return of the ninja

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
back in October I was put on a diet for medical purposes. no fat or cholesterol. period. that means zero meat, a death sentence to a bbq brethren.

well it's been over 2 months and I've stuck to it 100%. things seem to be close to healed so I decided to give a little real food a try and see what would happen.

enter the Christmas day prime rib cook. an annual tradition that I was gonna do regardless of being able to eat it. I look forward to this one as much as any cook all year. everyone loves when I make it, its freaking prime rib

so let the games begin. I got a big ole 9.5 bone in cab rib roast and seasoned it with oakridge carne crosta and their new spogos rub. I left it wrapped in plastic wrap until the morning

pulled it out in the morning to warm up a bit. at about noon I fired up the pit boss

I started cooking at noon for a 5 o'clock service. if it finishes early I hold in my roaster oven. I usually don't use a smoker, I use the roaster and sear on a grill at the end. the smoke flavor was nice and I could have not seared, the crust was good before I did.

the menu also consisted of glazed carrots, red skin mashed and the obligatory green bean casserole. of course every big cook something has to go wrong. I was making a mushroom gravy until I realized we had no beef broth or stock or anything. in a act of desperation I found some beef and vegetable soup, strained out the solids and saved the day. it was actually a pretty good gravy.

I still got it. cook to an intrenal temp of 130

I made a small plate. it took everything I could to not load up. I could have ate at least three slices of beef. I wanted the gravy straight from the boat

thanks for looking. can't wait to do it again. now its time to smoke a fatty:mrgreen:

Perfectly cooked That is what you call Good Eats :hungry::hungry::hungry:

Glad to hear things are looking better. That roast looks perfect!

Like riding a bike. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice looking cook. You get extra points for your willpower!

I know how much that must have tormented you because my wife often has to change her diet for health reasons, and when she has to change hers, I have to alter mine so as to avoid tempting her. (At least, when I am eating at home:twisted:) Hope things are improving and will be back to normal soon.

Frickin Awesome Steve!

It make's me happy that things are going in the right direction for you and your family.

Prime rib looks amazing...:thumb:

thanks alot fellas. only good thing about the diet is I lost over 25 lbs and lowered my blood pressure over 20 points. I'm still on it for a bit but wanted to do a test to see if I had a reaction. so far seems good

thanks alot fellas. only good thing about the diet is I lost over 25 lbs and lowered my blood pressure over 20 points. I'm still on it for a bit but wanted to do a test to see if I had a reaction. so far seems good

Moderation. Brother Ninja...........:-D

Back