Instant Read Therm....

They sent me a deal on a refurb, I deleted it but it might be an option. Give "em a call?
I'd put the Thermapen in the buy once cry once category.

DSCF0066Modified2.jpg

Not gonna save you a bunch but I am happy with my PT100.. I went with the Maverick over the Thermapen due to backlighting.. Other than the other day when it read 7 degrees off my Mav 732 and I confirmed in boiling water and fixed with a change of AAAs I have been nothing but satisfied..

check out the maverick PT-100. it is about half the price of a TP. i have both and the maverick gets used often also, i especially like how it has a back light on the display. check out this video that was made by a fellow brethren:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNb_3NnsvRA"]Maverick PT-100 vs Thermapen - YouTube[/ame]

I can't afford a thermapen either. Bought a $15 Taylor digital and it works JUST FINE.

I can't afford a thermapen either. Bought a $15 Taylor digital and it works JUST FINE.

That is my issue. I purchased a cheaper Taylor and had major issues yesterday on my brisket smoke. It was reading 200 but was tough to insert because the meat was not tender and rendered yet.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like both the PT100 and Thermapen work very well.

I've done some research and read alot of good about the thermoworks rt600. I will be purchasing one soon to find out for myself since the thermopen isn't in the budget right now. I figure for $20.00 you cant go wrong

I have a thermpen now. I used to have a cheap wireless meat temp thermometer but I quit using it after serving pink chicken to my family. If you only grill then cheap out. If you cook a lot spend the money on good equipment.

By good I mean a pt-100. A thermapen is very nice but a thermo-couple should do. The copay for 2 people getting food poisoning or the time off from an undercooked chicken for just one day pays for the better equipment. That is how I justified the cost.

That is my issue. I purchased a cheaper Taylor and had major issues yesterday on my brisket smoke. It was reading 200 but was tough to insert because the meat was not tender and rendered yet.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like both the PT100 and Thermapen work very well.

It may have been the brisket you know.. It's done when it's done. Experienced brisket meisters here recommend not to use a thermopen on brisket because the temp is irrelevant to the tenderness. When it probes like butter, it's done. Your Taylor is probably fine. Test it in boiling water. If it reads 212F, it's fine.

Cheers!

Bill

It may have been the brisket you know.. It's done when it's done. Experienced brisket meisters here recommend not to use a thermopen on brisket because the temp is irrelevant to the tenderness. When it probes like butter, it's done. Your Taylor is probably fine. Test it in boiling water. If it reads 212F, it's fine.

Cheers!

Bill

Yeah, I understood it was the brisket. I didn't go by the therm. but by how it felt. Either way, it's bye bye taylor....

If you really wanna save some money, have a look at this. I have one of these and it's fully adequate for BBQ and grilling use...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/CDN-DTQ450X-ProAccurate-Quick-Read-Thermometer/dp/B0021AEAG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374447270&sr=8-1&keywords=cdn+instant+read+thermometer"]CDN DTQ450X[/ame]

It's not quite as fast as the Maverick and Thermapen but it's faster than any of the others I have used that are cheaper than those two. How much money is a few seconds worth? :)

I have the ThermaWorks thermacouple with meat needle. Its instant read, smaller probe and a few bucks cheaper than the pen

I have the ThermaWorks thermacouple with meat needle. Its instant read, smaller probe and a few bucks cheaper than the pen

This.

Go with the mini handheld Thermocouple meter and the Fast Response meat needle probe.

Cheaper. Faster. Smaller. And perfect for left-handed folks.

Back