MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the info Carbon.
I usually bake bread (I load her full) the next day after a "pizza firing" and a quick wet mop on the deck creates just enough steam for most type of breads.
My thoughts were that temp and time (held heat) should be an interesting test for a butt done overnight. I understand some bbq has been started at higher temps and moderated closer to target temps.
Perfect, by the time the hangover is worn off and time to start cooking again!
I have never used charcoal, I have a good supply of wood. (oak)

fingerlickn'-Thanks, I will get some "teaser" photos together and start a build thread.
I will better outline how I WANT to finish the smoker-and let the beatings begin. :-)
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

Sweet!
and you are close enough that i dont have to build my own
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Mass View Post
Hello fellow cheese head!
Finally stopped raining last night, now it is freezing pretty well.
I keep the oven flue and approach tarped during winter and inclement weather.
The dome has three layers of waterproof render coat and is done "moving". The few hairline cracks have been caulked. (this is part of the finish "process")
Once the weather gets into the 50's, two more render coats will finish the dome, a rain cap will be installed over the flue and the approach brick work will be completed.
I do periodically cook in it during winter or at least make a small fire about every week to ensure any moisture that may have "wicked" in is dried out.
Will be running her at full tilt all weekend for a significant birthday....
I AM going to try some "overnight" butt this weekend since with the door on, it holds temp very well...

If you have layers of waterproof render then you have essentially trapped in the moisture, you should always dry out the moisture then apply the water proofing agent.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Beef-you don't have a brick spit just east of downtown Ced by chance?
I WILL be hosting a bbq rendezvous once I get the smoker done and tuned in. Really look forward to sharing the experience with our fellow brethren!

V-wiz-I started a build thread with more details on construction process.
Briefly-As the oven is built, there is considerable amounts of time and small fires to cure each step (layer) of the oven. The render is not begun until the brick and insulating layers are COMPLETELY cured and dry.
Yes, if the render was completed before this it would hold in moisture.
The moisture I reference is really minimal. The fire brick on the inside is fairly porous and will hold a little moisture between firings. Similar to a stale saltine cracker.
It takes considerably more time and wood to get it heated to pizza temps after long periods of interactivity. When it is kept dry (inside) I can clear the dome (1000+deg) in about an hour. I also fill the oven with wood when it has cooled to below 300 deg. to both "pre-season" the wood for the next firing and help keep the fire brick "drier".

Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Here is a start at ideas for your snoker. it' a thread from about a week ago started my MariettaSmoker.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=153355

If this style interests you, I'm willingbto try and digbup some more info & details. Maybe others here in the SE can help also.

Thanks for starting the build thread on the pizza oven. My wife wants one so Ive been doing a little research but got scared away from the "kit" prices.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #21
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Thank you!
I did see that one. It is pretty cool, but more tending than I was hoping for.
With that being said, I think it is a concept I will try with the Tuscan grill (built between the smoker and pizza oven) when we do a whole lamb or suckling pig spit style...

The concept for the smoker is to use a fire brick fire box (insulated) to generate a large thermal mass beneath the food box above.
The fire box is separated by a diffuser made also of fire brick with a gap around the edges for heat and smoke.
Ideally get the box up to temp and let the heat energy do the rest, regulating air flow to control the smoke.
Thoughts?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Briefly-As the oven is built, there is considerable amounts of time and small fires to cure each step (layer) of the oven. The render is not begun until the brick and insulating layers are COMPLETELY cured and dry.
The moisture I reference is really minimal. The fire brick on the inside is fairly porous and will hold a little moisture between firings. Similar to a stale saltine cracker.
It takes considerably more time and wood to get it heated to pizza temps after long periods of interactivity. When it is kept dry (inside) I can clear the dome (1000+deg) in about an hour. I also fill the oven with wood when it has cooled to below 300 deg. to both "pre-season" the wood for the next firing and help keep the fire brick "drier".
I do the same with filling the warm oven with wood for the next firing session. I once threw wood in a still hot oven, shut the door, came back a couple of days later and found most had turned into coals. ...lol... I used them in my UDS.

I also went with the igloo design. Being in SoCal with its dry climate I did not worry about trapped moisture during my application of several coats of rendering. But as a precaution I left the very top of the dome unrendered to 'vent' any moisture, if any, trapped in the layers of ceramic blanket. I eventually closed off the top with render after several small fires.
For my final finish render I used surface bonding cement, or SBC (Quikrete Quikwall), applied in several stages. The texture blended well with the house as the oven was built merely inches away from the house.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Yep, learned the same way about storing the next batch of wood....
It is fun though to show guests a sliver of wood thrown onto the very hot floor nearly self combust!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Beef-you don't have a brick spit just east of downtown Ced by chance?
I WILL be hosting a bbq rendezvous once I get the smoker done and tuned in. Really look forward to sharing the experience with our fellow brethren!

Ok good, as long as it has worked out well.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #25
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I do the same with filling the warm oven with wood for the next firing session. I once threw wood in a still hot oven, shut the door, came back a couple of days later and found most had turned into coals. ...lol... I used them in my UDS.

I also went with the igloo design. Being in SoCal with its dry climate I did not worry about trapped moisture during my application of several coats of rendering. But as a precaution I left the very top of the dome unrendered to 'vent' any moisture, if any, trapped in the layers of ceramic blanket. I eventually closed off the top with render after several small fires.
For my final finish render I used surface bonding cement, or SBC (Quikrete Quikwall), applied in several stages. The texture blended well with the house as the oven was built merely inches away from the house.

Ya it seems like i have to do the same things.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
It is fun though to show guests a sliver of wood thrown onto the very hot floor nearly self combust!
Yeah, when you have people over you can show off your oven. I like to toss dry herbs into the oven .....they immediately vaporize and very aromatic for the neighborhood...lol..
I've even done steaks directly on the oven floor, including tri-tip.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

We have a good (and growing) selection of cast iron. You can fit a healthy size piece of meat in a 12"
Wings etc. are done in aluminum pans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pizza oven food.jpg (77.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg pizza oven food 3.jpg (84.7 KB, 145 views)

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #28
Gulf
On the road to being a farker

Default Recommendations Wanted, Brick Smoker Project.

Thermal Mass,
Sorry, that I can't help you with your smoker. But, I am watching with great interest to the directions that you recieve from this forum. Actually, that is why I am here. I am interested in all aspects of cooking with fire. Pizza is a great benefit of a WFO, but not my main interest. I see that you are also using your oven in all the temp ranges of the "cool down". Great looking food. I built my oven with with bread and meats mostly in mind. These things can cook one badass brisket. I will stay tuned to see what you come up with for your brick smoker.
Carbon, it looks like you've got it going on there.
V-wiz, I know that you do.

PS: Just wondering about insulation there Thermal Mass. There are several schools on brick ovens. Do you have insulation underneath your dome, and around the dome also?
Gulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #29
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, there is an insulating layer under the fire brick floor and over the fire brick dome.
Check out my built thread.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #30
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

That is outstanding. noticed your in Jackson, I'm in fond du lac. What times and days are the oven tours?
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote