MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #9436
Fornia
Full Fledged Farker

Default 1st time using a Guru on our Drum...before a competition. HELP?

Hoping to use 2 gurus on our UDS' for an upcoming kcbs competition.

Although I'm an Egghead, I have little to no experience with a Guru and hoping someone can ease my mind/put us in the right direction. In our newness to competitions, we need to get as much rest as possible...and last year was a constant worry about our drums bumping around all night.

I bought Guru's 3/4" threaded adapter for the ball valve....We have 1 cooking grate, with a grate slight below, where we normally place a deep dish pizza pan as the difuser.

-Am I capping all other intakes?

-Any advice on how to light when using a Guru?
Note:Without a Guru, we normally light 1/2 chimney, and place on top of the full charcoal basket.

-Any advice on how/where to set the pit temp probe? (I did buy the rubber grate post Guru sells)

-In regards to the deep dish pizza plate 'heat difuser' we've been using...should we keep it in? I'd actually like to replace it with an aluminum pan with water for the contest....so same deal I guess, right? Ok to use this?

In the end....I guess it'll be advantageous to test these out this weekend...so I guess I'm just looking for any general yeas/no's with using a Guru on a drum.

Thanks for any and all help....and my apologies for going well into things. The mind of a guy trying to chase the bbq dream? ;)

PsychedelicSmokeBBQ.com Berks County, PA

Follow us on Twitter @PsychSmokeBBQ
'Like' us on Facebook!
Fornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #9437
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornia View Post
Hoping to use 2 gurus on our UDS' for an upcoming kcbs competition.

Although I'm an Egghead, I have little to no experience with a Guru and hoping someone can ease my mind/put us in the right direction. In our newness to competitions, we need to get as much rest as possible...and last year was a constant worry about our drums bumping around all night.

I bought Guru's 3/4" threaded adapter for the ball valve....We have 1 cooking grate, with a grate slight below, where we normally place a deep dish pizza pan as the difuser.

-Am I capping all other intakes?

-Any advice on how to light when using a Guru?
Note:Without a Guru, we normally light 1/2 chimney, and place on top of the full charcoal basket.

-Any advice on how/where to set the pit temp probe? (I did buy the rubber grate post Guru sells)

-In regards to the deep dish pizza plate 'heat difuser' we've been using...should we keep it in? I'd actually like to replace it with an aluminum pan with water for the contest....so same deal I guess, right? Ok to use this?

In the end....I guess it'll be advantageous to test these out this weekend...so I guess I'm just looking for any general yeas/no's with using a Guru on a drum.

Thanks for any and all help....and my apologies for going well into things. The mind of a guy trying to chase the bbq dream? ;)
Yes, cap all other intakes.
Light it the same way you always did.
I run my probes through the vent holes in the dome, but a hole and grommet is in my future
I use a 16" clay pot base wrapped in foil.

Here's my hot rod UDS.

Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #9438
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Thats a nice looking drum^
pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #9439
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I am no BBQ Guru guru - but I do use one on my uds.

When I had 3 plugs - I would occasionally open them all for lighting (use weed burner method). My current UDS only has one hole - and it works fine.

I use a weed burner for lighting. I light just enough for the guru to catch and bring it up to temp. The weed burner preheats the uds, so it is a bit of trial and error. I do stick burns, which complicates matters a bit - they will ignite and spike the temp, but not have enough coals to stay lit once it is dampened down.

I use a drilled out tire stem as a grommet, it is just below the meat rack - I also have a second mechanical probe to double check temps. You don't have to drill out the stem much for the pit probe, you do have to shorten it and drill it out a bit more for the curved meat probe (I have 2 stems in mine, the second is 2" above the meat rack).

For the most part I keep my exhaust fairly closed - and let the fan force the air through (I am not using the guru fan, and mine does have a little draft when it is not running-mostly closing the top of the pit helps with this.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #9440
Airborne_R6
Found some matches.

Whoo hooo!!! I just finished reading this entire thread. I have a drum: free, closed end tan liner; and a Weber grill: $20 from the classifieds and now I just need to finish finals this week and I can build it next week. Will post up pictures when its done.
Airborne_R6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #9441
Smokendink71
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS bolts

Okay, got me 2 drums today for $20 and 8'x16" expanded stainless steel that a friend gave me but I have a questions about the bolts that I need for it, can you use zinc bolts and nuts? HD doesn't seem to carry stainless steel hardware in very large sizes and I have not got a welder so bolting the fire basket is the only way I have of doing it.
Smokendink71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #9442
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I have some zinc bolts in mine, and some stainless also. I have cooked on it for over a year and a half, and I am still around along with my family. You would have to get it awfully hot to get enough bad fumes to hurt anything.

If it's only bolts there isn't enough area of the zinc to matter anyway. Now if you were using a zinc coated grill, you might have a problem. That is my opinion, but wait for the "zinc police" to chime in. Good luck! Welcome to the DRUM CORPS.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #9443
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokendink71 View Post
Okay, got me 2 drums today for $20 and 8'x16" expanded stainless steel that a friend gave me but I have a questions about the bolts that I need for it, can you use zinc bolts and nuts? HD doesn't seem to carry stainless steel hardware in very large sizes and I have not got a welder so bolting the fire basket is the only way I have of doing it.
I used zinc bolts on the fire basket but stripped the zinc coating off with pool acid , in a pinch drop them in vinegar for a few days

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #9444
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokendink71 View Post
I'm one of the few that uses regular bolts. I don't cook at 700F+ so not worried about zinc off gassing. so guess if you cook at 700F+ I would get stainless. Otherwise don't sweat it :)

O for those wondering Zinc melting point is 787F

pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #9445
jldozier
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Usually, if there's a Home Depot, there's a Lowe's nearby too. My Lowe's had stainless 1/2" up to 3.5 inch long.

I burned the zinc off a large eyebolt in my basket design. Used a plumbers torch and MAP gas. The shiny goes away quickly, then the bolt turns yellow like a post-it-note. And eventually the yellow burns away and the bolt was cherry red.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #9446
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Why chance the zinc? Drop the bolts or whatever in some $2 gal muratic acid and in about 10-15 minutes zinc will be floating around in plastic cup. When you rinse bolts you will see them start to rust almost immediately. No more stainless for me,but still gotta be safe!

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #9447
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

So, I've read most of the bazillion posts over the past year and rather than going back through all of them to answer my question/idea I'll ask it here. I have the drum & I'm slowly making progress on the design and accumulation of "stuff" to finish it. I got a 22.5" donor grill (Char-Broil I think) and will need to add the 2" aluminum bar to the inside of the top of the drum for the lid to fit.

I don't relish the idea of leaning inside of that thing to clean the bottom. An ash pan will only catch so much and I want easy access. SO! Here's my question/idea. Cut the drum into two halves at ~2" above the fire basket height and add 2" aluminum bar around the outside perimeter of the bottom section so the top section will slide inside of it. If you can picture it the top and bottom will meet at the middle of the 2" aluminum bar and rest on each other. The aluminum bar will serve as a seal and a guide, and will hold it all together. I might also add 2-3 clasps to hold it all together. Has anyone done this and if so what was your result? Cheers!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #9448
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

There are designs where I've seen them put 2 drums together but really seems like it's asking for trouble from air leaks..

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #9449
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
There are designs where I've seen them put 2 drums together but really seems like it's asking for trouble from air leaks..

brickie
I'm thinking with a good clean cut and some sort of a guide so the 2 halves can be lined up exactly as they were before the cut, and with the 2" aluminum overlapping the top & bottom that there would be minimal leakage if any. But as a backup I could attach a gasket with RTV to the top section right where it meets the aluminum bar??

Old 05-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #9450
10_Bears
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post
Yes, cap all other intakes.
Light it the same way you always did.
I run my probes through the vent holes in the dome, but a hole and grommet is in my future
I use a 16" clay pot base wrapped in foil.

Here's my hot rod UDS.

Hey Mister Bob, awesome looking drum. I'm also doing a hot rod drum, a little different to yours though, and I was wondering what your method was to paint the flames. I'm tossing up on a few ideas, but just cant decide. Would love to hear about your flame painting experience.

Thanks mate.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker