MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
bstuk
Got Wood.

Default First Brisket Moisture Question

I cooked my first brisket yesterday on my WSM and came out ok. It was a 9lb brisket from walmart rubbed with just salt and pepper. Cooked at 275 for about 8 hours until it was probe tender and a temp of 200. The point I made into burnt ends and came out great but the flat was a bit dry. I foiled at 170 with a 1/2 cup of beef broth. Wanted to know what I could change to add more moisture or do you think it was just the cut of meat.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

Juice on the cutting board, nice smoke ring, looks like a home run!

Old 11-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Did you hold the flat? If so, how long?
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It is sort of hard to tell from a photo. It is possible that it was just the cut of meat. But, it is also possible that it is still slightly underdone and that your feel on the probe was not quite there yet, it takes a little experience.

I mean, it looks good from here

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
bstuk
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
Did you hold the flat? If so, how long?
I had it wrapped for two hours in foil and a towel before cutting. It felt probe tender to me but maybe it could have gone longer.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Adding a liquid such as Beef stock, beer or whombat piss either as an injection or in a foil pouch won't make any piece of meat moist! The moisture comes after all the water has been squeezed out during the cooking process and the collagen( the stuff that holds the muscle fibers together) melts and turns into Gelatin. It is the Gelatin that is what is associated with a moist piece of meat. This starts to happen at about 180 deg ( at the end of a stall) it is in full swing by 190 and drops off after 210 unless it was an old critter then It can go past 220. The longer the brisket stays in this range the better up to a point. I find that once a brisket becomes probe tender it it is allowed to rest wrapped in a single layer of Butcher paper or Loosely tented with foil on the counter the better the moisture content. as it slowly cools the meat relaxes once the temp gets into the 150 deg range the gelatin begins to thicken slightly.IMHO this is the optimal time to slice only what you need and serve. When you slice up the whole thing you loose gelatin on the board and your slices will dry out especially when reheating due the increased surface area.

Thanks from:--->