• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dome lid for UDS

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
While at Wally World the other day, I saw that they have a 22.5 inch kettle grill for about $40. Anyone have any luck with getting the dome lid to fit on their drum? thanks!

Well, we need a little more info than that... Who makes it? It also depends on your drum. They are not all the same size. I find that a 22-1/2" weber kettle lid will fit perfectly on most drums turned upside down. Cut the bottom out and weld in the top.

If it's the Uniflame that most walmarts are selling, the lid is slightly too small to fit on most 55 gallon drums. But there is the aluminum flat bar mod mounted to the inside of the drum lip that fixes the issue nicely.

559126_2306825366069_1941295915_n.jpg

Takes some finagling but it will work.

If it's the Uniflame that most walmarts are selling, the lid is slightly too small to fit on most 55 gallon drums. But there is the aluminum flat bar mod mounted to the inside of the drum lip that fixes the issue nicely.

Awesome! Can you get the flat bar @ Lowes or HD, or is that something found at a metal shop? thanks!

I just bought 2 of them as replacements for the lids I lost. Take a pair of plyers and flatten out the edge of the lid. It will chip the paint but you can spray high temp paint on the exposed metal. Place the lid on the drum, tap any uneven parts of the lip with a hammer and wood block. It will be almost air tight, but believe me....100% air tight is not necessary.......

I just bought 2 of them as replacements for the lids I lost. Take a pair of plyers and flatten out the edge of the lid. It will chip the paint but you can spray high temp paint on the exposed metal. Place the lid on the drum, tap any uneven parts of the lip with a hammer and wood block. It will be almost air tight, but believe me....100% air tight is not necessary.......

That's what i did in my second one. On my first one i had the guys in the fab shop cut the drum lid to fit diameter of dome lid and weld it together.Pliers and a hammer is easier.

I found a used Weber grill off craigslist and the dome lid fit perfectly on my 55 gallon UDS. I do like the flatbar mod to ensure a better seal though, great idea! I will be borrowing that one....

I found an old "Copper Mist" kettle at a garage sale. $3. The lid was minty, the bowl, not so much. I cut the top of the bowl off about an inch down, attached some stove gasket all around and smooshed it in the drum. Fits like a glove. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

P6180054.jpg

P6180050.jpg

Take a pair of plyers and flatten out the edge of the lid. It will chip the paint but you can spray high temp paint on the exposed metal. Place the lid on the drum, tap any uneven parts of the lip with a hammer and wood block.

This is easier done than typed!!! The only down side is the idea of tearing up something ya just bought:sad:. Easier fix than the flat bar mod, or the grind the drum top ridge mod.

I found an old "Copper Mist" kettle at a garage sale. $3. The lid was minty, the bowl, not so much. I cut the top of the bowl off about an inch down, attached some stove gasket all around and smooshed it in the drum. Fits like a glove. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

P6180054.jpg

P6180050.jpg

Looks pretty good.

Wait til you see the charcoal basket. :bounce:

Had to get an extra set of hands from my brother, but we got the strip bar installed on one of my drums. It's not airtight, but seemed to hold up well enough on a practice burn. Will probably cook on it next weekend.

As for the actual Walmart grill I used for the dome lid, it's such a cheap piece of junk and a fire hazard, that it's a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342945719.939023.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342945739.762775.jpg

I used the top of the Wally World kettle on a friends, used the bottom on my latest #5 UDS. Bolted the bottom to a cut out flat lid...works great.

Attachments

• 100_1133 (500x375) (2).jpg
    100_1133 (500x375) (2).jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 952
I have my UDS going right now. I used the aluminum strip method with the Wally world lid. Absolutely no leaks. I used hi temp rtv to seal around the strip.

Is the silicone RTV safe to use around food???

Honestly I'm not sure. It never touches the food and is completely dry.

EDITED TO ADD: I did a search on "RTV food safe" and found a post on another BBQ site asking is Permatex RTV is food safe. The OP sent a message to the Mfr and received this reply from Permatex:

Permatex has a High Temp. RED RTV Silicone Gasket Maker and is safe to
use around food products .It is certified
NSF/ANSI STANDARD 51 Food Equipment Materials ...( indirectly around
food )Temp. max. is 600 F continuous and 650 F intermittently ... The
Ultra Copper is not NSF

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have built two new UDS's for this year’s competition season. I have looked for a supply of domed lids that will fit a 55 gallon drum. To date have been stymied thus far. I know that one can purchase used 22 ½ inch smoker or grill and modify the lid to fit. In my search I found a great company "Toledo Metal Spinning" that could make them. They are wondering if there is an interest in the BBQ community to make these and have them as a standard item. These would fit a standard 55 gallon drum with no additional modifications. If you are interested in them doing this PLEASE email Jeff Earley at JEarley@toledometalspinning.com. He is going to keep track of how much interest there is. This would give the BBQ community a source for UDS lids. Please spread the word on other BBQ Forums. Thank you for your help.

A kingsford 22.5 inch grill lid will fit a 55 gal drum with no mods needed. If you can still find them... I believe they quit making them a few years ago...
Jim

Back