance, etc as well as HD regs. A "temporary" kitchen in your garage probably won't fly. Due to the regs it will probably need to meet commercial codes for electrical, plumbing, etc. We considered this route at first and found that the costs of converting our garage would have been about as much as buying/building a new structure on a commercially zoned site. Hence our renting of kitchen space.

I understand the desire/dream to go into the "BBQ" business but please understand that you will be going into "business" and that means following all the laws & regulations and expenses that come with it. I am not trying to dissuade you or anyone else. I am just saying that the way to go into "business" is to do it right or you will face consequences down the road. And some of those can be severe.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #28
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
how about using/renting a church or hall (like a VFW) kithcen to get started?
Some places like churches and VFW halls do have commercial grade kitchens, and they often rent them out. More and more, these places realize the value of the asset and do not rent them out cheap. Also, there are usually conditions, such as time of use and food storage that can be an issue. Most churches have not kept their kitchens up to code, and that is a problem, unless you are serving on site. A commissary kitchen is a totally different standard than a church kitchen serving food on site.

Pay particular attention to food storage when renting a place. Unless you intend to be very careful with supplies and buying, you are going to want dedicated food and equipment storage at your rented kitchen site. Nothing like knowing you have a gallon of cider vinegar at the kitchen, and arriving at 10pm to prep for Saturday and finding there is no vinegar, as someone borrowed it and was going to return it Sunday.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #29
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

Miller,
Is cooking on site not going to be an option?
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #30
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Question, what type of budget are you planning to start with?