How to clean Rib Racks

Heimelswine

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Guys, I'm sick of scrubbing my rib racks. I Pam the racks before I use them, and they still get a build-up on them that I have to scrub off with a scotch-brite pad. What can I do to make the cleaning much easier?

I toss mine in a washtub full of warm water and dish soap...let them soak while I'm finishing other stuff up and then just clean with a Scotch pad...I do the same with the racks I use for all the meats I'm cooking as well as the cook rack from my WSM if I'm using it that day.

After a contest I put all my racks in a large plastic trash bag and squirt-in a can of Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Seal the bag and let it sit for a few days. Open the bag and hose off the racks. They're bright and shiney and look like new.

Dave

Throw them on the patio and let the dogs have at them.

Then a cycle in the dishwasher

My "dumb" dog will lick a farking grill brush clean.

Stupid dog

I popped the weld on a rack on my grates with the weed burner. But that farker does really work! I'll keep using it on the smoker and the shelf frames. I like the oven cleaner in a trash bag method also. I think I'll try that on the smaller grates. They can't take many more hits with the weed burner.

willkat98 said:
Throw them on the patio and let the dogs have at them.

Then a cycle in the dishwasher

My "dumb" dog will lick a farking grill brush clean.

Stupid dog

I sitting here at work LMAO! I'm trying to be quiet since I'm a cubicle resident. This ones funny! I have a picture in my head of this. Thanks for the advice guys.

I use PAM before the ribs go on and when they come off they go for a soak and then everything comes off easy.

Glad to make you laugh HS.

I am really being totally serious, and many a time, before a mow, I will find my NuTemp probes in the grass, licked so spotlessly clean that you'd swear they were brand new.

I throw my racks in a stationary tub with hot water, a sprinkling of powdered TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate) and a squirt of dishsoap. Later that day or next day a hard rinse and 99% is gone, other one percent comes off easy with green scotch pad. Learned about TSP and hot water cleaning beer bottles. Takes the labels off when bottles sit in TSP water for a day. The stuff is available at Lowes and Home Depot in the paint dept.

i put them in the firebox when im cooking. the stuff turns white and falls off.. what doesnt, comes off witha wire brush.

Also, when I run the oven in a self cleaning cycle, i put the racks in there too. That REALLY works well.

I would advise against the Willie B, 1 year method

attachment.php

I toss mine on the big weber gasser and crank up the heat for 30min. Then hit them with a quick shot of water from the hose and almost everything gets off.

If after a couple sessions there is more junk than I can get off I toss them in the dishwasher when the wife is not looking. :twisted:

My Klose Racks clean with the weed burner
The Webber racks wouldn't take the heat

oh yeah.... oven/grill cleaner stuff from Home depot works pretty good too, but ya gotta heat the racks up a little first, spray they, let sit, then hit with the hose. Not great for really heavy stuff, but gets a good amount of stiff off....

Lots of great ideas. I'm gonna take the advice and not follow the Willie B. method. The GF cleaned them once and she was done with that! Thanks guys!

.... most times I'm the serious 'neat freak', but sometimes I have to cry uncle!
For all my grate and grill stuff, I keep lots of SS and copper 'balls' ... large ones, of the smooth , skinny ribbon-like stuff. They don't seem to shed any material and really clean the 'accessible' surfaces. The nooks and crannies just have to get a little cruddy looking. I suppose a trip to the dishwasher once in a great while is a good idea. The main thing is, all of the major food contact areas get shiny clean using those pads.

... not meant for those who are in the commercial end of Q and subjsct to the crud police.

I thought that's what wifes are for????

Just don't tell mine I said that, I'll deny everything....

Back