My take on the Pork Rule

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMCyXZ-49Q"]The Shake - YouTube[/ame]

If they are gonna change it up. I'd like to see them really Change it up.
Pork category would require Sliced, Pulled and chunks in the box. That would make it fun.
It would also widen the scoring gap in that category. But the person that cooks the best Pork would always come out on top.

Last edited:
So if I could find a 10-12 lb. butt, if there is such, trim it to at least 5 lbs. prior to cooking, leaving the mm and tubes to be cooked, does this comply with the rule?

I am really getting a kick out of all the people that are saying this is catering to people who know nothing and don't know how to cook. Some of the folks I have been talking to that are most excited by this change are very well established cooks with enough statues, barreltops and crowns to fill up a room.

The other thing I'm amused by is everyone worrying about something they aren't going to be doing. If you like what you are doing, stick to your guns. If you want to experiment and start doing something different, then go for it, the new rule allows you more flexibility.

Personally, I am not seeing a whole lot of advantage in cooking all the muscles separately either grilled or cooked slowly but I have not done a lot of experiments either. Most of us have adapted our processes to already accomplish what this rule change seeks to do. I still think that this just gives cooks some more leeway to be more creative, which i think is a good thing. I'm as worried about pork fatties as I am brisket burgers and chicken salad.

I am really getting a kick out of all the people that are saying this is catering to people who know nothing and don't know how to cook. Some of the folks I have been talking to that are most excited by this change are very well established cooks with enough statues, barreltops and crowns to fill up a room.

Regionally or Nationally?

Has anyone actually tried to part out a butt and cook individual parts separately and see if there's any kind of advantage? My gut tells me that a piece of pork, no matter if attached or detached is going to need time to render and cook completely anyway, but if that's the case, then why the no parting rule in the first place? There's a lot of folks who are saying they're not changing anything. Surely there are also others that will.

I'm fairly new to BBQ and definitely new to competing, so take my comments as you will, but I have to wonder why all the fuss if it's not going to matter one way or the other?

Has anyone actually tried to part out a butt and cook individual parts separately and see if there's any kind of advantage? My gut tells me that a piece of pork, no matter if attached or detached is going to need time to render and cook completely anyway, but if that's the case, then why the no parting rule in the first place? There's a lot of folks who are saying they're not changing anything. Surely there are also others that will.

I'm fairly new to BBQ and definitely new to competing, so take my comments as you will, but I have to wonder why all the fuss if it's not going to matter one way or the other?

By some people's rationale on here, you can separate a butt and cook the parts in a matter of a couple hours... If that's the case, I'm going to trim my ribs into one bone servings and I should be able to get those cooked in about an hour.

What does it matter?

It doesn't. Just a question of curiosity. Based on what I've read here and heard in conversation, a number of cooks with barreltops, statues and crowns don't care one way or the other. However, most of the ones I've talked to are only from my neck of the woods.

I trust this is not directed at me. I can only assume it is because I am the only one that mentioned "catering."

I cautiously prefaced my post with the understanding that it was from a catering "perspective" and did so mostly not to ridicule the competitor (which I have had success in both worlds), but offered the technique mostly because since it was not legal before, someone may want a starting point since I have been doing this for a while. I certainly did not insinuate that anyone did not know how to cook. Please inform me where I said this?

This particular dish... essentially a portioned butt.

I also said I had no idea if it would win... only that it was really good. It had never been tweaked to win a contest because it would not have been legal.

As far as competition I go way back as Rick Flair... several of us do... so far back we NEVER thought injecting would be legal. Not incidentally, wrapping a but super tight THEN injecting it is a technique caterers have used for years LONG before injections were legal... and now that's an acceptable technique in competition.

Simply put, for those that want to, the Shake IS a good starting point for those that want to experiement on portioned cuts from someone who knows the process... just like people used to come to me when I injected, because I had.... and near my neck of the woods it was not koshur.... and no one else had the balls to bend the rules.

The other thing I'm amused by is everyone worrying about something they aren't going to be doing. If you like what you are doing, stick to your guns. If you want to experiment and start doing something different, then go for it, the new rule allows you more flexibility.

Personally, I am not seeing a whole lot of advantage in cooking all the muscles separately either grilled or cooked slowly but I have not done a lot of experiments either. Most of us have adapted our processes to already accomplish what this rule change seeks to do. I still think that this just gives cooks some more leeway to be more creative, which i think is a good thing. I'm as worried about pork fatties as I am brisket burgers and chicken salad.

Last edited:

I was attempting to answer this question because as near as I know, even in catering, I am the only one that does... and all the while wish I had of done it before when I did compete... but then again, I rarely went into pork territory in those days unless I was "Rib Rangerin' it."

I used to for instance suck at chicken while I did well in ribs and brisket. So some people may just not turn anything in.. a better strategy is to turn SOMEthing in, LOL. You'd be surprised how well a lawrys seasoned chicken half can do. LOL

Didn't y'all have the same consensus when that KCBS chicken salad rule came out? We all pretty much said, some will do it, some will do as they were doing it. Then "the pillow" was released. LOL

personally, i don't like the new rule, didn't like the old one either really.

more to the point, i think the learning curve just steepened. i doubt paul is going to do a 4 page tutorial on how to turn in pork according to the new rule. and that has some scared given the caliber of cooks out there and what they might come up with.

Donnie, definitely not talking about you......it has been implied that this rule change was only going to help the cooks incapable cooking quality competition pork as a whole piece. I was trying to point out that I have spoken to some very good competition cooks that are at least curious to the possibilities this change allows.

Bobby, I had a good chance to talk to a bunch of folks from all over. I think you're right many of them could care less but I was surprised at some of the excited reactions.

Sean,
I have only spoken to 1 cook about it, and he is a DOMINANT competitor. His opinion is that it will become a grilling contest. As I said before, I don't plan to change much about my turn in's but my cook timing will change greatly, as I can stagger my start times on the pit specific to the muscle groups, which will give me consistency in one muscle group that can be hit or miss. IMHO, if they are not going to police the existing rule, let's just change it to "Pork except Ribs" and let us really go nuts.........

How would you do that, without a DQ?

Jorge,

More of an FYI really and NOT meant to hijack a KCBS specific thread, but some sanctioning bodies allow sauce presented on the side (in small cups), and some of those allow multiple sauces presented... It gives the judge the opportunity to decide how much sauce they prefer, how much compliments the meat, and in the multiples situation which one compliments the meat best.

You all just keep yammerin about this, after all you have almost a full year to figure it out.
But remember this, your only talking about the beginning and middle parts. The final part of all this is when you drop off the box at the tent. You really going to put tube muscles the size of a good male member sliced up? You gonna grind it up and send sausage in for the pork entry? Should we expect crosshatch grill marks on the MM slice?
The job of a CBJ is to judge whatever you present in the box.
So raise your hand if you really plan on sending in pork sausage meatballs, if I remember correctly you cooks don't step too far out the box.
Ed

Back