MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Bob O Q Shawtee
On the road to being a farker

Default Like some help with my build

Well I couldn't leave the picture in the message because I had this error,
  1. "can be add post with links before have 5 post"
I havn't a clue what it means so I'm guessing it's BBB speak. LOL

I don't have the hang of posting pictures but I promise to have my daughter add some when the build is far enough along so there is somthing to look at,and of course the finished product and a cook. At this time there's nothing but scavanged items I hope becomes my new smoker. This cut and paste of a new charcoal grill similar to the one I am using as the platform will make it easier to explain what I want to do.
The diamensions are 36"x18".The lid is about twice as tall. The body is 14ga / .075 / 5/64ths. The ash tray barely visible above lower storage doors will seal air tite between fire and lower storage. The 2 adjustable height fire grates are behind the two small doors and move 4". Removable metal radiation plates will sit above fire grates and alow smoke to pass through small slots along intire front and 2 adjustable air intakes will be at rear between ash pan and fire grates. 2 chimneys will bi-sect top of door into 3rds at rear and extend down inside door. It would be simplest to mount radiation plates 2" above fire grates when fire grates are set to heighest position and meat grates would sit 4" above rad plates. 80% of surfaces above ash tray will be clad with 1/4" Hardee backer for insulation. I plan useing lump mostly and experiment with glowing coals and splits for butts,briskitts and whole chickens. And as you probily guessed,remove the rad plates occasionaly for steaks. My questions are; (A) what max/min rad plate thickness or is it even critical? (B) do I need more distance between fire grate and rad plate(it will adj from 2" to 6")? (C) should I increase distance between rad plate and meat grate?
I welcome your suggestions and comments and please state if they are from experience,research or thought to be something of interest. Thanks
Bob O Q Shawtee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O Q Shawtee View Post
Well I couldn't leave the picture in the message because I had this error,
  1. "can be add post with links before have 5 post"
I havn't a clue what it means so I'm guessing it's BBB speak. LOL

I don't have the hang of posting pictures but I promise to have my daughter add some when the build is far enough along so there is somthing to look at,and of course the finished product and a cook. At this time there's nothing but scavanged items I hope becomes my new smoker. This cut and paste of a new charcoal grill similar to the one I am using as the platform will make it easier to explain what I want to do.
The diamensions are 36"x18".The lid is about twice as tall. The body is 14ga / .075 / 5/64ths. The ash tray barely visible above lower storage doors will seal air tite between fire and lower storage. The 2 adjustable height fire grates are behind the two small doors and move 4". Removable metal radiation plates will sit above fire grates and alow smoke to pass through small slots along intire front and 2 adjustable air intakes will be at rear between ash pan and fire grates. 2 chimneys will bi-sect top of door into 3rds at rear and extend down inside door. It would be simplest to mount radiation plates 2" above fire grates when fire grates are set to heighest position and meat grates would sit 4" above rad plates. 80% of surfaces above ash tray will be clad with 1/4" Hardee backer for insulation. I plan useing lump mostly and experiment with glowing coals and splits for butts,briskitts and whole chickens. And as you probily guessed,remove the rad plates occasionaly for steaks. My questions are; (A) what max/min rad plate thickness or is it even critical? (B) do I need more distance between fire grate and rad plate(it will adj from 2" to 6")? (C) should I increase distance between rad plate and meat grate?
I welcome your suggestions and comments and please state if they are from experience,research or thought to be something of interest. Thanks
I think in simple terms, it means you have to have 5 normal text posts before you can add a link.

To post a picture you have to have the image file on the web with a public address. Then click on the icon that looks like a postcard and enter the URL address of the image.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote