MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #31
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

Here are some photo's of my kitchen from a cook I did this weekend addressing a couple of things the health dept looks for like dishes and handwash station. I lost a bundle on this cook! Planned for 300. Served 110! TEmperature was 90 and no one was hungry.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...51_91762067809
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #32
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodman
Here are some photo's of my kitchen from a cook I did this weekend addressing a couple of things the health dept looks for like dishes and handwash station. I lost a bundle on this cook! Planned for 300. Served 110! TEmperature was 90 and no one was hungry.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...51_91762067809
Thanks for the slide show Woody. Is there a minimum temp for the hand wash water?
Too bad the high temps killed your guest's appetites. You had a nice clean set up.

Last edited by Kevin; 05-30-2006 at 05:19 PM..
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:14 PM   #33
bbqjoe
Banned

Washing in a 3-compartment sink: A three-compartment sink must be used when using a sink to wash dishes and equipment. The order is scrape the dishes, wash in detergent (110°F), rinse in clean water (110°F), dip in sanitizing solution (follow manufacturers directions), and air dry.
Always store utensils and plates in a clean dry place. For glassware, store bottom up in a clean dry area.

Chemical Sanitizing: Approved chemical sanitizers such as chlorine, iodine, and quaternary ammonium. The effectiveness of chemical sanitizers include:
· Concentration: Product directions state the amount of sanitizer to add to water.
You must have a water test kit to measure the concentration of sanitizing solutions during use.
A minimum of 50 parts per million of chlorine mixed with water
A minimum of 12.5 ppm of iodine mixes with water

A minimum of 200 ppm of Quaternary ammonium mixed with water.

· Temperature: Sanitizer an approved chemical and water solution should be at a temperature of at least 75°F.

· Contact time: Sanitizing solutions need to make contact with surfaces for at least 10 seconds.

Believe this or not, regulations state that you may not wash your hands in your three compartment sink!
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #34
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

One thing I did not realize, is that the sanitizing solution is more effective when room temp. The bleah will evap out more quickly at higher temps! I quit using hot water for sanitizing!
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #35
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe
Believe this or not, regulations state that you may not wash your hands in your three compartment sink!
Oh yeah. Had the argument with the health inspector. I lost.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #36
bbqjoe
Banned

I was told of a story of a person who was washing a pot in the three compartment sink. Rinsed the gunk off her hands from the pot after washing it.
Cited for violation!

Hint: Pretend you are washing something in the sink while washing hands?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #37
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are folks required to have a seperate sink for food preparation?

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #38
bbqjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke
Are folks required to have a seperate sink for food preparation?
Somewhat of a gray area here. I believe I read somewhere it is okay to wash vegetables in the 3 compartment sink. (Don't quote me on that)
But if you were trying for a health dept permit, I would put in a separate "Prep" sink, as well as a handwashing sink.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:34 PM   #39
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Joe:

I am stopping by the county office tomorrow. My rig is being built now and I do not want to go back and add another sink after it is completed. I just purchased a three compartment sink and handwashing sink.

I am not 100% sure If I need a permit from the health department for my catering rig if I am doing corporate or private functions only. I am hoping to only need a business license and insurance.

To be continued! I will let you know what my county wants.