MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
It's sad that you couldn't finish, but it may be a blessing in disguise.

It was too close to the trailer, and that, along with the wooden deck/floor, made it a fire hazard. If someone was in the trailer and it started on fire, they could be killed easily.
You posed your statement probably unintentionally as if you were someone who knew what they were talking about in regards to designing a Pit Attached Commissary.

Attachment 38323
Here is another style... there are hundreds of these that serve vendors wonderfully.

Well, let me enlighten you as to the precautions that were taken by me and other who know what they are talking about. At one point I DID have to decide between wood deck and standard diamond pattern steel plating for a floor, which I would only spray down with much more flammable Linex anyway. Funny thing, after all the math, the steel would have been lighter!!!

Now you may have some working knowledge of flammability and fire hazards but I know one thing. The people who inspected my SURE trailer did.

After a FIRE inspection (which is explained later why I had to have one of these) The Trailer participated in maybe a total of 15 events. Each one got inspections by firemen (who of course check on electrical and extinguishers).

As far as a fire hazard, LOL lets see... no part of any of the floor surface, edges, beams ever was within any type of flash temp. During a Pizza cook (500 degrees) the right and left metal lined beam support got to about 98 degrees according to my temp probe taped to the side.

The bottom belly of the pit never reaches even what one would consider warm. The firebox hangs OUT front.

The stacks are held in with long metal brackets attached to the outer ceiling wood frame at a space of 4 feet front back left and right (until it contacts with wood) and by isolators (as advised by a friend of mine which was a fireman for 30 years.)

So lets say a fire does break out.... First, the Meat Mama is controlled by a stoker which has some pretty elaborate bells and whistles. This was linked to a computer inside. Power failure?.... temp goes down. If the temp spikes up, a I get a nice wake up call LONG before it does anything.

Finally, remember I got this pit up to 500 degrees. Thats literally TRYINT to make something happen.... I would say the WORST thing that could happen would be a gas explosion and that would have to be from actual sabotage (which admittedly could happen)

There are 12 feet between me and the pit. At an event with police on duty, and maybe 25 drunken centurions manning their pits, that has been inspected by DOT and by firemen who advised me before it was desgned, then afterward to be approved (oddly it had to go through preliminary building inspection for fire hazards at the request of the health department because no one had ever seen something like this in Connecticut) and alarms that warn me of a power failure or pit temp spike, Locks on my gas valves, and finally a 500 degree test that never showed the pit heating up any surface dangerously.... I slept like a baby.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:31 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
imfree2q
Knows what a fatty is.

Words dont express What i just seen! Blessing in disguise indeed..
imfree2q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
You obviously do not know what you are talking about.

The people who inspected my trailer did.

The Trailer participated in maybe a total of 15 events. Each one got inspections by firemen (who of course check on electrical and extinguishers).

As far as a fire hazard, LOL lets see... no part of any of the floor surface, edges, beams ever was within any type of flash temp. During a Pizza cook (500 degrees) the right and left metal lined beam support got to about 98 degrees according to my temp probe taped to the side.

The bottom belly of the pit never reaches even what one would consider warm. The firebox hangs OUT front.

The stacks are held in with long metal brackets attached to the outer ceiling wood frame at a space of 4 feet front back left and right (until it contacts with wood) and by isolators (as advised by a friend of mine which was a fireman for 30 years.)

So lets say a fire does break out.... First, the Meat Mama is controlled by a stoker which has some pretty elaborate bells and whistles. This was linked to a computer inside. Power failure?.... temp goes down. If the temp spikes up, a I get a nice wake up call LONG before it does anything.

Finally, remember I got this pit up to 500 degrees. Thats literally TRYINT to make something happen.... I would say the WORST thing that could happen would be a gas explosion and that would have to be from actual sabotage (which admittedly could happen)

There are 12 feet between me and the pit. At an event with police on duty, and maybe 25 drunken centurions manning their pits, that has been inspected by DOT and by firemen who advised me before it was desgned, then afterward to be approved (oddly it had to go through preliminary building inspection for fire hazards at the request of the health department because no one had ever seen something like this in Connecticut) and alarms that warn me of a power failure or pit temp spike, Locks on my gas valves, and finally a 500 degree test that never showed the pit heating up any surface dangerously.... I slept like a baby.
I don't wish to me rude, or mean, but I don't believe you. Getting a trailer inpected to haul (obtaining a license plate) is quite different than getting a visit from the fire marshall while you're using it. I doubt any professional competition inspector would it allow it to be used.

In a trailer, or any occupied structure, putting any grill in from of an exit is a violation, for obvious reasons.
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #19
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
I don't wish to me rude, or mean, but I don't believe you. Getting a trailer inpected to haul (obtaining a license plate) is quite different than getting a visit from the fire marshall while you're using it. I doubt any professional competition inspector would it allow it to be used.

In a trailer, or any occupied structure, putting any grill in from of an exit is a violation, for obvious reasons.
Look carefully, particularly at the original/first/before pic. His main exit is
located on the other side of the trailer, back by the bathroom & bedroom...
The door facing the cooker would be the 2nd door.

Funk, what type of tongue weight does this thing have? What would
you tow that with?...

Wow, looks cool.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
You posed your statement probably unintentionally as if you were someone who knew what they were talking about in regards to designing a Pit Attached Commissary.

Attachment 38323
Here is another style... there are hundreds of these that serve vendors wonderfully.

Well, let me enlighten you as to the precautions that were taken by me and other who know what they are talking about. At one point I DID have to decide between wood deck and standard diamond pattern steel plating for a floor, which I would only spray down with much more flammable Linex anyway. Funny thing, after all the math, the steel would have been lighter!!!

Now you may have some working knowledge of flammability and fire hazards but I know one thing. The people who inspected my SURE trailer did.

After a FIRE inspection (which is explained later why I had to have one of these) The Trailer participated in maybe a total of 15 events. Each one got inspections by firemen (who of course check on electrical and extinguishers).

Guy,

You show a picture of a serving wagon... apples to oranges as to what you built.

I commend you for your skills as a builder, but the dangers of this are all too obvious.

BBQ is fun. Trailering is fun... but not worth a life.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Now I will be more direct.

You are clueless.

After calling me a liar, and after your statement, to which I assume you read mine as you saw it fit to call me a liar (as I specifically mentioned the Health department forced me to get a fire marshal's approval for the City of New London - approval for them to give me the go ahead) I now KNOW you do not know what you are talking about.

In fact, initially when I called the City of New London the marshal said he didn't care what the trailer had on it because it was an outdoor structure and not attached to a building. I had to insist he come because it would be NEXT to other similar structures at various events which may in fact be next to a building enough to set it on fire. He came.

In addition, the trailer was seen by maybe another 4 marshalls from other counties in that state with no commentary.

There are maybe 16 companies I know of that design a mobile commissary with pits attached and even open grills.

So, your arguments exist in an alternative reality.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #22
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
And if a fire breaks out from the inside, blocking the other exit, what happens?

C'Mon, this is common sense, exactly why it's a code violation, and should be.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #23
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Guy,

You show a picture of a serving wagon... apples to oranges as to what you built.

I commend you for your skills as a builder, but the dangers of this are all too obvious.

BBQ is fun. Trailering is fun... but not worth a life.

Well then, its fortunate people who speak out of their arse cannot ascend to positions of authority. LOL

I hear your concerns, they are unwarranted, a similar design has been approved by the state of Texas now and submitted to the same authorities when I decide to build it... so looks like you are alone in this.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #24
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post

Funk, what type of tongue weight does this thing have? What would
you tow that with?...

Wow, looks cool.
Not to mention the entire back two windows are "knock out" windows.

I towed it with am E250 my partner had. Trucks suck! LOL Vans are cool because you forget all the space needed for BUN storage for two days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #25
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Well then, its fortunate people who speak out of their arse cannot ascend to positions of authority. LOL

I hear your concerns, they are unwarranted, a similar design has been approved by the state of Texas now and submitted to the same authorities when I decide to build it... so looks like you are alone in this.

Sorry to the mods, I should not have answered in kind.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #26
imfree2q
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

Say its not so!! Another one?
imfree2q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #27
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
And if a fire breaks out from the inside, blocking the other exit, what happens?

You know this guy could be right - what if I myself were to burst into flames.

I remember also another detail that was funny. The firemarshall sat in the back before I had torn out the furniture and he told me all the things I could do to make the trailer more safe. The one joke he made was my laptop charger in fact was on recall. He said after as many fires as he had seen in the last 3 -4 years, LOL, the laptop was the most dangerous thing I had on board.

He was glad to see it gone (i got a new one) when I served up Que at the Ledyard Fair - (to which he approved of my trailer mind you). We had a good laugh...

I could see how humorous it would be, making all these precautions and ending up being killed by my laptop inches away.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #28
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

It seems completely asinine to argue about something that no longer even exists.

I think the trailer was cool.
markrvp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #29
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree2q View Post
Say its not so!! Another one?
Yeah I am afraid so... but like I said, after my teacher's certification. Thing is, I am waiting for a good damaged trailer to come up. You would think after IKE there would be some.

Who wants to spend $$ only to have to cut it up.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #30
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
It seems completely asinine to argue about something that no longer even exists.

I think the trailer was cool.
Like the Pate Museum of transportation????? Is that still there Mark?

Thanks from:--->