• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
[ame]https://youtu.be/GbBFZstQRUY[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/wrR245Z7pGE[/ame]

I started these ribs with a slather of tiger sauce and the last of my secret weapon chicken and pork.

Its almost too easy. Let em ride to they ooze pig honey and then shut it down. Here they are just starting to weep but it's not done yet.

Ribs. Just in time for the throwdown

I'd be interested to see how these work on differing pit styles. I would venture to say on my insulated Humphreys Pint these would get over done, whereas on an offset, this works well. I played with this method on my old UDS, simply because the shutdown temps were quicker, my Pint will hold temp for hours after shutdown. The weep is fun to see though.

I'd be interested to see how these work on differing pit styles. I would venture to say on my insulated Humphreys Pint these would get over done, whereas on an offset, this works well. I played with this method on my old UDS, simply because the shutdown temps were quicker, my Pint will hold temp for hours after shutdown. The weep is fun to see though.

Originally there were disclaimers regarding using pits other than the offset. After some crowd sourced research i think its been concluded anything that shuts down in a reasonable time will work.

I think part of this method is just learning to use your senses to cook. Its not much of a method save the lack of all the bbq tricks involved. Its like an anti method. The only real trick involved is the long low hold, a great trick for brisket, that im beginning to adopt in some way to all my Q. Instead you use the visual cue of the froth, the smell... and that sound.

All this is lost wrapped in foil

This thread should be a sticky. Very helpful and informative

Here now its even better. These are quotes taken from a thread several years ago in which donnies methods were questioned. Just the highlights

Things happen to meat in surrounding dry air that cannot happen in a braising, steam and liquid bath) Weeping is one of them.

Of course its "coined."

I will put it this way... and not knowing this about my method will **** your head up.

When you cook meat the water in the meat begins to reduce. This concentrates the flavor in the meat of course... but how do my ribs, dry out essentially (don't believe me cut into one and eat it before its ready) and then revive themselves WITHOUT mopping, spritzing or laying in a bath and steaming.

Simple... and of course its also known to all BBQ joints that have been open in Texas for more than 60 years (the hot ones)

Because the collagen and fat are released and the moisture comes back from those things that were once locked up at the lower temps.

Speed then is the only thing left to address.

In both Briskets and Ribs, the speed you reach that weeping stage matters little (within reason)... but the amount of time spent in that zone where the collagen is released and dripping (and showing the pig honey) is crucial... suspending it in that time period is indeed a "method."

And the same avenues in the meat that help exit that moisture (or liquid) also are open to receive it back in.

Anyone disagreeing with this... please go to Ruths Chris. Or cook a steak like I do.....uh... or if you don't believe in meat reabsorbing.... by all means let me come to your competition and slice your brisket for a box RIGHT OUT OF THE GOD DAMN SMOKER!!!! :)

On another note... I am afraid to tell you that pig honey (of course not something that is new but one I have drawn attention to and yes.... I guess had a hand in naming) does not and cannot really happen in the traditional pit method as the top part of the meat is exposed to the cooler air and is mopped. So you would be wrong in that... so its yet another reason you may need to study up a little more before you get into the discussion. I would venture to say in the BBQ arena (which is more roasting than smoking) in the US it would have started occurring around 1905 when open pits began their demise as a response to theFood and Drug Acts and focus on sanitations. This is where we start getting the German smoking ovens which run hotter than the preservation slow smokers

I think I am satisfied with the "weeping method." The reson being is yo can do all sorts of once they are but when you do it.................is when they are weeping.

Weeping signifies what is going on in the meat - collagen carried by fat or something close to that. In my opinion, the longer you keep brisket, butt and ribs in that zone... and weeping is a visual of that zone (and in some smokers audible cue so you don't even have to open the pit to see), the better the meat will be.

Pull it off, you disturb the process. Keep it where it cooked... you prolong the process as the pit cools down and without disturbing the pig honey. Remember when Vencil said don't turn your meat (which I do) --- same thing... he said the flavors go into the pit and off your meat. I flip ribs before the weep so this does not happen.

As far as the claim its misleading, I don't think so... because none of it is relevant if they do not.

You see... once again though by 2008-2009 standards if you ever even entered a forum and talked about cooking ribs without foil or even at 270 you were laughed out of it. I know that from experience. So what I did... and yes, I am patting myself on the back... is document the process METHOD and show the world what hot and fast ribs looked like, not wrapped in foil, or bathed in butter and apple juice, with appropriate modifications for the time. From that point on... people adopted it and tweaked it for a myriad of different smokers.

Ribs so good looking they'll make you weep.

As far as Pit Master T's quotes above, I was just gonna say that.

Back