MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Default The Beef Shake - a New way to look at Potroast???

The Shake - Beefpoint0hhh

Some of you may remember this thread -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=shake+funk

Featuring this Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMCyXZ-49Q

Well I got to jackin' round the kitchen and as usual I experiment without the smoker until I have all the non-bbq tweaks finished out. Below is a picture taken from my phone of the Shake Beefpointohhh, coming soon.

Now the logic is the same as I had when I designed the Shake. How can you make smoked pulled pork an elegant affair? A personal pork shoulder? So, the same rules applied. In a normal roast, pork shoulder or otherwise, the individual eater gets a limited amount of "bark." This is because you slice or pull off to the point most of the meat is internal.

The Shake recipe fixes this inequity by segmenting the pork roast in 8 fist size pieces, seasoning them, smoking them to form a bark then braising them in juices and onions. Does it in a fraction of time too! I did this for the rotary and they were DELIGHTED! Each person got a fist size chunks of pork that was full of bark and yet yielded to the fork nicely. It also allowed me to show off my bbq pork but set it next to collards, candied yams and popdaddy's soulbread.

So what about BEEF. In the picture below I separated the chuck roast into 4 pieces, let marinate in sir duke, seasoned george clinton and larry graham, with enough flour to haze the meat a bit. I seared each side (six sides) in the skillet to a d
elicious umbercolor, and poured in my liquid and onions. What you see in half the time are 4 chunks of pot roast with the onions and plum tomatoes topped over and over through the cook until they kind of caramelize with the meat.

I have thrown a few of these chunks in before (with the Pork version's rub though) into a smoker and smoked a bit, froze then pulled out later to finish inside in a braise. I hope to do this recipe later on the smoker... I bet after smoking you could simmer in a dutch oven on top of your stick burner firebox with great success.

Attachment 49749
sorry for the quality of the shot but you get the idea

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:30 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
btcg
Babbling Farker

No Smokey Robinson?????

Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

New pics

Attachment 49755Attachment 49756

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:30 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Could have really used thirdeye or rick on this photo; does not give it justice at all. The colors were amazing.

My wife noticed something too... as I was watching a movie in the bedroom I brought the plate in (she saw me do this) and ate at the bed. I took it back and washed it.... she came in just now (4 hours roughly since she ate it) and talked about how good the little personal roast was and looked for the plate. She could not believe the plate was not in there because she said it smelled like the roast in the room. As she looked for it she kept going on and on about how there was no roast left and the smell was making her hungry again. Eventually she left though.

I didn't have the heart to tell her I farted a huge fart. You know that ones so massive it takes no pushing at all and your sphincter sort of gets hurt from the massive ossilations... then you feel cold air as the outside air comes rushing in just before ur but closes up. So basically...my recipe is guaranteed be an advertisement for the dish itself.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
Odin the Dog
Full Fledged Farker

Odin the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #6
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I didn't have the heart to tell her I farted a huge fart. You know that ones so massive it takes no pushing at all and your sphincter sort of gets hurt from the massive ossilations... then you feel cold air as the outside air comes rushing in just before ur but closes up. So basically...my recipe is guaranteed be an advertisement for the dish itself.
Truly, Truly amazing. I could never tell SWMBO, but carry the personal satisfaction inside forever!!! Unless she made me really angry for whatever reason.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Donnie, great looking roast and hilarious story.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

"its not the end of an egg, its the beginning of a chicken..agggggh!!!!" George Carlin
"yeah I am fun in the coffee shop."